Cat6 vs Cat5e

Last response: in Networking
August 25, 2004 2:32:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.home.automation,comp.home.automation (More info?)

I will be building a home in the near future and would like to "future
proof" it as much as possible. Is CAT6 now THE standard? Any reason to
stick with 5e aside from cost? Additionally, I know if I go Cat6 that I
will need Cat6 rated equipment throughout. Are the RJ45 connectors the same
for Cat6 and 5e?

Thanks!

More about : cat6 cat5e

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 8:02:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.home.automation,comp.home.automation (More info?)

Well CAT7 is THE new standard (just approved) with plans for 10GigE over
copper.

Handle it wrong and you have CAT3.

I use CAT5 quite happily and can terminate it correctly.

lanman10 wrote:

> I will be building a home in the near future and would like to "future
> proof" it as much as possible. Is CAT6 now THE standard? Any reason to
> stick with 5e aside from cost? Additionally, I know if I go Cat6 that I
> will need Cat6 rated equipment throughout. Are the RJ45 connectors the same
> for Cat6 and 5e?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 10:07:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.home.automation,comp.home.automation (More info?)

Greetings and Salutations....

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:32:22 -0400, "lanman10" <lanman10@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I will be building a home in the near future and would like to "future
>proof" it as much as possible. Is CAT6 now THE standard? Any reason to
>stick with 5e aside from cost? Additionally, I know if I go Cat6 that I
>will need Cat6 rated equipment throughout. Are the RJ45 connectors the same
>for Cat6 and 5e?
>
>Thanks!

First of all...good luck! THe only way to "future-proof" is
to know what the future will bring...and if you can do that, you need
to go into the stock market and not WORRY about house wiring *smile*.
Now...I suspect that the fact of the matter is that a person
can never have too much of it. At the least, I would run a couple
of cat5/6 lines to each room, terminating in boxes at opposite ends
of the room. I would also run at least one fiber optics line to each
room, and, a couple of RG6 video cables to each room.
Actually, what would be really nice would be to have a 1" conduit
running from the basement or central wiring closet to each room,
with the data cables in it, and, a pulling rope in place so more
or different data lines could be added later without serious
difficulty.
My feeling is that no matter what, the technologies of 10baseX
copper and fiber optics will provide enough data capacity that you
are more likely to move out of the house before you hit the ceiling...
unless something really unexpected happens.
Also, I am not sure that we normal folks are going to be
able to reap the benefits of cat6 cable for some time, so I don't
know that I would be happy about dumping the extra cash for the
cat6.
Regards
Dave Mundt
August 25, 2004 2:05:02 PM

"lanman10" <lanman10@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D bKdnd5Ef_yrZ7bcRVn-sg@comcast.com...
> I will be building a home in the near future and would like to "future
> proof" it as much as possible. Is CAT6 now THE standard? Any reason to
> stick with 5e aside from cost? Additionally, I know if I go Cat6 that I
> will need Cat6 rated equipment throughout. Are the RJ45 connectors the
same
> for Cat6 and 5e?
>
> Thanks!

I would agree with Dave that the one thing you must build into your new home
is central trunking! This above
anything else will future proof your wiring. Keep power a sensible distance
away from data cables unless you are using fibre.

Rob Miles
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 7:38:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.home.automation,comp.home.automation (More info?)

> I would agree with Dave that the one thing you must
> build into your new home is central trunking! This
> above anything else will future proof your wiring.

General:

I prefer to homerun (2) CAT5e cables from each location where a PC,
entertainment system or control station will be located. Run (2) RG6 quad
shield cables per location for video distribution.

Whole-house entertainment:

From the A/V source gear location (usually a rack or armoire in the home
theater or primary listening room), run (1) CAT5 + (1) RG6 Q/S + (2) 16/2
or 14/2 to each room. The CAT5 and the speaker cables go to a volume
control location which is usually level with or a few inches directly above
the light switch by the door. Leave an 18" loop of each wire for the
controller and continue over the ceiling to speaker and TV locations. The
CAT5 should continue over to one speaker. It doesn't matter if it's left or
right but be consistent.

The above will allow you to select from almost all of the available control
techniques, from simple impedence matching volume controls to sophisticated,
digitally controlled systems such as A-BUS, Russound CAV6.6 and Xantech
MRC88. The CAT5 at the speaker location allows you to hide an IR pickup
behind the speaker grill.

Communications:

If you plan to do an intercom system such as Aiphone or M&S, you need to
plan the specific choice in advance as the cable type and layout varies
considerably. If you need help, feel free to call me. I service DIYers.

> Keep power a sensible distance away from
> data cables unless you are using fibre.

Correct. That is critically important to certain systems and sort of
important to others. A good rule of thumb is 1 foot from 110 VAC and 2 feet
from 220 VAC.

Alarm and Home Automation System FAQ
http://www.bass-home.com/faq/masterfaq/faq.htm

Regards,
Robert

=============================>
Bass Home Electronics
2291 Pine View Circle
Sarasota · Florida · 34231
877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
941-925-9747 Fax
941-232-0791 Wireless
Nextel Private ID - 161*21755*1
http://www.bass-home.com
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
=============================>
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 8:02:54 AM

Robert L. Bass wrote:
>>I would agree with Dave that the one thing you must
>>build into your new home is central trunking! This
>>above anything else will future proof your wiring.
>

> General:
>
> I prefer to homerun (2) CAT5e cables from each location where a PC,
> entertainment system or control station will be located. Run (2) RG6 quad
> shield cables per location for video distribution.

But that's limited to where you think you will put those things.
Over think that.

My house's previous owners ran cable and phone to the bedroom.
And where they had the bed just annoys me (I don't want the sunrise
in my eyes). Which left me with COAX right behind the bed and phone
jack over by a bureau.

Without walls, you have that chance to leave cable in opposite corners
of the rooms. Having $5 of cable in a room unused is more palatable
than having the damn cable on the wrong side of the room because you
didn't think you'd get that new .... and you moved the TV across the room.

Home run a couple CAT5 (they are versatile for more than net

There's also something to be said for having a 4pair from one side of
the room to the other (along with 14/2's for speakers).
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 9:30:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.home.automation,comp.home.automation (More info?)

"lanman10" <lanman10@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D bKdnd5Ef_yrZ7bcRVn-sg@comcast.com...
> I will be building a home in the near future and would like to "future
> proof" it as much as possible. Is CAT6 now THE standard? Any reason to
> stick with 5e aside from cost? Additionally, I know if I go Cat6 that I
> will need Cat6 rated equipment throughout. Are the RJ45 connectors the
same
> for Cat6 and 5e?
>
> Thanks!

Your post has generated some great responses, but I just noticed none of the
posters actually directly answered your questions, so I'll try here.

CAT6 is a standard since June 1, 2002 as defined in TIA-568-B.2-1 standard
addendum.

Most reasons people put behind sticking with CAT5E these days have to do
with the fact that you cannot buy (for your home, anyways) any equipment
that would use any advantage of CAT6 over CAT5E. Your Gigabit Ethernet will
work over CAT5E just fine. There is also one other problem with CAT6 - the
new app on the block - 10G Ethernet will only work over 50m (164ft) or so,
so for your full 100 meters (295FT) channel you'll have to install what they
call "Augmented CAT6" (or, unofficially, CAT6A), which is NOT A STANDARD
YET! There have been couple interesting (and emotional, too) discussions on
the subject just recently, I'll try to dig them up from our archive and post
links here.

For CAT6 performance you need all CAT6 components in the channel as the
channel's performance is defined by its lowest performing component.

RJ45 connectors (8P8C) are different for CAT5E and CAT6, both jacks and
plugs.

Good luck with your new home!

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

If your looking for a good place to get quality cable for cheap check out kmythwholesale.com if you register with them as a reseller (or installer) you can get Cat5e solid copper for $59 and Cat6 solid copper 23AWG at $75 for thousand foot boxes. Can register right on the site takes 5 minutes and they will approve you right away. Just make sure you call in orders or you get stuck paying retail.

Maybe this will help you get your wiring done a little cheaper!
!