Help... Sony "Picture Package" only works for administrators

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 28, 2005 5:35:39 PM

I've just got a Sony DVD Handycam. Comes with "Picture Package"
software, which contains "DVD Viewer". This supposedly lets you see
stills and movies via a USB link to the Handycam.

Trouble is, unless I run "DVD Viewer" with admin privileges, I can only
see the stills, not the movies. Weird, eh?

Any ideas for a workaround or fix?

Thanks,
Ian.

OS: Win2K SP4, all windows updates applied
USB: 2.0
Hardware: CPU 3GHz. Memory 1GB. Disk 60GB.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:31:35 PM

On 28 Aug 2005 13:35:39 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Redplanet"
<ianb136@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>I've just got a Sony DVD Handycam. Comes with "Picture Package"
>software, which contains "DVD Viewer". This supposedly lets you see
>stills and movies via a USB link to the Handycam.
>
>Trouble is, unless I run "DVD Viewer" with admin privileges, I can only
>see the stills, not the movies. Weird, eh?
>
>Any ideas for a workaround or fix?

What happens after you transfer the files to the PC? Do you still need
admin privileges? What does Sony tech support say? Have you checked their
website for FAQs, or asked directly?
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
August 29, 2005 8:57:34 AM

Yep, tried that one. Indeed, the camera driver will only install if you
reboot after installing the CD, then plug in the the camera and "detect
new hardware" as <admin>, then reboot, then use the camera as any other
user.

I did also move the Sony TEMP directory away from <Program Files> and
into another area. Still no better.

Thanks for the help. I'll dig around some more for .dll's which are
readable only to admin or folders which are writable only by admin. You
never know.

I'll also try giving myself admin privs and reinstalling, then taking
away the privs. Might do the trick.
August 29, 2005 10:31:45 AM

On 29 Aug 2005 01:22:41 -0700, Redplanet wrote:

> If you have the same problem too, then I can only tell you that my
> current workaround hack is to tick "run as different user" in the
> start-up shortcut properties for Picture Package, then type in the
> admin username and password each time I run it. If I find something
> better I'll post it here.

I don't know if this will help or not, but some Sony Clie users
have had similar problems where they could only run the supplied
desktop software in XP if running as an administrator. They
installed the software running as an admin. and couldn't run it as a
non-admin. Some users found that if after installing the software
they rebooted the computer and ran the program one more time with
admin. privileges they could afterwards run the program from their
normal login. If this doesn't work, run the program with admin.
privilege and see if any TEMP or WORK folders have been set to
directory locations that your normal login can't access.
August 29, 2005 3:21:13 PM

Redplanet wrote:
> I've just got a Sony DVD Handycam. Comes with "Picture Package"
> software, which contains "DVD Viewer". This supposedly lets you see
> stills and movies via a USB link to the Handycam.
>
> Trouble is, unless I run "DVD Viewer" with admin privileges, I can only
> see the stills, not the movies. Weird, eh?
>
> Any ideas for a workaround or fix?
>
> Thanks,
> Ian.
>

> OS: Win2K SP4, all windows updates applied
> USB: 2.0
> Hardware: CPU 3GHz. Memory 1GB. Disk 60GB.

Check your documentation or google.
Sometimes a workaround may be to uninstall the program then reinstall it
but with the program files in a shared folder that you create - not a
subdirectory of the normal "program files" directory which the program
probably installs to by default.
Many poorly written new programs, or those legacy programs written for
Windows 9* require write access to files in the programs installed
directory, which is not available from a limited user account.
Unfortunately, such sloppiness probably makes it more likely that the
windows installer package doesn't allow the option to change install
directory.
The other possibility is that the program needs write access to the
windows registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER tree,
in which case the above workaround won't work.
!