Has folder icon changed?

As you see from the following screenshot, my normal yellow folder icon
has mysteriously been replaced by a blue 'monitor' icon.
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/FolderIcon1.gif

The correct one is still used in My Computer folders, as shown.

Anyone know how I can get the yellow folder back please?

BTW, the reason for the question mark in my Subject is that it's
possible I've had a mental lapse and the icon has *always* been that
blue one <g>.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
6 answers Last reply

    Hi Terry,

    No idea why this occurs, but I've seen similar problems in the past. Here is
    a workaround for you:

    Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe

    In the right-pane, create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named "TaskbarGroupIcon"

    Double-click "TaskbarGroupIcon" and set it's value as follows:

    %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe,13

    Disable Taskbar buttons grouping and enable the option back.

    Incorrect Taskbar group icon assigned for an application:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/taskbargroupicon.htm

    Grouped Similar Taskbar Buttons Use Incorrect Icons:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=818110

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > As you see from the following screenshot, my normal yellow folder icon
    > has mysteriously been replaced by a blue 'monitor' icon.
    > http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/FolderIcon1.gif
    >
    > The correct one is still used in My Computer folders, as shown.
    >
    > Anyone know how I can get the yellow folder back please?
    >
    > BTW, the reason for the question mark in my Subject is that it's
    > possible I've had a mental lapse and the icon has *always* been that
    > blue one <g>.
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

    >As you see from the following screenshot, my normal yellow folder icon
    >has mysteriously been replaced by a blue 'monitor' icon.
    >http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/FolderIcon1.gif
    >
    >The correct one is still used in My Computer folders, as shown.
    >
    >Anyone know how I can get the yellow folder back please?
    >
    >BTW, the reason for the question mark in my Subject is that it's
    >possible I've had a mental lapse and the icon has *always* been that
    >blue one <g>.

    Anyone? There's now no question about it; it *has* changed! But how?
    And how to get it back?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi Terry,
    >
    >No idea why this occurs, but I've seen similar problems in the past. Here is
    >a workaround for you:
    >
    >Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:
    >
    >HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe
    >
    >In the right-pane, create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named "TaskbarGroupIcon"
    >
    >Double-click "TaskbarGroupIcon" and set it's value as follows:
    >
    > %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe,13
    >
    >Disable Taskbar buttons grouping and enable the option back.
    >
    >Incorrect Taskbar group icon assigned for an application:
    >http://windowsxp.mvps.org/taskbargroupicon.htm
    >
    >Grouped Similar Taskbar Buttons Use Incorrect Icons:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=818110

    Thanks Ramesh. That looks very promising - but I have one major
    problem: I don't appear to have that key!

    In HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ I see these:
    ..
    ..
    dsquery.dll
    Email Effects.exe
    Epocinst.EXE
    EXCEL.EXE
    EzThumbs.exe
    firefox.exe
    FRONTPG.EXE
    ..
    ..
    ....but no 'explorer.exe'.

    Closing down for the night now, but will be back on the case in the
    morning. I sure want to get rid of this pesky blue interloper!

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry,
    If it's not available, you need to create one and set the value accordingly.

    --

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Terry,
    >>
    >>No idea why this occurs, but I've seen similar problems in the past. Here
    >>is
    >>a workaround for you:
    >>
    >>Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:
    >>
    >>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe
    >>
    >>In the right-pane, create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named
    >>"TaskbarGroupIcon"
    >>
    >>Double-click "TaskbarGroupIcon" and set it's value as follows:
    >>
    >> %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe,13
    >>
    >>Disable Taskbar buttons grouping and enable the option back.
    >>
    >>Incorrect Taskbar group icon assigned for an application:
    >>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/taskbargroupicon.htm
    >>
    >>Grouped Similar Taskbar Buttons Use Incorrect Icons:
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=818110
    >
    > Thanks Ramesh. That looks very promising - but I have one major
    > problem: I don't appear to have that key!
    >

    > In HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ I see these:
    > .
    > .
    > dsquery.dll
    > Email Effects.exe
    > Epocinst.EXE
    > EXCEL.EXE
    > EzThumbs.exe
    > firefox.exe
    > FRONTPG.EXE
    > .
    > .
    > ...but no 'explorer.exe'.
    >

    > Closing down for the night now, but will be back on the case in the
    > morning. I sure want to get rid of this pesky blue interloper!
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Terry,
    >If it's not available, you need to create one and set the value accordingly.

    Excellent, thanks Ramesh, you're a star! I nervously created that key
    first and then proceeded with the rest. Voilà - my yellow icon back
    again! And it's survived a reboot, so I feel reasonably confident it's
    sorted.

    Actually, before I started digging around to accomplish the
    penultimate step 'Disable Taskbar buttons grouping', I first closed
    the several folders I had open at the time, and then re-opened a few
    new ones. The yellow folder re-appeared at that stage. So I didn't
    have to disable/re-enable the option itself.

    I'm not 100% certain, but I *think* that key was one of the many that
    a new registry cleaner called RegSeeker which I've just installed
    found when I ran it for the first time. There were scores described as
    'redundant' or 'obsolete' or words to that effect. So maybe I will be
    encountering a few more quirks!

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Thanks for the feedback Terry. Nice to hear the problem is resolved.