Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Computer Build Graphics Card Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2012 7:48:00 AM

I just put together a new computer and the screen is not coming on when the graphics card (Radeon 6870) is plugged in. The screen and graphics will work when the card is unplugged, using the graphics from the mobo. I'm using a RGB adapter from the motherboard slot, since I forgot to pick up an HDMI cable. I figure this may be the problem, because the graphics card only has HDMI slots. Main question is, the screen should work when I plug in a HDMI cable straight to card? Even if it hasn't allowed me to install the driver yet?

The graphics card is still connected to the motherboard. When the power cables are installed, black screen. When power cables removed, motherboard acts as graphics. I have a 700 watt power supply. Everything else works fine. I hopes its just the lack of hdmi cables.
a c 200 U Graphics card
a c 462 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 8:09:36 AM

chall said:
I just put together a new computer and the screen is not coming on when the graphics card (Radeon 6870) is plugged in. The screen and graphics will work when the card is unplugged, using the graphics from the mobo. I'm using a RGB adapter from the motherboard slot, since I forgot to pick up an HDMI cable. I figure this may be the problem, because the graphics card only has HDMI slots. Main question is, the screen should work when I plug in a HDMI cable straight to card? Even if it hasn't allowed me to install the driver yet?

The graphics card is still connected to the motherboard. When the power cables are installed, black screen. When power cables removed, motherboard acts as graphics. I have a 700 watt power supply. Everything else works fine. I hopes its just the lack of hdmi cables.

make sure both 6 pin pci power plugs are plugged in and not just one.
m
l
June 16, 2012 8:16:35 AM

Yeah, both are in. When I plug them both in and turn the computer on, my monitor does not recognize anything. I unplug the power cords, the motherboard graphics take over. One of six plug pci power connectors has a two plug zip tied along with it, but I'm not using that two plug, just the two six plug pci power connectors.

I'm really just hoping its because I have an RGB connector to the mobo slot, and no HDMI into the graphics card slot. I don't have an RGB connection on the card itself.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 99 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 8:22:03 AM

Well, you are better off using a HDMI or DVI.
June 16, 2012 8:27:02 AM

Oh I know. I'm buying one in the morning. The HDMI was just something I thought I already had, but couldn't find when I finished building tonight. I'm using the computer right now, and everything else is getting 7.6 on the windows experience thing. This post is me just trying to tell myself that everything will be okay when I get the HDMI. :D 
m
l
June 17, 2012 10:44:21 PM

Best answer selected by chall.
m
l
June 17, 2012 10:44:50 PM

Everything is good now. Just needed HDMI cables.
m
l
!