Sign in with
Your question

Custom noob - future proof?

Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2012 6:00:17 PM

https://www.stealthmachines.com/customize.php?computeri... okay, so I'm doing my first custom and here's what I've come up with. I'm computer literate, so I think this is gonna handle what throw at it (video/music editing, gaming like skyrim and all last gen emulators, constant torrenting :-D, simultaneous running apps like Web browsing downloading music while burning a blu ray and playing a game etc.) I had 32 gigs of memory at first but I think I can make it with 16. also I was thinking of going with the cheaper i7 3820 quad core but my thinking is that the extra 2 cores will somewhat future proof my machine. it comes with a 10 year warranty to boot, so, yeah. should I overclock? my ssd hd space? what y'all think? am I good for a while?
August 6, 2012 6:06:37 PM

ok it looks pretty good but, i would get a 670 they are 100$ less and all you get from the 680 to the 670 is a 3% increase. Your ssd is more then enough but i suggest crucial m4 or vertex 4. That powersupply is way overkill try this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . also you can down your RAM to 1600 2133 isn't gonna give u much or any more performance. I think this should last you a good while. Im not sure about the extra 2 cores furure proofing. IMO no need to overclock but if you do id get a cpu cooler like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or just a hyper 212.
m
l
August 6, 2012 6:13:01 PM

Quote:
I'm computer literate, so I think this is gonna handle what throw at it (video/music editing, gaming like skyrim and all last gen emulators, constant torrenting :-D, simultaneous running apps like Web browsing downloading music while burning a blu ray and playing a game etc.

The system requirements on Skyrim are very low actually. You won't come close to using the full power of this machine.

Quote:
simultaneous running apps like Web browsing downloading music while burning a blu ray and playing a game etc.) I had 32 gigs of memory at first but I think I can make it with 16

Unless you're doing some hardcore video editing or heavy duty 3-D rendering applications, you'll *NEVER* use 32GB of RAM. You probably won't even come close to using 16GB.

Quote:
so I was thinking of going with the cheaper i7 3820 quad core but my thinking is that the extra 2 cores will somewhat future proof my machine.

It's going to be several years before games catch up to hex and 8 core CPUs. You're fine without them.

Quote:
it comes with a 10 year warranty to boot, so, yeah. should I overclock? my ssd hd space? what y'all think? am I good for a while?

You most likely won't have that system in ten years - no need to pay $3K for it. You could actually downgrade a lot and still come out ahead.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($407.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1819.87
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-06 14:14 EDT-0400)
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2012 7:17:33 PM

man y'all are the ***! lol okay so maybe something more like this
https://www.stealthmachines.com/customize.php?computeri...
I don't really trust myself to actually build this thing, but if I can save a grand by doing so.......we'll see.g-unit, I'm diggin that setup, and I went back to stealth to see if I could match it as closely with what's on their site.they'll pretty much order whatever (or at least they say they will) so that price may drop even more. but I at least now know I ain't gotta drop 3 stacks or more for "beast" of a machine as it were. thanks again. any final comments? all are welcomed....
m
l
August 6, 2012 7:34:58 PM

get a 670 and you save 100$ also get a 750 watt power supply that is cosair/ seasonic / antec/pc and power cooling
m
l
August 6, 2012 10:14:26 PM

samurai_jones said:
sorry! last post - I promise - https://www.stealthmachines.com/customize.php?computeri... that's prolly gonna be what I'd but if I chose stealth

I am personally not a fan of the Level 10 - I think it's extremely overrated for the quality of materials it uses. The NZXT Switch 810 or Corsair 600T would be better choices out of those cases.

Quote:
I at least now know I ain't gotta drop 3 stacks or more for "beast" of a machine as it were. thanks again. any final comments? all are welcomed....

Yeah a beast of a machine won't cost you nearly as much as it used to. If this were a photo / video editing rig I'd definitely say differently. :lol: 
m
l
!