Sign in with
Your question

23/24'' TN/IPS display for office work, Internet and movies

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2012 11:52:18 AM

I'm planning to buy a 24'' monitor. I'll mainly use the display to work with text, internet and for movies. Much less for games (so far I have too weak hardware, although this may change). Is important for me that the monitor had a D-Sub (only such I have in my notebook) and DVI. I considered BENQ LED GL2450HM , Philips 247E3LPHSU and Acer G245HABID.
However I met with an advice that it is better to look around for a IPS panel. I drew attention on the: 23'' LG IPS235V-BN, Iiyama Prolite XB2374HDS and DELL U2312HM. I noticed that these three gather the most positive reviews, but which to choose? And whether it's worth buying one inch smaller display but with IPS panel or maybe 24'' TN?
a c 359 U Graphics card
June 16, 2012 1:46:22 PM

On a low budget I would go with either the Dell U2312HM or the Dell 2412M. I prefer the 2412M.

The most annoying thing about TN panel monitors is the color shift. Even if you slightly adjust your sit position or move your head around you can notice the colors shifting around a bit. The more off center you are the more extreme the color shift. For me, I can be sitting perfectly still and have my head point directly at the center of the screen, but if I just merely roll my eyes around I can notice color shifting.

The biggest complaint people have about e-IPS monitors like the Dells are:

1. Slightly more expensive
2. Slow response times (8ms)
3. None of them support 120Hz

#1 is generally true.
#2 is also true, but many people who plays games with e-IPS monitors will tell you that it is perfectly fine for games except for people who insist on buying a 2ms response time monitor and will look at nothing else. Response time is not an exact science is it doesn't actually tell you the monitor's performance.
#3 is also true. e-IPS (and other IPS) monitors cannot do 120Hz at the moment because of the inherent limits of that technology.

Since you do not play games #2 & #3 does not apply to you.

IPS monitors generally have better static contrast ratio than TN panels. Do not bother looking a Dynamic contrast ratio where you may see numbers like 20,000:1 or 1,000,000:1. Most of it is a marketing ploy, Dynamic contrast ratio does work, but not in the way you think it does. Similar to response times. However, would you rather listen to someone explain to you how contrast ratio works for 5 minutes, or would rather look at those bogus numbers and make a decision within 10 seconds?

IPS and TN panel monitors have static contrast ratios of 1,000:1. If you see them listed as part of the specs. However, in actuality when both of these types of monitors are test, IPS monitors tend to be much closer to that 1,000:1 than TN panel monitors. It varies from the different models, but this is generally true. The higher actual static contrast ratio means it is better for movies in dark scenes as it will allow you see more detail and colors / shades do not get "crushed together".

Below are the viewing angles of the e-IPS panel Dell U2312HM monitor and a link to the review:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-...

Below are the viewing angles for the TN panel Iiyama ProLite B2475HDS-B1 monitor and a link to the review:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-iiyam...
!