Cheapest possible gaming PC?

I am extremely desperate for a gaming PC, not just for gaming, but for doing productive things like hobbiest animation, video, audio and photo editing. I also really want to assemble it myself. I am 16 years old and I live in ON Canada. The problem is, I hardly have any money. I don't know how much money I can manage to save up, but surely it will be much less than $500. The operating system is already another hundred. I am literally looking at something like $250 without the OS. And as you might have guessed, I can't order online, but I can buy from the many local stores around me, probably from this store:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/

I don't have the slightest bit of support from my parents, so I can't manage extra money.

I want to know what is the cheapest possible gaming configuration. And also, whether buying something used like this would be viable:

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-quad-core-gaming-PC-250-Sherbourne-station-W0QQAdIdZ393807855

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-Q6600-Core-2-Quad-3-6-ghz-HD-5770-4GB-ram-Haf-912-case-W0QQAdIdZ401114684?
Yes, I know they are ancient, but are they viable/

Is it worth trying?
10 answers Last reply
More about cheapest gaming
  1. both of those are rather old (2008 was when they were new)

this laptop will b a better lightweight gamer for $500

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_369&item_id=040741
  2. The cheapest from CC I could do would be a A6-3500 Triple core with integrated graphics. Not the best but it does play a few games, I built one for my roommate. Asrock Motherboard, coolmaster case, 4GB Kingston Ram, 500GB WD Blue Harddrive, $306 with tax. You can add a better video card later.
  3. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G540 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($21.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital RE2 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.78 @ Compuvest)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6770 1GB Video Card ($79.98 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.96 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($32.30 @ Microcenter)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $324.98
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-06 15:13 EDT-0400)

This is the cheapest TRUE gaming configuration i can build for you.It will play every game at... well good enough settings.
    It's much better at gaming than AMD's APU's and intel's "HD" graphics.
  4. he's stuck paying cash only at Canada Computer's Brick & Mortar near him.

an APU build (3870K) + 6670 in Dual Channel will be a decent enough gamer at 1600x900 or less
  5. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, keep the configuration ideas coming. Now I'll just wait a while and see how much money I can actually save up.
  6. Figure out how much money you get first, lots of prices can change from now and say 3 months if it takes you long or not.

Kamen, read the post first, he's in Canada, like I am, so most newegg/amazon prices don't apply and don't ship here. CC is a decent store though and usually has some of the cheapest prices around for us anyways.
  7. Trinity would definitely be a good option. They're already out in laptops, as Squirrel showed, but we'll have to wait a bit longer for them to hit the desktop market.
  8. Keep this thread active because in about 2 weeks, I will know how much money I will have so keep it alive. If I don't have a viable amount money, then I will save up trinity comes out. It seems promising.
  9. mn: just start a new thread with your funding amount.

do you specifically want a desktop, or will somthing like that laptop with video card work as well?
  10. ScrewySqrl said:
    mn: just start a new thread with your funding amount.

do you specifically want a desktop, or will somthing like that laptop with video card work as well?

No, it has to be a desktop. I guess I can start a new thread with my funding amount later.
    Regardless, I got some good ideas from this one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Photo Systems Product