Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card
Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer

But I also noticed this pre built computer with similar features for slightly cheaper (overall)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX39392

Intel® Core® i5 3570K Processor
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB Graphics Card
G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory
500GB 7200RPM SATA2
24x DVD+/-RW SATA
Velocity IW-C583T Mid Tower
Power Man 500W Power Supply (3x18A on 12V)AMD

Is there a big difference between the two? I notice the PSU is slightly weaker...is that easy or possible to change if I were to upgrade to a more powerful PSU in the future?

thanks for your help!
August 6, 2012 2:09:46 PM

Go with the intel build. It is leaps and bounds above the other build.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 6, 2012 2:14:01 PM

Overall in the real world,the GTX 570 is a more powerful card (however uses more power). The pre built is not exactly fantastic, running on an outdated AMD processor and a sub-par motherboard. The PSU brand is unheard of and would probably break the system in a few days, and the case isn't exactly beautiful.

Your build however is very well conceptualised and thought out, with quality and new parts.

Overall, your build would outperform the pre-built easily, however I recommend a single change. The GTX 570, whilst powerful, is an older generation card, and you could probably pick up an AMD 7850 for around the same price. They perform fairly equally, however the 7850 will overclock in a much easier fashion, and require less power overall (cut down on those bills lol).

Anyway, I wish you luck, but please don't buy the pre-built haha!
August 6, 2012 2:15:45 PM

jeremy11 said:
My mistake I meant to post this pre build system

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX39392

This has closer specs to my custom one that I was looking at

Ok well that still has a bad PSU and bad video card compared to your build. Just go with it ;) 
m
l
August 6, 2012 2:16:55 PM

Thanks for the fast replies everyone! I know the custom built one seems better to most of you here, I'm just worried because I have no prior experience to computer building. Hopefully I plan on doing a bit more research before diving into it but I'm glad you approve of the parts!
m
l
August 6, 2012 2:18:20 PM

It is surprisingly simple to put the parts together and there are tons of tutorials online that will provide assistance. To me the most difficult part of first time builders is attaching the power/reset button from the case to the mobo.
m
l
August 6, 2012 2:20:07 PM

Great, sounds good! Thanks everyone, I'm going to go with the custom then.
m
l
August 6, 2012 2:23:36 PM

Yeah, I just built my first last weekend. All went smoothly, and like zooted said, the hardest part was ataching the power/reset buttons lol. Sadly I had a faulty BD Drive and SSD so had to take back to Umart (Australian). They refunded, as any good company would.

I'm pleased to hear that you're going with the custom, and wish you all the very best!
m
l
August 14, 2012 6:39:36 PM

Best answer selected by jeremy11.
m
l
!