Hand Tremor & the Mouse

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, All!

I teach computer introduction courses to seniors - typically people 60+ and
some in their 80's. Because of hand tremor a few have really major problems
with the mouse.

One guy in my present group has major problems. Because of quite severe
tremor he clicks when he doesn't mean to, can't hold the mouse steady enough
to click on any particular icon or button, clicks and drags when he intends
to just click, etc. The result is very frustrating for him.

Can anyone suggest customisation or other options that would help people
with this type of disability. Voice commands have occurred to me but this
particular learner also has a very strong German accent.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Richard

Richard wrote:
> I teach computer introduction courses to seniors - typically people
> 60+ and some in their 80's. Because of hand tremor a few have really
> major problems with the mouse.
>
> One guy in my present group has major problems. Because of quite
> severe tremor he clicks when he doesn't mean to, can't hold the mouse
> steady enough to click on any particular icon or button, clicks and
> drags when he intends to just click, etc. The result is very
> frustrating for him.
>
> Can anyone suggest customisation or other options that would help
> people with this type of disability. Voice commands have occurred to
> me but this particular learner also has a very strong German accent.

Trackball? The ones with the larger (palm-sized) ball..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:54:02 -0700, Richard wrote:

> Hi, All!
>
> I teach computer introduction courses to seniors - typically people 60+ and
> some in their 80's. Because of hand tremor a few have really major problems
> with the mouse.
>
> One guy in my present group has major problems. Because of quite severe
> tremor he clicks when he doesn't mean to, can't hold the mouse steady enough
> to click on any particular icon or button, clicks and drags when he intends
> to just click, etc. The result is very frustrating for him.
>
> Can anyone suggest customisation or other options that would help people
> with this type of disability. Voice commands have occurred to me but this
> particular learner also has a very strong German accent.
>
> Many thanks for any suggestions!
>
> Richard

You've received some good suggestions already. Learning some of the builtin
keyboard shortcuts might be helpful too. There are about 3 different lists
in Help and Support that cover all kinds of operations. Type keyboard
shortcuts into the search box to locate them. Print them out to create
handy reference sheets.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Try decreasing the sensitivity of the mouse. That way it is more tolerant to
jitters.
In Control Panel select Mouse
On the Pointer Options tab
Set the Motion slider down a cou[ple of notches.
Also try enabling Snap To, this jumps the pointer to dialog buttons etc.

Regards
Mark Dormer

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, All!
>
> I teach computer introduction courses to seniors - typically people 60+
and
> some in their 80's. Because of hand tremor a few have really major
problems
> with the mouse.
>
> One guy in my present group has major problems. Because of quite severe
> tremor he clicks when he doesn't mean to, can't hold the mouse steady
enough
> to click on any particular icon or button, clicks and drags when he
intends
> to just click, etc. The result is very frustrating for him.
>
> Can anyone suggest customisation or other options that would help people
> with this type of disability. Voice commands have occurred to me but this
> particular learner also has a very strong German accent.
>
> Many thanks for any suggestions!
>
> Richard

MouseKeys option in Accessibility Options might be helpful.
Also a trackball is another good idea, and further, do what I do:
Get the self-adhesive Velcro, and fasten the Trackball to the table. It can
be moved for other users if required. Just distribute the Velcro pieces
somewhat evenly for balance.

T. Waters wrote:
> MouseKeys option in Accessibility Options might be helpful.
> Also a trackball is another good idea, and further, do what I do:
> Get the self-adhesive Velcro, and fasten the Trackball to the table. It can
> be moved for other users if required. Just distribute the Velcro pieces
> somewhat evenly for balance.
>
> Richard wrote:
>
>>Hi, All!
>>
>>I teach computer introduction courses to seniors - typically people
>>60+ and some in their 80's. Because of hand tremor a few have really
>>major problems with the mouse.
>>
>>One guy in my present group has major problems. Because of quite
>>severe tremor he clicks when he doesn't mean to, can't hold the mouse
>>steady enough to click on any particular icon or button, clicks and
>>drags when he intends to just click, etc. The result is very
>>frustrating for him.
>>
>>Can anyone suggest customisation or other options that would help
>>people with this type of disability. Voice commands have occurred to
>>me but this particular learner also has a very strong German accent.
>>
>>Many thanks for any suggestions!
>>
>>Richard

A few months ago I came across an article about a mouse that is suppose
to help with tremors. I couldn't find the exact article, however I did
remember that IBM had something to do with the technology. It has taken
a few days to get something for you and I'm sure that this can set you
on a decent course. The device is manufactured in the UK, costs $99 USD
plus $8 USD shipping. The gentleman having the problem might do right
by checking the item online at:

http://www.montrosesecam.com/index1.html

Good luck