Hand Tremor & the Mouse

Hi, All!

I teach computer introduction courses to seniors - typically people 60+ and
some in their 80's. Because of hand tremor a few have really major problems
with the mouse.

One guy in my present group has major problems. Because of quite severe
tremor he clicks when he doesn't mean to, can't hold the mouse steady enough
to click on any particular icon or button, clicks and drags when he intends
to just click, etc. The result is very frustrating for him.

Can anyone suggest customisation or other options that would help people
with this type of disability. Voice commands have occurred to me but this
particular learner also has a very strong German accent.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Richard
5 answers Last reply
More about hand tremor mouse

    Richard wrote:
    > I teach computer introduction courses to seniors - typically people
    > 60+ and some in their 80's. Because of hand tremor a few have really
    > major problems with the mouse.
    >
    > One guy in my present group has major problems. Because of quite
    > severe tremor he clicks when he doesn't mean to, can't hold the mouse
    > steady enough to click on any particular icon or button, clicks and
    > drags when he intends to just click, etc. The result is very
    > frustrating for him.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest customisation or other options that would help
    > people with this type of disability. Voice commands have occurred to
    > me but this particular learner also has a very strong German accent.

    Trackball? The ones with the larger (palm-sized) ball..

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:54:02 -0700, Richard wrote:

    > Hi, All!
    >
    > I teach computer introduction courses to seniors - typically people 60+ and
    > some in their 80's. Because of hand tremor a few have really major problems
    > with the mouse.
    >
    > One guy in my present group has major problems. Because of quite severe
    > tremor he clicks when he doesn't mean to, can't hold the mouse steady enough
    > to click on any particular icon or button, clicks and drags when he intends
    > to just click, etc. The result is very frustrating for him.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest customisation or other options that would help people
    > with this type of disability. Voice commands have occurred to me but this
    > particular learner also has a very strong German accent.
    >
    > Many thanks for any suggestions!
    >
    > Richard

    You've received some good suggestions already. Learning some of the builtin
    keyboard shortcuts might be helpful too. There are about 3 different lists
    in Help and Support that cover all kinds of operations. Type keyboard
    shortcuts into the search box to locate them. Print them out to create
    handy reference sheets.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Try decreasing the sensitivity of the mouse. That way it is more tolerant to
    jitters.
    In Control Panel select Mouse
    On the Pointer Options tab
    Set the Motion slider down a cou[ple of notches.
    Also try enabling Snap To, this jumps the pointer to dialog buttons etc.

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, All!
    >
    > I teach computer introduction courses to seniors - typically people 60+
    and
    > some in their 80's. Because of hand tremor a few have really major
    problems
    > with the mouse.
    >
    > One guy in my present group has major problems. Because of quite severe
    > tremor he clicks when he doesn't mean to, can't hold the mouse steady
    enough
    > to click on any particular icon or button, clicks and drags when he
    intends
    > to just click, etc. The result is very frustrating for him.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest customisation or other options that would help people
    > with this type of disability. Voice commands have occurred to me but this
    > particular learner also has a very strong German accent.
    >
    > Many thanks for any suggestions!
    >
    > Richard

    MouseKeys option in Accessibility Options might be helpful.
    Also a trackball is another good idea, and further, do what I do:
    Get the self-adhesive Velcro, and fasten the Trackball to the table. It can
    be moved for other users if required. Just distribute the Velcro pieces
    somewhat evenly for balance.

    T. Waters wrote:
    > MouseKeys option in Accessibility Options might be helpful.
    > Also a trackball is another good idea, and further, do what I do:
    > Get the self-adhesive Velcro, and fasten the Trackball to the table. It can
    > be moved for other users if required. Just distribute the Velcro pieces
    > somewhat evenly for balance.
    >
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, All!
    >>
    >>I teach computer introduction courses to seniors - typically people
    >>60+ and some in their 80's. Because of hand tremor a few have really
    >>major problems with the mouse.
    >>
    >>One guy in my present group has major problems. Because of quite
    >>severe tremor he clicks when he doesn't mean to, can't hold the mouse
    >>steady enough to click on any particular icon or button, clicks and
    >>drags when he intends to just click, etc. The result is very
    >>frustrating for him.
    >>
    >>Can anyone suggest customisation or other options that would help
    >>people with this type of disability. Voice commands have occurred to
    >>me but this particular learner also has a very strong German accent.
    >>
    >>Many thanks for any suggestions!
    >>
    >>Richard

    A few months ago I came across an article about a mouse that is suppose
    to help with tremors. I couldn't find the exact article, however I did
    remember that IBM had something to do with the technology. It has taken
    a few days to get something for you and I'm sure that this can set you
    on a decent course. The device is manufactured in the UK, costs $99 USD
    plus $8 USD shipping. The gentleman having the problem might do right
    by checking the item online at:

    http://www.montrosesecam.com/index1.html

    Good luck

Configuration Mice Customization Windows XP