ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II Top Clicking/Creaking noise when cooling

MadJoker

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hi,

I have a problem with my recently bought ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II Top. I bought it about 2 weeks ago, and it worked flawlessly for about a week. Since a few days now I get a _very_ audible creaking/clicking noise from the GPU. At first I thought it was a fan hitting a cable, but during one check it made the noise even when the PC was powered down. Now I have realized that the noise occurs whenever the temperature of the GPU changes. I get a click for about every 1-2 degrees celsius. When it reaches a somewhat fix temperature the noise stops. This is especially apparent when starting or ending games. I understand that it is probably due to thermal expansion and contraction.

This noise is somewhat driving me nuts, so I have two questions:
1. Is it normal for this noise to occur? Does anybody with the same GPU have similar experiences? Is it going to go away after some time?
2. Even if it is normal, should I RMA the GPU or will I most likely end up with the same problem in a new GPU?

If possible I would prefer to not RMA it, but the noise is really annoying. Hopefully you can help me a bit with this.

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
If the screws on the fans are accessible tighten them a bit. Happened to my R6950 TFII, tightened the screws on the fans a little and that got rid of the noise.