Sign in with
Your question

Is my CPU damaged..?

Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2012 11:39:38 AM

Hello guys,

Yesterday i putted my new pc together and it didn´t boot.. So i putted the cpu out of his socket and i concluded that 2 pins of the motherboard socket where bent and maybe touching each other.. So tomorrow i'm getting my new mobo and i hope my cpu isn´t damged by this... Can anyone help me out with this..?

Thanks already for your great help!

-redbadboy

More about : cpu damaged

December 21, 2012 12:37:08 PM

Not much we can do, to be honest with you. All you can do is install the cpu and keep your fingers crossed. I read about lots of people that bend their pins that have no issue after straightening them. Why are you replacing the mobo??
December 21, 2012 12:40:53 PM

djosbun said:
Not much we can do, to be honest with you. All you can do is install the cpu and keep your fingers crossed. I read about lots of people that bend their pins that have no issue after straightening them. Why are you replacing the mobo??

I went to the store i bought the mobo, and thay wanted to replace it.. So i'm not going to say no too that ;-).. But now i'm pretty scared if my new cpu is going to be damaged.. Because i turned my pc on with that bend pins on the socket and i readed on some posts that it can damage ur cpu, so i wanted to know that ;-)
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2012 1:05:40 PM

I have straightened pins out many times and there is no problem at all. As long as the pins aren't broken you will be fine. Check out the pins very carefully, use a magnifying glass if you have one, and carefully push the pins into place. Then look at all the pins from directly above to see if they are all aligned.
If all has gone well the cpu should slip into place without any pressure at all.
December 21, 2012 1:38:15 PM

ngrego said:
I have straightened pins out many times and there is no problem at all. As long as the pins aren't broken you will be fine. Check out the pins very carefully, use a magnifying glass if you have one, and carefully push the pins into place. Then look at all the pins from directly above to see if they are all aligned.
If all has gone well the cpu should slip into place without any pressure at all.

Look guys.. there no problem with the motherboard and the pins. I just took it back to the store only i'm scared that my cpu isn't damaged by that i putted the pc on when the pins where bent....
December 21, 2012 1:44:04 PM

redbadboy said:
Look guys.. there no problem with the motherboard and the pins. I just took it back to the store only i'm scared that my cpu isn't damaged by that i putted the pc on when the pins where bent....

I don't think they realise you've already given the dud board back :D 

You can't know if it's damaged until you try it in the new board. So just try! Let us know how it goes :)  do be careful with the pins, as you can see they are very delicate.
December 21, 2012 1:47:05 PM

CrArC said:
I don't think they realise you've already given the dud board back :D 

You can't know if it's damaged until you try it in the new board. So just try! Let us know how it goes :)  do be careful with the pins, as you can see they are very delicate.

Yea, i will ;-) i realy hope my cpu isn't damaged it is a brand new i5 3570k ;p
a c 188 à CPUs
December 21, 2012 1:53:20 PM

While it is possible to damage the processor from a short I haven't heard of it happening because of bend pins on the board. If you inspect the contacts on the bottom of the processor if it is damaged you may see some markings from where the short was. Otherwise I would say it is fine.
!