A new gaming system for $1200 or less.

cstroomer

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Here're the specs for a computer that I've hummed and hawed about for a bit and am tossing it up here hoping for a real critique. Thanks in advance.

Approximate Purchase Date: Between Aug 7, 2012 and Aug 31, 2012

Budget Range: $1200 (or less) after rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (1) Gaming (2) Movie watching (3) Web

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade:
Processor: Intel Core i5 3450
Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
RAM: G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH Ripjaws
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870
Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
Power Supply: XFX 750W PRO750W XXX Edition
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Network Adapter: D-LINK DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.ncix.com

Parts Preferences:

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:
- already own another 6870 card, so I'm hoping to pair it with the one listed above in CrossFire.
- no optical drive listedbecause current system has a Blu-Ray Disc rewriter.
- while noise level isn't the most overriding concern, my computer sits in my family's living room, so it would be nice it it didn't sound like a jet engine while in use :)

Why I am Upgrading: My current configuration is a couple of years old and I'm starting to see some issues which look suspiciously like memory controler failures in the CPU/motherboard. Further to that, I'm looking to increase the amount of RAM from my current 4GB to 8GB and increase my storage from the 500GB HDD that I currently own.

Solution
if you want to, you can take a ferry over to the ncix store in vancouver. not too sure if they have one at victoria

whatever needs price matching, price match it. you might have to talk to ncix about the h77-v board though since it has the same MIR which should be price matchable but just ask to be sure

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/dZ5a