Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Good quiete and somewhat cheap fan for cpu?

Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2012 9:51:28 PM

I have an amd phenom 2 720x3 be. I built this rig about 3 years ago and the cpu fan is a little too loud for me now (just cleaned it and everything is still loud). Also should I replace the thermal paste after 3 years? I assume anything to make it run cooler will quiet the fan. It also doesn't have to be super quiet because my case is a cooler master HAF:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The haf's fans run pretty loud so as long is it is quieter than that most of the time it should be fine. So anything that will stay about the noise level of the hafs stock fans would be great.

I want a quality fan that will cool my cpu. Here are the things I want it to do in order of importance:
1. Replace my loud stock cpu
2. Cheap/good bang for your buck
3. Work with some kind of smart fan control to be quiet when not doing processor intensive stuff
4. Possibly allow for some light overclocking without boosting the noise level too much

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2012 10:02:07 PM

Can you list make and model of motherboard you have , you might be able to slow down the heatsink fan from the BIOS. Also do you have cool and quiet enabled in the BIOS?
m
l
December 21, 2012 10:47:18 PM

knightdog56 said:
Can you list make and model of motherboard you have , you might be able to slow down the heatsink fan from the BIOS. Also do you have cool and quiet enabled in the BIOS?

asus m4a79deluxe. I had it disabled. Just enabled it and it's still pretty loud...
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2012 11:10:56 PM

Go back into BIOS under power mode.
CPU Q-Fan ( Enabled)
( PWR)
Quiet CPU Fan Mode ( optimal or silent) your choice
Save and Exit
See if this makes a difference in fan noise.
m
l
December 21, 2012 11:26:12 PM

I changed it to silent and it is now quieter. The cpu fan still seems to have a rattling sound to it although now it's quieter than before and it messed up the resolution on both my monitors. How will this affect performance? Thanks.
m
l

Best solution

December 21, 2012 11:35:33 PM

The cooler master hyper 212 evo is a pretty great cooler for $35
Hyper 212 EVO
its not the quietest, but it allows you to easily replace fan if you want something quieter
it is, in my opinion, one of the best coolers, as far as cooling per $
TH cooling article
December 21, 2012 11:44:39 PM

cdburner5911 said:
The cooler master hyper 212 evo is a pretty great cooler for $35
Hyper 212 EVO
its not the quietest, but it allows you to easily replace fan if you want something quieter
it is, in my opinion, one of the best coolers, as far as cooling per $
TH cooling article

Thanks. If I end up buying one I think that will be it :) . Does anyone know how the newly changed bios settings will affect my computers performance? Quieting my fans must mean more heat, which I assume means less performance :( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2012 11:47:00 PM

The only thing it affects is how the cpu fan is controlled, it has nothing to do with the resolution of the monitors, that is controlled by you video card. Just change the monitor resoultion to where it was before.
m
l
December 22, 2012 1:34:07 PM

knightdog56 said:
The only thing it affects is how the cpu fan is controlled, it has nothing to do with the resolution of the monitors, that is controlled by you video card. Just change the monitor resoultion to where it was before.

Thanks, I was just pointing it out because I thought it was strange (since they are unrelated). Anyway I was wandering how the decreased cooling will affect performance. Will my fans be allowed to speed up if the cpu needs to do something more intensive and creates more heat? Or will it force the cpu to slow down to keep temps down?

Also Idk where the rattling is coming from in the cpu. The heatsink and cpu seem to be pretty secure :( 

Thanks for your help.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2012 2:08:46 PM

If their is an applique installed on the fan it may be off center thus causing the fan to be out of balance, check that while you are powering down, if it is out of round remove it, also check to see if fan is secured to heatsink properly (tight). If you set the CPU fan speed control to optimal you should have no problem with heat issues unless you are running prime95 for hours on end, fan speed should adjust automaticly to temperature of processor
m
l
December 22, 2012 8:19:28 PM

Do you think the evo will definitely run quieter than the stock amd phenom ii fan?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2012 11:55:04 PM

The EVO will probably run more quiet until you put the processor under a very heavy load, another thing to consider is, will you have enough clearence for memory, if you have four slots and they are all populated you could have a clearence issue with the Collermaster Hyper 212 EVO fan touching the memory.
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:19:36 PM

Thanks I have a little less than one inch space between the ram. Do you think this will be enough?

Also, should I reapply thermal compound when I swap them out? What kind of thermal past should I buy ?

Thanks.
m
l
December 26, 2012 4:35:05 PM

Also, should I reapply thermal compound when I swap them out?
m
l
!