Sign in with
Your question

Looking to upgrade a Old Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2012 3:26:15 PM

I have a kinda throwen together rid thats a mix about about 3 to 4 years old now... I want to get back into gaming on the PC and will be playing Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Ghost Recon, maybe other random games but not BF3 or skyrim just not of fan of those games but mainly will be playing Guild Wars 2 (MMO)

My current rig is as follows -

Current Components:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 B55 (3.2GHz)
CPU Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 4670
RAM: 4GB GSkill 1333 DDR3
PSU: 500Watt OCZmodX
Case: Lancool Model: PC-K7
HDD: Western Digital 1.5TB Green
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
Monitor: Westinghouse 22" 1680 x 1050

I want to know if its worth the extra $500 or $600 to get like a new Mobo, CPU, and Video card OR get just like a New Video card

Here is the things that I can see by upgrading the Mobo I would get SataIII for the SSD instead of SataII like I have now and PCIE 3.0

My new build I am looking at getting is as follows -

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is it worth upgrading mobo and CPU? Will I get a large leap n performance or just a little over all is it worth it because even my SSD will be faster? I am leaving for college in 3 weeks and I want a rid that will last the next 3 years so I don't have to put any money "unless break downs" till after I grad and get my career job.

Also I maybe doing some CAD and revit on it at some point but very little.

More about : upgrade gaming rig

August 6, 2012 3:52:21 PM

You'll see the biggest boost in performance in replacing that card. In modern games, at decent resolutions, I don't see the PII X4 being a bottleneck. 3.2Ghz on that is still sufficient to deliver solid FPS in any title. Basically, it's plenty to keep up with the 7850 you're considering.

Going to SATA III will make a difference as far as the SSD is concerned. It will enable its full speed, however, its important to remember that the biggest advantages afforded by an SSD are its latency and IOPS. Both of those will be unaffected by the switch to SATA III.

To get PCIe 3.0, you'd have to use an Ivy Bridge processor, rather than the Sandy Bridge one you've selected.
August 6, 2012 3:58:13 PM

For the games you are playing the phenom is plenty, its not worth sinking $$ into a cpu and mobo upgrade that won't give you as noticeable an improvement as the graphics card will. Go with the new card and you'll be better off.
Related resources
August 6, 2012 4:19:41 PM

yeah just get the video card and the ssd for now. most people dont see the difference between sata ii and sata iii if they are not doing anything that requires high read speeds since IOPS isnt affected

another thing that you can do is get another 4gb kit of the same ram
August 6, 2012 4:29:32 PM

HD7950s are in the $320-$330 range and will OC to HD7970+ levels.

They may further drop in price depending upon the street price of the 660ti when released in a few weeks.

Your 'B55 Deneb' quad should be just dandy -- though a PhII 965BE is down to $110 and really, really clocks quite nicely with little effort and volts.

August 6, 2012 4:33:48 PM

Yes but would my PSU handle a 7950
August 6, 2012 4:36:03 PM

should be able to. if its not too old and you dont overclock the 7950 too much
!