What is up with my Skyrim textures?!

Schepeppa

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hello,

Yesterday I updated my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series to the newest update because apparently it was to fix the no smoke glitch. Well I went on to Skyrim to see most of the textures had missing parts, messed up sky color, all textures were messed up! I downgraded, but that didn't help. How do I fix it?!

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium, 4gb ram & a AMD Athlon II p360 Dual-Core Processor. Also I have a Dell laptop.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
By updated your 4200 do you mean updated to latest drivers?? Also part of that problem might be that that is an integrated gpu, really not good enough for Skyrim, what kind of settings do you play on? And have you tried verifying local cache with Steam (assuming you have it on Steam)?

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

.... Low settings with high graphics.... ?? Wutlol?

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Anyway I'm not sure what you meant by that but I think your first problem is just the fact that you are trying to play on an integrated 4200, but if it worked before the drivers update then just downgrade to the older ones (make sure you uninstall old ones first). And if that doesn't work.. Idk.

Schepeppa

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
NO!!!! Just found out the same thing happens in Battlefield 2! Missing textures, stretched out buildings ect! So now the only games that work are GTA 4, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies and maybe Flatout.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Well they just released 12.6 and 12.7 beta. 12.7 claims 25% performance increase in Skyrim and 6% in BF3, might wanna try that if not I really don't know which driver to tell you to try. 11.10 maybe?

Hmm, at least I don't got to worry and download as much as I like. Average 100-300GB a month :sol: But speed isn't so great. :pfff:

Go into safe mode and uninstall the drivers then run driver sweeper. Once that is done reboot into normal mode and installed the drivers that you want. It should fix some of the software related bugs at least.

Kari

Splendid
Have you checked DELL website for proper drivers for the laptop? Most laptop makers mess about the biosses and stuff so that the cards need proprietary drivers to run optimally...
The drivers provided by amd are meant for 'real' desktop graphics cards.