Sign in with
Your question

Overheating

Last response: in Components
December 21, 2012 11:18:15 AM

Simply put, I have a overheating issue with my PC. My PC is a prebuilt Gateway FX7020 that I put 8GB of RAM, a X-Fi Titanium Sound Card and most recently, a GTX 650 Ti SSC 2GB. There is a possibility that I am maxing out the PSU causing a shutdown but I doubt that is the problem because I have noticed the CPU & GPU max out on far cry 3 for a good few seconds making it draw the max power it would ever really need from the PSU and it was fine. Today though, I was playing and it had shut down on me. Opened the case, and it was like santas workshop had been moved to the 7th ring of hell. How can I check to be sure it is a overheating issue and how could I lower the internal temperature? The motherboard is a MCP61PM-GM so if someone could check if it can support more than two fans, I would appreciate it.

Any help is appreciated.

More about : overheating

December 21, 2012 12:32:28 PM

You're lucky it works at all. Running a high end card on such an old board is hit or miss. What brand and model number of power supply do you have? You may also try leaving the side panel off and see if that helps lower temps.
December 21, 2012 3:55:23 PM

o1die said:
You're lucky it works at all. Running a high end card on such an old board is hit or miss. What brand and model number of power supply do you have? You may also try leaving the side panel off and see if that helps lower temps.

Model is DPS-400RB A

The combined 12V rails can't exceed 30 Amps.
5V + 3.3V takes 140W out of the 400. Not sure what other useful info I can find.
Related resources
December 21, 2012 4:05:24 PM

o1die said:

Can't believe I just found this.
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_g...
I'm 20 watts over. 400 - 280 = 120 when the rest needs 140. I did check the power requirements before I bought it.
December 21, 2012 4:19:14 PM

1. Verify that all fans are working.

2. To see if you have a case cooling issue, take the side covers off, and direct a fan at the innards. If the problem is resolves, a $50 case like the Antec 100/200/300 will fix the problem.

3. I see that a replacement psu costs only $30. I cant help but think that the psu is of poor quality, and may no longer be able to deliver it's advertised power. If need be, replace the psu with a quality unit. It could be as inexpensive as a Corsair CX430 @$35 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But, I might go stronger with something like a tier 2 unit from this list on the 600w range:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
December 21, 2012 4:37:59 PM

ignore the headers on board for fans

you can buy fans off the shelf that plug directly into the psu

ive got 2 on the front,1 on top and 1 on the back of my case
!