Closed Solved

Power Supply Connector/Graphic card question

I have a computer I am building and have a question about power and cabling. I have a Corsair 650w Modular Power supply and I am using a GTX560 card. I don't have a lot in the case that needs power at this time. 3 fans + the CPU fan are all connected to the mobo and 1 HDD and 1 CD-rom. The power supply comes with 1 set of wires with sata power on them and another with molex connectors attached to the power supply that cannot be removed. It also comes with 2 modular PCI-E Connectors that can be plugged in if needed.

I am not using the molex connectors for anything and I cannot remove them so I thought it would be less cluttered if I used them for the video card. There are 4 free molex connectors and the video card came with 2 adapters that take 2 molex to 1 PCI-E Connector each. Is this ok or should I just tie the molex conectors up out of the way and connect the 2 modular PCI-E Connectors? My thought is that even if I tie up the molex connectors and use the PCI-E Connectors it is still more cluttered than if I use the Molex to PCI-E adapters.

Any ideas?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power supply connector graphic card question
  1. FYI Here are the components for my build.

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
    Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 650-WattModular Power Supply
    ASUS Motherboard P8Z77-V
    Intel Core i7 3770S processor 3.1GHz
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    ASUS GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
    Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Drive
    Cooler Master 200mm Top fan
  2. Best answer
    I'd stick with using the PCI-E cables since the molex may not provide enough amps to power the graphics card.
  3. avoid using molex to 6 pin connectors unless it is necessary
  4. Best answer selected by hokeybuilder.
  5. Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and used the 2 PCI-E Connectors. It makes sense I was just trying to avoid more cables than needed. Only problem I ran into was getting the video card to work on the PCIE16_1 slot with success. I put it in the PCIE16_2 slot and it works fine. Now that I got it working there I have not put it back into the #1 slot. I will try to fix that when I get a chance but even in the #2 slot it is running like a champ. Thanks.
  6. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies Power PCI Express Graphics