Realtek ALC898 vs Asus Xonar DG ?

djosbun

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Unless you are creating professional-level music on your system, you're not going to know the difference except with a good (ie-expensive) speaker system and preamp, or higher-end headphones.

iverieli

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
The thought that on board audio is just as good as aftermarket hardware (regardless of price) is completely un-true and a common myth.

I went from on board sound of a $200 Asus motherboard, to a Xonar DG using my Sennheiser headphones and the difference is night and day. The sound quality difference is so great, you will never use on board sound again. Try it for yourself.

You do not need expensive speakers to see the clear difference. It's obvious even with $50 headphones. At the moment the Asus Xonar series cards are some of the best sound cards you can get for under $100.

P.S. it's funny this site calls my profile a "newcomer" when I've had this account for about 7 years.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
From my experiences, the Realtek sounds a bit more flat, with less bass. The Xonar DG has a better punch, possibly better mids, and more sparkly highs, though I am unsure if the sibilance is more or the same as the Realtek. This was an upgrade from the ALC892 to the Xonar DG. Most people will respond with the Xonar DG being better in here, other tech websites, and other audiophile websites like Head-Fi. If you were using more analytical headphones with more clarity, then you may find a significant difference, otherwise, it's not devastatingly different to the point where you will say that the Xonar DG is 1000% better than the Realtek. If your onboard was a little bit older, Sigmatel 9227 for example, there should be a considerable difference.

Specs-wise, the Xonar DG should theoretically amp your headphones better if your headphones ever need it, though the on-board can produce louder volume from Windows Audio settings.

nleksan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
The difference you hear between the onboard and a dedicated sound card is pretty proportional to the quality of the speakers/headphones you'll be using. Inexpensive 'cans/speakers will not see much difference, mid-range components will be where you start to really hear the better quality of a discrete audio card.
I've been seeing the Audio Technica ATH-AD700's for $75-90 lately, and at that price they are a definite must-grab! Combined with a Xonar DX, Xonar STX, or X-Fi Titanium HD, you will hear a SIGNIFICANT difference in sound quality, audio positioning, etc...

monkeyskin

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
im kicking around the idea of adding some sound beyond the stock monitor speakers in my 23" monitor. now that ive figured out how to operate my 2d to 3d tri def software i am feeling a bit hindered by the lack of immersive sound with the 3d content. i have the Realtek ALC898 onboard chipset and am wondering if im only looking to invest somewhere around 50 bucks in a speaker system will i need a discrete card? i was looking at this particular asus sound card anyway.

heres a link to the speakers im considering http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116072

if these wont be affected , even moderately, by the use of a discreet id rather save the 30 bucks for another upgrade.

thanks

ufasas

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

Went from realtek alc 1200 with hd audio feature in asus p5q pro m/b to xonar dg! OMG NEVER GO BACK AGAIN TO REALTEK! Games/music sound dramatically more enjoyable for ear! Now i pwn more than ever in fps games, enemies stunned. For 15pounds, are you kidding me?