Graphics Card?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 13, 2005 7:12:45 AM

I'm going to upgrade my machine with a new graphics card to run WoW and
I thought I'd ask for a little advice here before I purchased anything, to
make sure I get something that will work. The website and information I've
found so far haven't really answered my questions.
Is a 128 MB GeForce 5200 graphics card sufficient to run WoW? (I found
a deal on one in a local shop.) Someone told me to get at least a GeForce
6200, but another said 5200 would be just fine.
I'm on a budget, but I don't want to get a card that won't run the game
properly.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Jonathan

More about : graphics card

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2005 4:39:50 PM

July 13, 2005 4:39:51 PM

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message

> Jonathan schreef:
>> I'm going to upgrade my machine with a new graphics card to run WoW
>> and
>> I thought I'd ask for a little advice here before I purchased anything,
>> make sure I get something that will work. The website and information
>> I've
>> found so far haven't really answered my questions.
>> Is a 128 MB GeForce 5200 graphics card sufficient to run WoW? (I
>> found
>> a deal on one in a local shop.) Someone told me to get at least a
>> GeForce
>> 6200, but another said 5200 would be just fine.
>> I'm on a budget, but I don't want to get a card that won't run the
>> game
>> properly.
>
> AGP or PCIe? I would pick the cheapest full DirectX 9.0c card I could
> get with as much memory possible (for the many textures in the game).
> Speed of this memory or the GPU is not that important to the game I
> think..

AGP, sorry for not mentioning that before.

> A passive cooler would also be nice. This makes your system very ~silent~.
>
> Maybe you could get the Nvidia 6200 AGP or an ATI Radeon X300 (PCIe
> only?), those are very cheap. Just don't forget the 256mb memory!

So, 256mb and at least a GeForce 6200 is the "bar" to go by?

Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate it.
-Jonathan
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2005 4:45:32 PM

Jonathan wrote:
> Is a 128 MB GeForce 5200 graphics card sufficient to run WoW? (I found
> a deal on one in a local shop.) Someone told me to get at least a GeForce
> 6200, but another said 5200 would be just fine.
> I'm on a budget, but I don't want to get a card that won't run the game
> properly.
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
> -Jonathan

I have a GeForce FX5200 with 256MB and under most circumstances
it does just fine, but I was in a 15 man raid in UBRS a couple
days ago and lagged like crazy at some times like fighting
gen'l Drakk when it's very embarrassing to lag. My budget is
tight this month, but I'm already thinking along the lines
of where I go next graphics-wise.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

Jonathan wrote:
> I'm going to upgrade my machine with a new graphics card to run WoW and
> I thought I'd ask for a little advice here before I purchased anything, to
> make sure I get something that will work. The website and information I've
> found so far haven't really answered my questions.
> Is a 128 MB GeForce 5200 graphics card sufficient to run WoW? (I found
> a deal on one in a local shop.) Someone told me to get at least a GeForce
> 6200, but another said 5200 would be just fine.
> I'm on a budget, but I don't want to get a card that won't run the game
> properly.
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
> -Jonathan

As it has already been discussed before, upgrading your RAM makes much
more difference than upgrading your graphics card, since the game loads
most of the world info and textures on main RAM. A 5200 is more than
enough to run the game at 1024x768 with full details (just lower the
terrain distance, it is the biggest gfx resource hog in WoW).
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2005 5:20:47 PM

"Stavros Christoforou" <stgreek@hotmail.com> wrote in message

: As it has already been discussed before, upgrading your RAM makes much
: more difference than upgrading your graphics card, since the game loads
: most of the world info and textures on main RAM. A 5200 is more than
: enough to run the game at 1024x768 with full details (just lower the
: terrain distance, it is the biggest gfx resource hog in WoW).

Interesting. I just got the GeForce 6200 with 256 megs of VRAM, and I have
1 Gbyte of RAM running on an Intel Pentium 4 (2.4 GHz) in a Windows XP
environment. With maxed out video settings, the game "hiccups" about every
three minutes. The screen hesitates for a second, and I hear a low-pitched
bleep from my speakers. This is most pronounced when I'm flying between
towns.

Any ideas on why this happens? Any suggestion for resolving it other than
running in a lower resolution? If not, that's okay, but I'm curious why my
hardware has problems when maxed out. What hardware specs do the
programmers use?

Thanks.

David
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2005 5:45:33 PM

Jonathan schreef:
> "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
>
>>Jonathan schreef:
>>
>>> I'm going to upgrade my machine with a new graphics card to run WoW
>>>and
>>>I thought I'd ask for a little advice here before I purchased anything,
>>>make sure I get something that will work. The website and information
>>>I've
>>>found so far haven't really answered my questions.
>>> Is a 128 MB GeForce 5200 graphics card sufficient to run WoW? (I
>>>found
>>>a deal on one in a local shop.) Someone told me to get at least a
>>>GeForce
>>>6200, but another said 5200 would be just fine.
>>> I'm on a budget, but I don't want to get a card that won't run the
>>>game
>>>properly.
>>
>>AGP or PCIe? I would pick the cheapest full DirectX 9.0c card I could
>>get with as much memory possible (for the many textures in the game).
>>Speed of this memory or the GPU is not that important to the game I
>>think..
>>

> AGP, sorry for not mentioning that before.
>

>>A passive cooler would also be nice. This makes your system very ~silent~.
>>
>>Maybe you could get the Nvidia 6200 AGP or an ATI Radeon X300 (PCIe
>>only?), those are very cheap. Just don't forget the 256mb memory!
>

> So, 256mb and at least a GeForce 6200 is the "bar" to go by?
>
> Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate it.
> -Jonathan

Maybe Stavros has a point and a
<http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html&gt; will also do the job (it has
DirectX 9 according to the site). That would be the absolute minimum
though! A friend of mine has 1GB memory and a fx 5700 with 256mb memory.
I think the game looks better on my own computer (an old 9700 128mb and
512mb RAM).

I like my games to look their best in the resolution that I play them in..

Thomas

--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
Anonymous

Thomas J. Boschloo wrote:
> Jonathan schreef:
>
>>"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message

>>>AGP or PCIe? I would pick the cheapest full DirectX 9.0c card I could
>>>get with as much memory possible (for the many textures in the game).
>>>Speed of this memory or the GPU is not that important to the game I
>>>think..
>>>

>> AGP, sorry for not mentioning that before.
>>

>>>A passive cooler would also be nice. This makes your system very ~silent~.
>>>
>>>Maybe you could get the Nvidia 6200 AGP or an ATI Radeon X300 (PCIe
>>>only?), those are very cheap. Just don't forget the 256mb memory!
>>

>> So, 256mb and at least a GeForce 6200 is the "bar" to go by?
>>
>> Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate it.
>> -Jonathan
>

> Maybe Stavros has a point and a
> <http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html&gt; will also do the job (it has
> DirectX 9 according to the site). That would be the absolute minimum
> though! A friend of mine has 1GB memory and a fx 5700 with 256mb memory.
> I think the game looks better on my own computer (an old 9700 128mb and
> 512mb RAM).
>
> I like my games to look their best in the resolution that I play them in..
>
> Thomas

Just to show how (non)graphics-intensive WoW is, I play with almost all
settings at max at 1400x1050 resolution, on an underclocked Ati Mobility
Radeon 9600 with 64MB RAM on my laptop. The difference? When flying,
with 256 MB RAM I get about a frame per 10 secs, with 1GB RAM I get
smooth graphics all throughout the game (except of course when I enter
Lagforge).

In fact, the game ran smooth (on 1024x768) even on my previous laptop
that had an Ati Mobility Radeon 7500 with 32MB. That is a DirectX7 card.
The 1 GB RAM made ALL the difference.

Stavros
July 13, 2005 6:06:31 PM

> Just to show how (non)graphics-intensive WoW is, I play with almost all
> settings at max at 1400x1050 resolution, on an underclocked Ati Mobility
> Radeon 9600 with 64MB RAM on my laptop. The difference? When flying, with
> 256 MB RAM I get about a frame per 10 secs, with 1GB RAM I get smooth
> graphics all throughout the game (except of course when I enter Lagforge).
>
> In fact, the game ran smooth (on 1024x768) even on my previous laptop that
> had an Ati Mobility Radeon 7500 with 32MB. That is a DirectX7 card. The 1
> GB RAM made ALL the difference.
>
> Stavros

The website says 256MB RAM is the minimum, is that true or do you really
need 512MB or 1GB to run the game without lagging out? Right now I just
have 256MB RAM, and I know I need a new graphics card. Even if I can run
the game without the graphics pushed all the way, that would be fine with
me.
This is the graphics card I'm looking at (I can get it for about $50
locally):

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N52...

I can upgrade my machine again in a couple months, so if I can run the
game "okay" for a couple months with this card, then upgrade my RAM later to
make things run smoother, that would be ideal.
Thanks again for all the help, this stuff is all Greek to me. :)
-Jonathan
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2005 2:36:18 AM

David S. schreef:
> "Stavros Christoforou" <stgreek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> : As it has already been discussed before, upgrading your RAM makes much
> : more difference than upgrading your graphics card, since the game loads
> : most of the world info and textures on main RAM. A 5200 is more than
> : enough to run the game at 1024x768 with full details (just lower the
> : terrain distance, it is the biggest gfx resource hog in WoW).
>
> Interesting. I just got the GeForce 6200 with 256 megs of VRAM, and I have
> 1 Gbyte of RAM running on an Intel Pentium 4 (2.4 GHz) in a Windows XP
> environment. With maxed out video settings, the game "hiccups" about every
> three minutes. The screen hesitates for a second, and I hear a low-pitched
> bleep from my speakers. This is most pronounced when I'm flying between
> towns.
>
> Any ideas on why this happens? Any suggestion for resolving it other than
> running in a lower resolution? If not, that's okay, but I'm curious why my
> hardware has problems when maxed out. What hardware specs do the
> programmers use?

AFAIK you do not have 256mb of video ram. You might only have 64mb. See
<http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce6200_pci&gt; (couldn't make much sense
of the AGP variant however, but since it is in the same price class I
guess it also has less than 256mb actual RAM).

Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2005 12:36:01 PM

"Jonathan" <jonathan@kelloggcreek.comNOSPAM> wrote

> The website says 256MB RAM is the minimum, is that true or do you really
> need 512MB or 1GB to run the game without lagging out? Right now I just
> have 256MB RAM, and I know I need a new graphics card. Even if I can run
> the game without the graphics pushed all the way, that would be fine with
> me.
> This is the graphics card I'm looking at (I can get it for about $50
> locally):
>
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N52...
>
> I can upgrade my machine again in a couple months, so if I can run the
> game "okay" for a couple months with this card, then upgrade my RAM later to
> make things run smoother, that would be ideal.

Forget to upgrade your graphics card as long as you have 256MB RAM. I have
2GB and am still lagging when teleporting to Orgrimmar. 256 MB is nothing,
and for WoW it's less than nothing.
If you want to have a new graphics card, well, go and buy one. But it won't
affect how WoW runs on your PC. If you want WoW to run better, upgrade
your PC with at least another 512 megs of RAM.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (56) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

: AFAIK you do not have 256mb of video ram. You might only have 64mb. See
: <http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce6200_pci&gt; (couldn't make much sense
: of the AGP variant however, but since it is in the same price class I
: guess it also has less than 256mb actual RAM).

Thanks for responding. This is what I have: http://tinyurl.com/79pa9 . I
have 256mb of VRAM.

David
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2005 6:22:43 PM

upgrade your ram first for sure.
i used a 5200 and it was fine but i saw more improvement from upgrade my ram

--
Mathew Parkin
AG&S/HiTech IT Support
"Jonathan" <jonathan@kelloggcreek.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
news:D b3t2q02p5l@enews1.newsguy.com...
> "Stavros Christoforou" <stgreek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>>
>> Just to show how (non)graphics-intensive WoW is, I play with almost all
>> settings at max at 1400x1050 resolution, on an underclocked Ati Mobility
>> Radeon 9600 with 64MB RAM on my laptop. The difference? When flying, with
>> 256 MB RAM I get about a frame per 10 secs, with 1GB RAM I get smooth
>> graphics all throughout the game (except of course when I enter
>> Lagforge).
>>
>> In fact, the game ran smooth (on 1024x768) even on my previous laptop
>> that had an Ati Mobility Radeon 7500 with 32MB. That is a DirectX7 card.
>> The 1 GB RAM made ALL the difference.
>>
>> Stavros
>
> The website says 256MB RAM is the minimum, is that true or do you
> really need 512MB or 1GB to run the game without lagging out? Right now I
> just have 256MB RAM, and I know I need a new graphics card. Even if I can
> run the game without the graphics pushed all the way, that would be fine
> with me.
> This is the graphics card I'm looking at (I can get it for about $50
> locally):
>
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N52...
>
> I can upgrade my machine again in a couple months, so if I can run the
> game "okay" for a couple months with this card, then upgrade my RAM later
> to make things run smoother, that would be ideal.
> Thanks again for all the help, this stuff is all Greek to me. :)
> -Jonathan

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2005 1:51:39 AM

David S. wrote:
> "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
>
> : AFAIK you do not have 256mb of video ram. You might only have 64mb. See
> : <http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce6200_pci&gt; (couldn't make much sense
> : of the AGP variant however, but since it is in the same price class I
> : guess it also has less than 256mb actual RAM).
>
> Thanks for responding. This is what I have: http://tinyurl.com/79pa9 . I
> have 256mb of VRAM.

Thank you for replying! I had it wrong (looked it up in a computer mag
this weekend). The 6200 TC is only PCIe and uses your computer memory to
reach 256Mb. Since PCIe is a very fast bus compared to AGP, this doesn't
hurt performance much. (if I understand the article correctly)

The 6200 AGP (which you have), however really has 256Mb (though probably
not the fastest memory available for video cards). It is also too
expensive to not have it. ($130, Turbo Cache is about half of that)

All in all, probably a very good (and affordable) card to play WoW on :-)
Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
!