Sign in with
Your question

Computer Booting to BIOS

Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2012 6:39:25 PM

So I built a new PC not too long ago about 2 weeks ago and I've had this problem pretty much since the beginning (after I installed motherboard drivers). The PC works fine its just boots to BIOS automatically instead of windows and I would have to select "exit without saving" in order to get to windows. I've tried removing the CMOS battery to see if it would solve anything but it hasn't and I also checked my boot order the HDD is primary while the CD drive is secondary. I was about to flash the BIOS but I wanted your opinions before I do that considering how risky that is. Is there any way I can resolve this issue?

My Specs
CPU : intel i5 3570k
PSU: Antec Neo Geo 620W
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333 Patriot Gamer 2 Series
GPU: nvidia geforce EVGA 560SE
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
HDD: 1TB Seagate barracuda

More about : computer booting bios

August 6, 2012 6:46:36 PM

You don't have a stuck key on your keyboard by chance do you?
Does it do it if you unplug the keyboard?
m
l
August 6, 2012 6:48:36 PM

my keyboard is brand new and i havent tried booting it without the keyboard
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2012 6:51:20 PM

What bios version do you have? They've released 4 versions since the initial release.
I have never had a problem updating bios(s) in all of my years doing so in the corporate help desk world.
There is a clear cmos jumper that you could try also.
m
l
August 6, 2012 6:54:04 PM

my bios version is f3 they are currently on f6. and yeah i totally forgot about the jumper I'm going to try that now
m
l
August 6, 2012 7:10:03 PM

so i tired the clear cmos jumper and it still boots to bios. But when i tried booting without the keyboard plugged in it boot to windows. so is it a usb port?
m
l
August 6, 2012 7:11:59 PM

Try a different keyboard if you can. It's possible the keyboard spits out some erroneous junk when it powers up, or that the bios key is stuck down. What kind of keyboard is it?
m
l
August 6, 2012 8:10:08 PM

Try pressing your bios key a bunch of times to see if it's a problem with the switch underneath the key that is stuck. Once the computer is booted, find something that will show if you press that key (if it's delete, try using it in notepad, if it's F1 find a game that uses f1 and try using it).

Try to find a spare keyboard from a friend or something, if you can hookup a different keyboard and not have the problem, then you know you can just return the keyboard and get a new one (if attempts to unstick the key are failed).
m
l
August 7, 2012 2:17:01 AM

well i tried your advice. My BIOS key is delete and I used it in notepad and everything seemed fine with the key no stick and works when i press it. I even got my friends keyboard and the problem still persist is there anything else I can do like change the BIOS key?
m
l
August 7, 2012 2:38:03 AM

are you using a usb keyboard?
m
l
August 7, 2012 2:40:19 AM

You can try turning on "usb legacy support" in the bios.
m
l
August 7, 2012 2:42:08 AM

DickJohnson said:
it is on

did you try it with it turned off also?
m
l
August 7, 2012 2:45:34 AM

yea and i then i tried it with the auto option
m
l
August 7, 2012 4:31:55 AM

I would upgrade the bios; Bios updates address fixes for things, and also upgrades things.
m
l
August 7, 2012 4:36:22 AM

yea i was about to do that but i wanted to see if there was anything else i could do. since flashing bios is risky and i just built this, would suck if it bricked on me
m
l
August 7, 2012 4:50:55 PM

If it's doing it with a different keyboard, then yah, try flashing it.

If it still does it, consider doing an trying to get an advanced RMA on the board (so they send you a new one and charge you, you send back the old and they refund the charge), you'll probably have to pay to ship too though.
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:00:28 PM

alright thnx for ur help
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:03:39 PM

one last question do i flash to the latest version or the next version from my current version
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:33:19 PM

You can flash the latest without flashing each version between the one you have and the latest.
It erases the whole BIOS, and programs the new version (so no need to worry what version you have).
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:33:26 PM

I read the bios page list yesterday, and it didn't mention to do any stepping first, so I would go ahead and use the newest bios update.
m
l
August 7, 2012 8:53:04 PM

flashed BIOS... still boots to BIOS *sigh*
m
l
August 7, 2012 9:14:39 PM

Sounds like it's time to call Gigabyte. Really hope they can help you, as that problem would drive me up the wall.
m
l
August 7, 2012 9:38:25 PM

yes thnx again for trying to assist me
m
l
!