samurai_jones

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
https://www.stealthmachines.com/customize.php?computerid=5&n=44188 okay, so I'm doing my first custom and here's what I've come up with. I'm computer literate, so I think this is gonna handle what throw at it (video/music editing, gaming like skyrim and all last gen emulators, constant torrenting :-D, simultaneous running apps like Web browsing downloading music while burning a blu ray and playing a game etc.) I had 32 gigs of memory at first but I think I can make it with 16. also I was thinking of going with the cheaper i7 3820 quad core but my thinking is that the extra 2 cores will somewhat future proof my machine. it comes with a 10 year warranty to boot, so, yeah. should I overclock? my ssd hd space? what y'all think? am I good for a while?

Spicy_benie

Honorable
May 19, 2012
ok it looks pretty good but, i would get a 670 they are 100$ less and all you get from the 680 to the 670 is a 3% increase. Your ssd is more then enough but i suggest crucial m4 or vertex 4. That powersupply is way overkill try this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021&Tpk=cosair%20750 . also you can down your RAM to 1600 2133 isn't gonna give u much or any more performance. I think this should last you a good while. Im not sure about the extra 2 cores furure proofing. IMO no need to overclock but if you do id get a cpu cooler like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

or just a hyper 212.

g-unit1111

Titan
I'm computer literate, so I think this is gonna handle what throw at it (video/music editing, gaming like skyrim and all last gen emulators, constant torrenting :-D, simultaneous running apps like Web browsing downloading music while burning a blu ray and playing a game etc.

The system requirements on Skyrim are very low actually. You won't come close to using the full power of this machine.

simultaneous running apps like Web browsing downloading music while burning a blu ray and playing a game etc.) I had 32 gigs of memory at first but I think I can make it with 16

Unless you're doing some hardcore video editing or heavy duty 3-D rendering applications, you'll *NEVER* use 32GB of RAM. You probably won't even come close to using 16GB.

so I was thinking of going with the cheaper i7 3820 quad core but my thinking is that the extra 2 cores will somewhat future proof my machine.

It's going to be several years before games catch up to hex and 8 core CPUs. You're fine without them.

it comes with a 10 year warranty to boot, so, yeah. should I overclock? my ssd hd space? what y'all think? am I good for a while?

You most likely won't have that system in ten years - no need to pay $3K for it. You could actually downgrade a lot and still come out ahead.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($407.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1819.87
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-06 14:14 EDT-0400)

samurai_jones

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
man y'all are the ***! lol okay so maybe something more like this
https://www.stealthmachines.com/customize.php?computerid=5#sec-8
I don't really trust myself to actually build this thing, but if I can save a grand by doing so.......we'll see.g-unit, I'm diggin that setup, and I went back to stealth to see if I could match it as closely with what's on their site.they'll pretty much order whatever (or at least they say they will) so that price may drop even more. but I at least now know I ain't gotta drop 3 stacks or more for "beast" of a machine as it were. thanks again. any final comments? all are welcomed....

g-unit1111

Titan

I am personally not a fan of the Level 10 - I think it's extremely overrated for the quality of materials it uses. The NZXT Switch 810 or Corsair 600T would be better choices out of those cases.

I at least now know I ain't gotta drop 3 stacks or more for "beast" of a machine as it were. thanks again. any final comments? all are welcomed....

Yeah a beast of a machine won't cost you nearly as much as it used to. If this were a photo / video editing rig I'd definitely say differently. :lol: