Gateway NV53 Wireless adapter disappearing

Tags:
  • Connectivity
  • Wireless Adapter
  • Gateway
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 24, 2011 12:56:38 AM

I'm trying to diagnose & repair a problem with the built in wireless adapter on a gateway NV53. The OS is 64 bit Win 7.

Background: (you can ignore this, just giving as much info as possible)
The computer isn't mine, I was just trying to repair it for a friend. Initially, the wifi worked fine; the disk drive seemed to have a bad laser or something, sometimes there were problems with printers, it was slow to start, etc., so I thought I would just backup everything, "restore to factory defaults" (reformat & reinstall OS from hidden partition), then copy everything back / reinstall programs. I wanted to reformat just to clean it up, etc.

The Problem: (this is the main issue I want to ask about, fix)
After reformatting and updating windows to the latest version, it seemed to work fine (I hadn't tested those other problems, they are unimportant). However, after the computer is on for awhile - anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours - the wireless adapter suddenly can't see any networks. There are several networks in the area, so I know it isn't a problem with my router (also, other comps. can see them all still) After awhile longer, the wireless adapter disappears completely from device manager. I think that when it initially loses track of all the networks, the mouse, typing, etc. slow down and have jerky movement for a minute (may be incidental). When I restart the computer, the adapter works fine again, but of course, only for awhile.

Things I've tried:
-Setting the power settings on the adapter (don't allow power saving to turn this off.. box)
-reformatting
-updating drivers
-updating windows
-running antivirus
-uninstalling the antivirus

Is it a bad adapter? I'm pretty much stumped. I guess I have to open it up, huh? I am pretty sure it is no longer under warranty. Everything makes it look like a hardware issue to me, but the fact that it only happened after reformatting, and the accompanying slowdown, make me think it just might be some driver thing. I'm not very confident in my hardware ability, so I hesitate to try to open it, might just take it to a repair shop.

Thanks for any help

More about : gateway nv53 wireless adapter disappearing

September 26, 2011 8:50:40 PM

I am sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I did want to let you know mine has been doing the exact same thing. I have had this computer for about 18 months now (so of course just out of warranty) and this just became an issue within the last couple of weeks.

If you do find out any answers I would love to know!

parvulus said:
I'm trying to diagnose & repair a problem with the built in wireless adapter on a gateway NV53. The OS is 64 bit Win 7.

Background: (you can ignore this, just giving as much info as possible)
The computer isn't mine, I was just trying to repair it for a friend. Initially, the wifi worked fine; the disk drive seemed to have a bad laser or something, sometimes there were problems with printers, it was slow to start, etc., so I thought I would just backup everything, "restore to factory defaults" (reformat & reinstall OS from hidden partition), then copy everything back / reinstall programs. I wanted to reformat just to clean it up, etc.

The Problem: (this is the main issue I want to ask about, fix)
After reformatting and updating windows to the latest version, it seemed to work fine (I hadn't tested those other problems, they are unimportant). However, after the computer is on for awhile - anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours - the wireless adapter suddenly can't see any networks. There are several networks in the area, so I know it isn't a problem with my router (also, other comps. can see them all still) After awhile longer, the wireless adapter disappears completely from device manager. I think that when it initially loses track of all the networks, the mouse, typing, etc. slow down and have jerky movement for a minute (may be incidental). When I restart the computer, the adapter works fine again, but of course, only for awhile.

Things I've tried:
-Setting the power settings on the adapter (don't allow power saving to turn this off.. box)
-reformatting
-updating drivers
-updating windows
-running antivirus
-uninstalling the antivirus

Is it a bad adapter? I'm pretty much stumped. I guess I have to open it up, huh? I am pretty sure it is no longer under warranty. Everything makes it look like a hardware issue to me, but the fact that it only happened after reformatting, and the accompanying slowdown, make me think it just might be some driver thing. I'm not very confident in my hardware ability, so I hesitate to try to open it, might just take it to a repair shop.

Thanks for any help

m
l
!