Solved

Question About my pci express slot

I recently installed my new GTX 670 and im looking at the specs and it shows my PCi express 3.0 slot is running at 2.0 and only @ x8 1.1 is this normal?

13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question express slot
  1. Not sure if it'll help but try the little question mark: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167246
  2. i did a stress test and it doesnt go up to 3.0 tho does it ever?
  3. Best answer
    Hi there

It is normal for cards to step down the link speed in order to conserve power

A 16x 3.0 link or 2.1 link will run at 8x 1.1 speed when idle

If you do not have a Sandybridge-E or Ivybridge processor and chipset compatible with 3rd generation speeds your GPU will only run at second generation speeds even if it is third generation compatible
  4. O ok that sucks i was hoping to use 3.0 i have an i5 2500k cpu
  5. now i went to check my gpu-z data, i'm surprised it labels me at PCI-E 3.0 even though i'm currently using a sandy bridge processor. though i have no idea why your is labeled at 8x, did you put it in the right slot/are you in sli?
  6. i put the in the middle slot i have 3 slots , Top is 3.0 middle is 3.0 and bottom is 2.1 on a sabertooth z77 mobo
  7. i moved it to the top slot and now its 2.0 x16 kinda sad its not 3.0 tho
  8. Best answer selected by tupacalypse.
  9. dudewitbow said:
    now i went to check my gpu-z data, i'm surprised it labels me at PCI-E 3.0 even though i'm currently using a sandy bridge processor. though i have no idea why your is labeled at 8x, did you put it in the right slot/are you in sli?

You're not the first person to see third gen speeds reported on a first generation Sandybridge. It's just an error
  10. Its not an error. SB only has a PCI 2.0 controller in it. You need the newer ivy bridge CPU to get 3.0. Simple as that.
  11. 4745454b said:
    Its not an error. SB only has a PCI 2.0 controller in it. You need the newer ivy bridge CPU to get 3.0. Simple as that.

my computer reports me having a pci-e 3.0 while im using a i3-2120 which has a pci-e 2.0 controller
  12. Your computer lies. Try a different or newer program.
  13. 4745454b said:
    Your computer lies. Try a different or newer program.

Which is exactly what I said 3 posts up
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx PCI Express Graphics