Power Supply question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Since a Moderator closed my previous question, I'll ask it again.

So I have a system that, for the most part, uses very little juice. It has:

i3 2100
1 SSD Drive
2 1 TB WD Green HDD's ( 1 Sata 3, 1 Sata 6)
GA-Z68MA-2dh-b3 motherboard
1 DVD RW Drive (sata)
1 140MM fan
1 120MM fan
and a Antec Basiq 500W PSU with 36A on the 12V rails. (Antec Basiq 500U)

Now according to antec's PSU calc I SHOULD be able to get away with running my new video card with it, but the manufacturer states that I need a minimum of 38A on the 12V rails and a 550W minimum PSU.

I have a GTX 560 Ti 448 Core FTW card. I've used Antec for a lot of builds and I've always found them of good quality, but I want to be sure that this can power my new card for at least a year before I go ahead and pop for a more powerful PSU. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? I can run the card w/o using molex adapters (the PSU has 2 6 pins).

If anyone can give me a hand, I sure would appreciate it. I found a local retailer that has the Corsair HX1000W modular for $120, so if I need to, I could go that route.

Thanks for your help, all!

Solution
G

I neglected to mention this, but I have a Corsair TX650W from about 2 years ago, I barely used it, but it's in my other computer (which has a 5850, and from the manufacturer the 500W PSU would be enough for that.) So I might just swap my motherboards and hard drives (It would be easier than re-routing cables, trust me.) How about that?

G

if the PSU calc says your fine, your FINE.

the manufacture's site would give a suggestion/recommendation of a higher wattage PSU to account for systems with cpus (120 watts+) that would draw A LOT more power than an i3-2100 (60 watts); along with other components such as hard drives, RAM sticks and fans.

and file this under i just can't NOT say anything:
if u can get the hx1000w for 120$ id go with that, and leaves plenty room for future upgrades :)

thats WWAAAAYYY overkill for even a 7990 crossfire upgrade. (850 watts) well not too much here . .

Hi - you should be able to run that card with your Antec basiq - 1st - the card mfg's inflate the
power requirements on their pkg/sites to allow for psu's that have fictitious power specs.

Also, that Antec 500w was able to pull 640 in Hardware Secrets testing, so it appears to be
conservatively rated.

I agree with loon, you should be good to go with it.

Solution
Your Corsair TX650W has the requisite two PCI Express supplementary power connectors whereas your Antec Basiq BP500U only has one.

The problem, if any, that may arise, is with the Antec Basiq BP500U's +12 Volt rail distribution and the need to use a dual 4-pin Molex to 6-pin PCI-E adapter:

+12V1 rail (solid yellow wire): ATX (20+4)-pin Connector, 4-pin Molex Peripheral Connectors, SATA Connectors & one 6-pin PCI-E Connector.

+12V2 rail (yellow with black stripe wire): ATX12V/EPS12V connectors (i.e. CPU only).

Antec specifies that the OCP set point for each +12V rail is 25 Amps.

As long as you don't draw more current from the +12V1 rail than the rail's OCP trigger point you should be fine.

The GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition card can draw up to 19 Amps itself from the +12V rail during gaming depending on the manufacturer model and the clock frequencies being used.

I recommend that you use the Corsair TX650W since it will not encounter this problem.

G

The Basiq has 2 PCIE 6 Pin's amigo.

Status
Not open for further replies.