Whats the most likely problem ? CPU or mobo

Hey,
so my CPU (fx-8120) wont OC past 4.0ghz stable and ive tried for so long and so many methods to even bother anymore.

So, is it possible, that i cant go past 4.0 because my mobo doesent have LLC or just cant deliver enough power? Is it because i just have a bad (unlucky) chip or is it because my PSU (corsair gs600) is only 600w ?

Im planning on buying a 500R case instead of my bitfenix merc beta (more airflow, better cooling), 7970 instead of my 560 and a 8350 over my 8120.

Any ideas on whats the most likely problem ? Mobo or CPU
3 answers Last reply
More about whats problem mobo
  1. I'm not familiar with that cpu, but my first logical thought would be the motherboard's bios is the limiting factor. Have you checked for a bios update?
  2. Well what board do you have?

Overclocking is determined by a lot of things, board, cooling, voltage and even the CPU itself as you mentioned. 4GHz might be the peak for that chip.
  3. I got a 990fxa-ud3, ive tried overclocking with almost every bios update (f4, f6, f8 and currently f9)
    since a mobo is rev 1.0 the mobo doesent have LLC.
    I can get 4.0ghz at 1.35V and thats it. Ive read so many guides and tried so much stuff that I just want to upgrade. Getting a case for sure for better airflow and OC.

Now im still wondering if its the mobo or cpu thats holding my cpu back. Cause if i get fx-8350 and that can only go up to 4.0 aswell then it would be rather bad.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs