Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New GTX 670 DOA or Something else?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2012 12:36:05 AM

I just got my new Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 OC Edition today, and when i put it into my system and turned the PC on my monitor says it receives no signal. Seeing how it was working with my old 6870 moments before, i made sure everything was connected properly. I had already connected it using the 8 pin to molex adapter, and when i turned it on again i noticed that the GPU's fans were running but i wasn't getting any signal; tried two different HDMI cables too.

I've heard about people getting GPUs DOA sometimes and it has never happened to me before so I don't know if this is the case or whether something else is wrong with it? At first i figured it couldn't be DOA because it is obviously receiving power but seeing as how i can't get any signal i don't know what else the problem could be. On the other hand this is only my second GPU so i could have done something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

More about : gtx 670 doa

a c 156 Î Nvidia
June 16, 2012 12:46:56 AM

Did you uninstall the 6870 in device manager before installing the 670?
Score
June 16, 2012 1:14:00 AM

duh, i didn't even think of that. going to go try that now
Score
Related resources
June 16, 2012 1:19:04 AM

get the right drivers too from nvidia and not from the disk
Score
June 16, 2012 1:21:36 AM

TheBigTroll said:
get the right drivers too from nvidia and not from the disk

yes definitely i was going to do that first thing but i can't believe i forgot to uninstall the last card, probably too excited
Score
June 16, 2012 1:26:58 AM

that usually happens to kids on chirstmas (including me)
Score
June 16, 2012 1:51:40 AM

If the computers passes POST and you get no signal when yo go into Windows. You can start following the other suggestions here. You can also use Driver Sweeper to clean up all of the previous driver's files and ensure a cleaner driver installation.
Score
June 16, 2012 1:57:25 AM

still doesn't work. does that mean DOA? the fans are definitely running
Score
a c 156 Î Nvidia
June 16, 2012 1:58:50 AM

You have two power leads connected?
Score
June 16, 2012 1:59:05 AM

youssef 2010 said:
If the computers passes POST and you get no signal when yo go into Windows. You can start following the other suggestions here. You can also use Driver Sweeper to clean up all of the previous driver's files and ensure a cleaner driver installation.

after uninstalling the old card and asking device manager to also delete the drivers for it, the new card still doesn't work. when i turn the PC on the monitor doesn't even wake up.
Score
a c 156 Î Nvidia
June 16, 2012 2:01:31 AM

If everything connected correctly it is likely that you got a bad card.
Score
June 16, 2012 2:06:41 AM

rolli59 said:
You have two power leads connected?

yes, the 6-pin PCIe and the molex-to-8pin adapter plugged into the card.
Score
June 16, 2012 2:07:26 AM

rolli59 said:
If everything connected correctly it is likely that you got a bad card.

i'm thinking that's the case, going to try the molex to 6-pin just in case, although i don't know why that would be required
Score
a c 77 Î Nvidia
June 16, 2012 2:12:16 AM

1. Put in old card
2. Uninstall drivers
3. use registry cleaner to remove all video related AMD things in registry.
4. reboot ... don't let windows install anything
5. Remive old card / instal new card
6. Boot and again, dont let windows install anything
7. Download latest nvidia drivers from website
8 Install drivers.

Quote:
I had already connected it using the 8 pin to molex adapter

The 670 requires two 6 pin or ....... one 6 pin and one 8 pin PCI-E cables.

Have enough PSU ? Meet these requirements ?

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

Have OSD set to DVI (assuming using DVI cable) ?

Score
a c 156 Î Nvidia
June 16, 2012 2:12:25 AM

Doesn't your corsair have 6+2 x 2 connectors? Both of my first generation TX650's do!
Score
June 16, 2012 2:38:01 AM

rolli: mine has one 6+2 but i honestly didnt even think about it until you mentioned it.

jacknaylor: it does require one 6 pin and one 8 pin, and the card came with a molex to 8pin adapter which i originally used.

I'm going to completely delete all drivers following jacknaylor's instructions then re-put in the 670 with the 6+2 pin instead of the adapter, then download the drivers from nvidia's site. i'll let you guys know how it goes. this would be easier if my motherboard came with an HDMI port.
Score
June 16, 2012 2:47:01 AM

driver sweeper is showing an nvidia display driver, should i delete that as well?
Score

Best solution

June 16, 2012 2:49:37 AM

Does your board beep when you power the system with the new card? If not the try doing the following:
Drop the old card in, go into the computer BIOS, under the Advanced BIOS Features and make sure that the "Init Display First" option is set to PEG.

@JackNaylorPE , all the guys who replied. Have you ever encountered a working card that doesn't give a signal during POST. I know I haven't.
June 16, 2012 2:53:45 AM

youssef 2010 said:
Does your board beep when you power the system with the new card? If not the try doing the following:
Drop the old card in, go into the computer BIOS, under the Advanced BIOS Features and make sure that the "Init Display First" option is set to PEG.

@JackNaylorPE , all the guys who replied. Have you ever encountered a working card that doesn't give a signal during POST. I know I haven't.

it doesn't beep so when i reboot after running driver sweeper and registry cleaner i will make sure that is turned on.
Score
a c 156 Î Nvidia
June 16, 2012 2:54:16 AM

paradoxeternal said:
driver sweeper is showing an nvidia display driver, should i delete that as well?

I would take out anything with display driver definition and then try to boot with the new card. It should display using win default VGA drivers. If not then RMA the card.
Score
June 16, 2012 3:28:40 AM

IT BOOTED! Thanks to all of you, all your answers helped so i'm just going to pick a random one as best answer but seriously thanks a ton. I don't know whether it was sweeping the drivers and registry or using the 6+2 pin or the setting in the bios or maybe all three but it booted now!

I'm going to shut down, screw it in properly, shut the case and boot it back up so i can update the drivers and play my games at the highest settings :) 

Once again, thanks a ton!
Score
June 16, 2012 3:39:14 AM

Best answer selected by ParadoxEternal.
Score
August 11, 2012 3:47:46 AM

i have the same problem. I tried the 6+2 pin connector solution and that didn't help,but hopefully that will narrow down the solutions to two possibilities. :D 
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 11, 2012 12:33:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!