SB Live! 5.1 BSOD

G

Creative sucks, i know i know. But i already have it and i don't have $ to blow on a new Sound Card. I keep getting a BSOD in Windows 2000 whenever i try to rewind or pause and restart a DVD with PowerDVD 3.0. The Channels are all messed up with sounds coming from the wrong speakers (DTT2200) and watnot. The BSOD says something about IRQ and emu10k1.sys or something in that vicinity. I got my NIC, SBLive!, and Geforce2Pro hogging the same IRQ which is 11. I have the updated VIA 686b chipset driver. I've checked the BIOS (Epox 8K7A) and it can't reserve the IRQ for gfx card. I'm an avid DVD watcher and I WANNA REWIND without a BSOD.

TIA

Ed

Specs:

AMD Tbird 1.0ghz o/ced t 1.4 (133*10.5)
256MB Crucial DDR CL2.5
Epox 8K7A mobo
Geforce2 Pro 64MB w/TV Out
SB Live! 5.1 (SB0060)
Dlink DFE-530TX+ Ethernet
Win2k Pro + Service Pack 2

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, every time I tell people what a pile of crap the Live is, enough people want to argue with me that the original intendant looses the message. I'm sure eventually someone will give you a bag of tricks to use!

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

G

i have the same chipset on an abit board (vh6-2). its been documented that via and sblive have issues when they are on the same system. i can get the url for you for the sblive site where it tells you what you can do to rememdy the issue... but for your own comfort here is what my irqs look like ... pretty much like yours i'm sure... but after a little tweaking you can get it to work just fine without having to sink bucks into a new card...

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard OK
IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK
IRQ 3 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus OK
IRQ 4 Creative Modem Blaster USB DE5670 OK
IRQ 5 Creative SB Live! SB16 Emulation OK
IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller OK
IRQ 7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1) OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 10 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro OK
IRQ 10 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 10 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 10 Creative SB Live! Value OK
IRQ 10 Creative PC-DVD Encore Dxr3 OK
IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 11 Promise Technology Inc. Ultra66 IDE Controller OK
IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 12 D-Link DE220 LAN adapter (Legacy Mode) OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
IRQ 15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK

the problem is that windows assigns its own irqs to the system devices regardless of what the motherboard assigns them... even if you do a bios call to set your irqs instead of real mode (set in your system settings - device manager). in your mb documentation it should tell you which pci slots are sharing resources with other devices.. generally your agp port shares an irq with your first pci.. and as far as the usb controller... thats is shared with the fourth pci slot. (at least on mine.. other via boards are similar i've heard)

make sure that your sblive is NOT on the first or fourth(?) pci slot... if you can.. move your decoder card there (to the first slot)... and do NOT put your sblive in the slot next to it... that should get rid of the sound issues (i had the same prob)

as far as the irq's go... go into your bios and disable your serial ports.. that should free up some irqs for your system... maybe that will move things around a bit... can you post your system information..??

(in the system information tool in the windows system tools section)

hope thats a start...

mike

MS.crap has performed an illegal operation in run.suck. If the problem persists reboot to Red Hat.

G

well... unfortunately... the link i was going to give you is dead... essentially though... it said pretty much everything i put in my last post... also... make sure that you have the latest 4-in-1 drivers for your motherboard... that should help a lot as well... but otherwise ... thats pretty much it... even though all or most of your important hardware is sharing the same irq... it should still work just fine.. windows does an ok job of controlling all of it...... windows will not let me change any of my irq settings manually... (WinMe) so most of the time you are pretty much stuck with what you get.. but as the saying goes... if it's not broke.. don't fix it...

my system:

Abit VH6-II
Intel Celery 700 oc'd 987 (94x10.5 fsb 1.85v)
cpu temp = 40 deg. C system temp = 35 deg. C (average)
192 mb sdram

and with all the other stuff listed in the irq table...(previous post)

MS.crap has performed an illegal operation in run.suck. If the problem persists reboot to Red Hat.