Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Which case should I go with?

Last response: in Components
Share
December 21, 2012 9:11:32 AM

I am looking for advice on two cases I'm debating on right now. I really like the cooler master Halifax 922. But, the hafx 912 looks like it would be small enough to fit on a desk. It is not a huge deal, but having kids makes me wary of having an open case like this on the floor.

Will the the hafx 912 be big enough for the biggest graphic cards, aftermarket CPU coolers and other space-eating stuff?

Is the airflow much worse than the 922? I am getting a i5 3570k and know it can run hottish when oc'ed.

Furthermore, I am open to suggestions if users highly recommend another case. For me, I would like to have a cool (cold, not hip) case that's big enough for aftermarket upgrades.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

More about : case

a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2012 10:55:33 AM

id just get a 690 II if you want something cheaper. 59.99 after MIR

a fractal r4 for 79.99 is another killer deal
Score
0

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2012 11:22:19 AM

The 912 is very roomy inside, and the center drive cage can be removed for monster cards.
I run 2 GTX460s and a Hyper 212 EVO.
max temps while folding(100% load)
CPU 54c X6@3.4
460s 78c upper card 74c lower card.
Temps could be lower, but I have found a reasonable noise/temp/fan speed that works for me.
Share
Related resources
December 21, 2012 11:47:19 AM

TheBigTroll said:
id just get a 690 II if you want something cheaper. 59.99 after MIR

a fractal r4 for 79.99 is another killer deal


Lol I saw your name and expected a troll remark. Thanks for the options. I plan on sli in the near future and the fractal reviews say go to the XL for that and good airflow. The 922 is $79.99 right now on newegg so I wouldn't be saving much money. I do agree with your sig though, buy what you need. For me the decision is more size with the pricing as is now. I think I have to bite the bullet and make a trip to microcenter today to look at them both.
Score
0
December 21, 2012 11:53:05 AM

Unolocogringo said:
The 912 is very roomy inside, and the center drive cage can be removed for monster cards.
I run 2 GTX460s and a Hyper 212 EVO.
max temps while folding(100% load)
CPU 54c X6@3.4
460s 78c upper card 74c lower card.
Temps could be lower, but I have found a reasonable noise/temp/fan speed that works for me.


Thanks for sharing, I'm glad to hear it is still quite roomy. Me, I'm so new to overclocking that I wonder if it would be easier to just get a 922 and have the extra cooling? Though why should I get some huge case that I barely need such as the 922... I am going to visit a nearish microcenter to check them out in person today.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2012 2:21:10 PM

coolhandlukeboy said:
Lol I saw your name and expected a troll remark. Thanks for the options. I plan on sli in the near future and the fractal reviews say go to the XL for that and good airflow. The 922 is $79.99 right now on newegg so I wouldn't be saving much money. I do agree with your sig though, buy what you need. For me the decision is more size with the pricing as is now. I think I have to bite the bullet and make a trip to microcenter today to look at them both.


i dont see the point of the define XL. has too much room. the R4 has temps of a generic case but half the noise. and it doesnt collect dust like open cases like the haf series.
Score
0
December 21, 2012 9:21:56 PM

TheBigTroll said:
i dont see the point of the define XL. has too much room. the R4 has temps of a generic case but half the noise. and it doesnt collect dust like open cases like the haf series.


I see what you mean. I went up to microcenter today and checked out all on display. R4 did look really nice. I had a hard time selecting but got a hafx 922 at $79.00 If it proves too loud, I will trade it in for the r4. I use headphones while playing, but I use ad700s, which are open eared... Noise might be an issue.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 2:50:49 PM

Best answer selected by coolhandlukeboy.
Score
0
!