What should i purchase?

G

Hello, i'm Rob and i'm looking to upgrade my PC this christmas. I will have roughly £700-£800 to spend and i currently am running an AMD fX-4100 with a GTX 550ti on an asus m5a78l-m moterboard. I can grab a GTX 690 for just under £600 and was wondering if it was worth it with the poor CPU, what do you recommend i get?

Hello, i'm Rob and i'm looking to upgrade my PC this christmas. I will have roughly £700-£800 to spend and i currently am running an AMD fX-4100 with a GTX 550ti on an asus m5a78l-m moterboard. I can grab a GTX 690 for just under £600 and was wondering if it was worth it with the poor CPU, what do you recommend i get?

There really is no point in getting a GTX 690. It has two video processors on one PCB. This can lead to stuttering and other problems not to mention it is overkill for most games. If you want to upgrade get a single GTX 670 or 680.

G

Are you sure? Because i have seen lot of benchmark videos and it struggles to run games like bf3 maxed at constantly 60fps... And if i play under that i get simulation sickness.

The Bulldozer will bottleneck something like a 680 or 690. You can try overclocking it but it probably won't do much. I was just saying in general that no matter what the CPU the 690 is IMO a waste of money.

burbee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I agree with rds1220. The 690 is overkill for the time being. Really only hardcore gamers who like to have those fancy stuff buy it. You should be fine with either a 660Ti, a 670 or 680! You can actually go down to the GTX660 Non-Ti, which runs every game smoothly, unless you want to start using multiple screens :p And yes I am using the GTX660 now on a single screen ^^