Solved

Building a desktop for sub ~1000$(us)

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Desktops
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2012 10:13:32 AM

Hello first off, this is going to probably be a pain but i need the help because I am now slamming my head very firmly into a wall trying to get this all sorted.

I want to use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .
(This card has taken my fancy if there is better for a similar price range please let me know, but for now I would like to use this.)

Anywho this has presented me with some interesting propositions and logistical errors.
I will elaborate to those who dont have an idea what those could be! The first being I believe I need to use a board that can support pci-e 3.0. The second being that in order to use pci-e 3.0 I have read I need to use an ivy bridge model cpu.

Now I am wanting to be cost effective for power here and I still need some parts like I dont know THE REST OF THE COMPUTER..I can make some savings if needed by taking ram and a psu from another computer, but i really would like to avoid having to do this.

Please take in mind I need to drop 100 on the os i want.

I have another option that I can do stand alone or with previous brought up cost saving method which is i can do some upgrading in 2-4 months but i would like a working computer that is using the ivy bridge and 670 before then only upgrading and adding on some minor changes like ie a case, some slight more ram, a diff psu, and etc.

Again to be clear i have 1000$us and i want to make sure i dont bottle neck the gpu in any way not even slightly. I want to make sure the thing runs. I also need to make sure i can afford it in an entire running computer form. I can provide more information!

ANY HELP WOULD BE SO AMAZING RIGHT NOW I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL!!! :love: 

A side note I would like to do some over clocking so Im not sure how much that changes things.

-sincerely,
Rob, one incredibly frustrated dude

More about : building desktop 1000

August 6, 2012 11:04:31 AM

Gigabyte GTX 670 - 400$
Intel i5-3570K - 230$

That leaves 370$ for the other parts. Do you have any parts from other computers that you can re-use? Optical drives, HDDs, SSDs, cases, PSUs, anything?

You could go for the GTX 660 Ti. Due to come out this month @ 300$. Should be similar performance to the 670, but obviously a bit worse.

What games do you want to play and at which resolution?
m
l
August 6, 2012 11:09:23 AM

I can reuse the psu its a 650 watt cosair, and i can use around 4 gigs of ram i believe but i still need a mother board... a case etc

worst case scenario i could replace the mother board, graphics, and cpu in my other computer cramming it in the stuffy case. But my end goal was to have 2 working computers and not really do an upgrade. if needed though i guess i can. Just I want to play some games at complete max, Mainly upcoming for pc Darksouls, and wow(which dosnt take much). Possibly though getting into more games like bf3 and want to over clock a bit and a stuffy case is not good for that
nor am i sure if my psu can handle it (it should just want to double check)

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814125423 GPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131821 MBOARD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819116501 CPU

I can probably afford this if i went with the just doing an upgrade path. Just need to know if its really worth it, compared to my other options, and how much i need to worry about cooling in my fairly stuffy case, along with can a 650 cosair psu support all that.
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2012 11:20:55 AM

Stuffy case = get a new one

Sabertooth: not worth it
GTX 670: worth it - GTX 660 Ti could be even more worth it
3770K: not worth it. 3570K performs equal in games. 3770K only better in movie editing, heavy photoshopping etc etc.

I'll try to post a complete build suggestion later on.

If you want to be able to use both your computers, does that mean you don't want to re-use your Corsair PSU?

If you can re-use it in the new computer, exactly which model is it?
m
l

Best solution

August 6, 2012 11:33:56 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $1100.89
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-06 07:32 EDT-0400)

Here you go.

That's 130$ over your budget - 130$ you can save by downgrading to a GTX 660Ti (probably -100$), re-using a PSU (-60$), getting a slightly worse HDD (-20-25$), re-using any optical drive (-18$).

Either way; I always recommend spending more $ than less $ when you can get as good parts as this for such a low price.
August 6, 2012 11:35:46 AM

I could reuse it for a while with no worries. I cant find the link for it but i believe it was a professional series had a blue light you could turn on in it and 48 volts total i believe.

Some complete builds would be very nice! =) again i would rather part my old comp for a long while if needed to get significantly better parts for gaming if its barely an improvement in gaming I would gladly consider dropping it but to me a 10% or so in gamming is something that matters, cause its adds up and will eventually catch up to you later down the road and earlier then if you got a better component!

Ty very much for your replies I can use all the help i could take right now! =)
m
l
August 6, 2012 11:37:34 AM

Quick spam-bump if you didn't see my other post while writing your's.
m
l
August 6, 2012 11:41:15 AM

Hmm i did thank you very much! gave me lots of help and things to think on! =)
m
l
August 6, 2012 11:52:04 AM

Great. Post back when you've thought about it and tell me if you still want to save some money.

About the PSU we're talking about re-using, Professional Series sounds like AX650 or HX650 to me. Any bells ringing?

Open the case if you're unsure. The model number should be written on the side of the PSU (HX650, AX650, CX650, TX650 etc etc).
m
l
August 6, 2012 1:15:57 PM

I dont have it with me its cost was like 110-120 i wont be returning to home for a while

edit: Ahhh discovered why a quick google search shows it could of only been a 600 not 650 watt

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... this is it i believe

a single rail with 48 amps

double edit: I would also like to say i have decided to spread this process out till around christmas so if i could have a list of better parts or more things i could get with out adding a ton on around 500 dollars more wiggle room. I'm looking for good quality test pieces not just things that match the bill for cheaper. I want it to be built from d*** reliable parts if possible and things that can overclock reliably and easily. More =better but so does quality
m
l
August 6, 2012 1:56:12 PM

The parts I listed are very reliable. Maybe you'll want to wait a bit and save up enough for a 128GB SSD.

Also, I see no reason to buy a new PSU when you have that GS600. Re-use it even if you won't be building until christmas.

The only thing I would say you're cheaping out on in my build is the case. It's a very good case for only 50 bucks, but there are better and cooler cases out there.

You won't really get better quality parts if you wait for christmas.
m
l
August 6, 2012 2:33:30 PM

alright sweet! ty. So what kind of things should i expect from this gaming wise? Also is the board easy to use to OC? Thank you in advance and thank you again for all the help and assitance!
m
l
August 6, 2012 2:53:20 PM

Quote:
Also is the board easy to use to OC?

Yes, I have that board and as nafoni said it is reliable as well as easy to use and ready to oc.
m
l
August 6, 2012 2:57:07 PM

alright thank you guys sooooooo very much you have no idea how long i was thinking and how hard i was trying to figure it out before i came here! ^^
m
l
August 6, 2012 2:58:35 PM

Best answer selected by robie392.
n
n
nEdit: Again i would like to know about roughly what computers performance gaming wise shall be?
m
l
August 6, 2012 6:23:32 PM

robie392 said:
Edit: Again i would like to know about roughly what computers performance gaming wise shall be?

Very very good.

Check out the benchmarks in this review.
The CPU used in the benchmarking build is better than yours, but since they are both very very equal when it comes to performance in games, you shouldn't really expect any lower FPS at all with your 3570K.

m
l
!