Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Power Supply Connector/Graphic card question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2012 9:19:01 PM

I have a computer I am building and have a question about power and cabling. I have a Corsair 650w Modular Power supply and I am using a GTX560 card. I don't have a lot in the case that needs power at this time. 3 fans + the CPU fan are all connected to the mobo and 1 HDD and 1 CD-rom. The power supply comes with 1 set of wires with sata power on them and another with molex connectors attached to the power supply that cannot be removed. It also comes with 2 modular PCI-E Connectors that can be plugged in if needed.

I am not using the molex connectors for anything and I cannot remove them so I thought it would be less cluttered if I used them for the video card. There are 4 free molex connectors and the video card came with 2 adapters that take 2 molex to 1 PCI-E Connector each. Is this ok or should I just tie the molex conectors up out of the way and connect the 2 modular PCI-E Connectors? My thought is that even if I tie up the molex connectors and use the PCI-E Connectors it is still more cluttered than if I use the Molex to PCI-E adapters.

Any ideas?
June 15, 2012 9:26:01 PM

FYI Here are the components for my build.

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 650-WattModular Power Supply
ASUS Motherboard P8Z77-V
Intel Core i7 3770S processor 3.1GHz
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
ASUS GeForce GTX 560 1GB
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Drive
Cooler Master 200mm Top fan
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2012 1:21:05 AM

I'd stick with using the PCI-E cables since the molex may not provide enough amps to power the graphics card.
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2012 1:34:47 AM

avoid using molex to 6 pin connectors unless it is necessary
Score
June 19, 2012 6:49:45 PM

Best answer selected by hokeybuilder.
Score
June 19, 2012 6:54:17 PM

Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and used the 2 PCI-E Connectors. It makes sense I was just trying to avoid more cables than needed. Only problem I ran into was getting the video card to work on the PCIE16_1 slot with success. I put it in the PCIE16_2 slot and it works fine. Now that I got it working there I have not put it back into the #1 slot. I will try to fix that when I get a chance but even in the #2 slot it is running like a champ. Thanks.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
June 19, 2012 9:12:21 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!