Nividia Driver 301.40 help

euansharp

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Hi Guys

I was wanting to try the Nividia beta 301.40 drivers (64 bit) but when I downloaded them from Guru3D via Zoom downloader they came as a .php file. I am no expert on file formats and was wondering how I would go about installing these drivers.

Cheers for any help.

Solution
G
yeas, core/clock speed.
it seems as much as nVidia did nice to make the clock speed dynamic depending on the gpu usage to keep the power consumption down while idling and boost to help increase performance appears to have some flonky incidentals.

it might be a benefit to keep an eye on the temps and experiment with the fan speed. if you notice a drop in performance at a given temp it might indicate how you are running into issues.

euansharp

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Thanks I had read that 301.42 was not very good so was looking to find a better driver for my card. right now I am using 301.34 which seems to be working fine but not using the card to its fullest potential. Oh well guess I will wait for the next official driver to be released. Curious why Guru3D gave me a .php file if I cant use it.

G

somehow you seemed to have downloaded the page and not the driver, no idea how that happen to you.

what card do you have, also if it's not broke don't fix it. i have rolled back to the last good driver for myself countless times because i keep hoping the next would be better. if you really do want to try the
BETA version; it is there on the download page under Beta, Older drivers and more.

euansharp

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I just ran msi kombustor I had a gpu load of around 97% to 99% with pretty much the same gpu usage with an fps of 150 but when I play a game like skyrim on ultra that stars off at around 70 fps drops to an average of 50fps or lower. The gpu usage is also very low starting at 40% and dropping to the twenties. My cpu is an i52500K no overclocking. Any idea why this might happen I believed it was a driver issue.

BeWater

Honorable
May 11, 2012
In case you have not done that already, you might want to set the Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance. (NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings)

G

i wasn't considering your PSU but the power management of the card itself.
i don't use afterburner; try using a "profile" to up the clock speed just a few hertz and see if that doesn't keep the card from downclocking.

euansharp

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Ok have changed to precision x and have upped core clock by 3MHz and mem clock by 2MHz and this seems to have improved things quite a bit.

Skyrim Tribes and BF3 now have Fps 50 to 70
Heaven Uniengine min Fps 22.4 Max Fps 178.8 av 93Fps

Thanks a million thats much more what I expected from this card.
I reckon these settings are good what do you think?

G

ok. it really isn't desirable to have percisionX to use as a work around to keep the gpu from dipping down in usage. we didn't look at if your core speed was downclocking . .that could be heat related; not saying it is overheating; my 550ti gets flonky when the temp hit 70c when it shouldn't have a problem and wants to downclock so i use the fan curve to keep the temps @ 60c.

you may want to run default clocks and use the fan curve to adjust the fan speed. if that works . .well sorta disappointing to have to use software to make a high end graphics card run properly . .oh, that a driver! :eek:

euansharp

Honorable
May 14, 2012
When you say core speed do you mean clock speed because I do see slight ups and downs when I play games but nothing as major as the jumps I used to get. I can use AB to increase the fan speed but so far my gpu hasnt got that toasty yet probably due to the windforce 3 fan system in place (set that thing to 100 and it sounds like a jet engine) so I will set that to 70 and see if it smooths things up.

G

yeas, core/clock speed.
it seems as much as nVidia did nice to make the clock speed dynamic depending on the gpu usage to keep the power consumption down while idling and boost to help increase performance appears to have some flonky incidentals.

it might be a benefit to keep an eye on the temps and experiment with the fan speed. if you notice a drop in performance at a given temp it might indicate how you are running into issues.

Solution

euansharp

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Right I think I have found the root of the problem, turns out the motherboard BIOS was not up to date and I was 2 drivers behind (facepalm).

Thanks anyway for all your help the card is now behaving as expected without additional sofware I thought I had sorted out the motherboard turns out I was wrong oops.

G

glad you got it sorted. :)