Hello,

I had a glimpse of a system running XP Embedded NT & on the desktop in the
right handside the was a whole lot of info. The bits that caught my
attention were the IP address, hard drives & their letters, the free space &
used space. Is there anyway of tweaking XP Pro to have this feature or is it
just for the embedded system. I would really like to have this on my XP Pro
desktop. Anybody with ideas of info on how I can obtain this?

Thanks,

ISX

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:d5vool$kf$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,
ISX <jhgsd@asjnd.ckjhs> had this to say:

> Hello,
>
> I had a glimpse of a system running XP Embedded NT & on the desktop
> in the right handside the was a whole lot of info. The bits that
> caught my attention were the IP address, hard drives & their letters,
> the free space & used space. Is there anyway of tweaking XP Pro to
> have this feature or is it just for the embedded system. I would
> really like to have this on my XP Pro desktop. Anybody with ideas of
> info on how I can obtain this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ISX

No but you might like this:

http://www.statbar.nl/

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

Isn't it possible to do this using group policies?

I seem to remember reading about it somewhere.......... it would appear
almost like when you log into safe mode and it says it in each corner.

I managed to get it displaying the service pack number before but I believe
this was windows 2000.

Anyone got any ideas?

> In news:d5vool$kf$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,
> ISX <jhgsd@asjnd.ckjhs> had this to say:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I had a glimpse of a system running XP Embedded NT & on the desktop
>> in the right handside the was a whole lot of info. The bits that
>> caught my attention were the IP address, hard drives & their letters,
>> the free space & used space. Is there anyway of tweaking XP Pro to
>> have this feature or is it just for the embedded system. I would
>> really like to have this on my XP Pro desktop. Anybody with ideas of
>> info on how I can obtain this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ISX
>
> No but you might like this:
>
> http://www.statbar.nl/
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:arKie.8334$8K5.7787@newsfe3-win.ntli.net,
Jamie <jamieallisonYOURHEAD@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> Isn't it possible to do this using group policies?
>
> I seem to remember reading about it somewhere.......... it would
> appear almost like when you log into safe mode and it says it in each
> corner.
> I managed to get it displaying the service pack number before but I
> believe this was windows 2000.

Not that I'm aware of. You can display version on the desktop if you really
wanted but that's not really as much fun as you might think it would be and
that's all the information that it gives you. It would just say the version,
the number, and the service pack currently installed. I've enabled this with
X-Setup - www.x-setup.net - and didn't really like it that much at all. I'd
highly recommend the stat bar if you're interested in the displaying of
system information on the desktop. I've tried it and found I liked it so
much that I just kind of have left it there on a number of computers. I
think it's because I like to see how long I can go without rebooting barring
updates.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

On Thu, 12 May 2005 14:21:09 +0000 (UTC), ISX wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had a glimpse of a system running XP Embedded NT & on the desktop in the
> right handside the was a whole lot of info. The bits that caught my
> attention were the IP address, hard drives & their letters, the free space &
> used space. Is there anyway of tweaking XP Pro to have this feature or is it
> just for the embedded system. I would really like to have this on my XP Pro
> desktop. Anybody with ideas of info on how I can obtain this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ISX

A third party offering that can do these things is Sysmetrix:
http://www.xymantix.com/sysmetrix/index.html
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:ujXX2BKXFHA.628@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> had this to say:

> On Thu, 12 May 2005 14:21:09 +0000 (UTC), ISX wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I had a glimpse of a system running XP Embedded NT & on the desktop
>> in the right handside the was a whole lot of info. The bits that
>> caught my attention were the IP address, hard drives & their
>> letters, the free space & used space. Is there anyway of tweaking XP
>> Pro to have this feature or is it just for the embedded system. I
>> would really like to have this on my XP Pro desktop. Anybody with
>> ideas of info on how I can obtain this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ISX
>
> A third party offering that can do these things is Sysmetrix:
> http://www.xymantix.com/sysmetrix/index.html

I took a peek :) It might serve as a replacement for StatBar if it's any
good and not too intrusive. Thank ye ;)

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

On Fri, 20 May 2005 12:16:27 -0400, Galen wrote:

> I took a peek :) It might serve as a replacement for StatBar if it's any
> good and not too intrusive. Thank ye ;)

You're welcome, Galen!
--
Sharon F