Need GPU suggestions

dhsolid

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hey gurus,

I need to know exactly what I'm looking for so that I don't buy something that will not work for my computer - specifically talking about the motherboard.

I have a Dell Studio XPS. I heard that the most important thing about investing in a GPU is to make sure your motherboard is able to even use it. So i want to know what I need to watch out for.
That being said, my current GPU is the ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series. In the future I also want to invest in a 30" or bigger monitor (less than 40" so between 30-39") as well. The Dell U3011 has caught my eye but I wasn't sure if my current GPU is good enough to handle it.

So here are the list of questions:

1.) What key things I need to look for when investing in a GPU so that it will work for your computer?
2.) Will my current Radeon 5800 HD series handle a 30" monitor? (u3011 or perhaps something better?). If not, what GPU can?
3.) Will my motherboard be able to do dual graphics?
4.) Recommend some graphics cards that are better than my current one. Budget wise and no budget wise if you can please.

-Specs-
Model: Dell Studio XPS
Motherboard: DELL Inc. 0X501H A03
RAM: 12.0GB
System type: 64-bit
GPU: Radeon 5800 HD series
CPU: intel i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67Ghz

game junky

Distinguished
For your GPU, it's all about max resolution of the monitor vs the activities you would like to be able to perform at that resolution. For instance, most 30" monitors are intended to be used for graphic design so as to view photos at their native resolution or a close approximation. The Dell U3011 for instance outputs at a max res of 2560 X 1600 - to achieve quality graphics at their high resolution, you're going to need a GPU with some serious muscle. I would lean toward an Nvidia 670/680 because they're energy efficient and incredibly powerful. Unfortunately, I think you're going to need to upgrade the power supply in order to run all those components - 600W-750W would be more than enough to take care of that. If you want to stick with AMD, I would recommend one of the mid-range 7000 series cards anywhere up to a 7850.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
What is the exact graphics card model you have? The 5800 series has many cards.

The size of your monitor doesn't really matter, but rather the resolution you set it at. For a 30 inch monitor, you'll probably want 2560x1600, which is the max that the 5800 series can run, but you won't be able to play games at high settings at this resolution.

For a new graphics card, I would recommend a gtx 670. That will be adequate to run high resolution without much trouble.

dhsolid

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I'm pretty sure it is the Radeon 5870. I can't seem to find the power supply info from within the actual power supply unit. I see a label behind my tower near the I/O panel.

It says->
V: 100-240V-
A: 10A
Hz: 50-60Hz

Does this info help?

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
The 5870 is a great card, you'll be okay with it even at 2560x1600 resolution. You can run most games at reasonable settings, and maybe a touch lower with the most gpu intensive games. If that sounds acceptable to you, then you can stick with what you got right now. Otherwise a good option would be to get a second 5870 and crossfire them.

You'll be able to find your psu info by opening up your case and it should be written on the side of the psu.

dhsolid

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
nv5lwi.jpg

The pics.

Unless I have to unscrew the metal box?

game junky

Distinguished
I believe you would have to remove the PSU from the case to view the total wattage on the side panel you can't see while it's installed. I also would recommend you check your Dell Service Tag's original configuration. It might say the power supply's wattage -

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/ProductSelector

Take a look - guessing it's under 500 which is cutting it close depending on what components you're adding