Sign in with
Your question

Help repairing older build

Last response: in CPUs
December 22, 2012 1:37:04 AM

Hi everyone, I have recently run into some unfortunate luck with an older build and I was looking for some help in trying to fix it. This is a home build, that I built with a friend a few years ago.

PSU/Case Rosewill TU-155 Black 0.8mm SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 400W(20+4 pin) Power Supply

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU: BIOSTAR VA4853NHG2-YB1RY Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775

HDD: Western Digital WD Green WD15EADS 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA

Optical: SAMSUNG 22X Half-Height DVD Writer Model SH-S222A - OEM

Memory: Corsair XMS2 (2x 1GB) Memory Module PC2-6400 800MHz DDR2
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

Recently the computer had shut down on me without any prompt. When I restarted, the windows diagnostic tool fired up, and in the middle of it running, the computer shut down again, this time for good. The computer was completely dead, and wouldn't give the slightest hint of power. Upon opening my case I found that my graphics card fan had fallen off, and the card was so hot that when my hand brushed it I got a light burn. I removed the GPU and tried to boot again. I got power this time, and everything seemed to be running. Figuring a bad card, I bought a replacement GeForce 9800 GT HDMI 1GB 256-bit DDR3. Now I have replaced the card, and am trying to boot, but I get no feed on my display, and my CPU fan is not running. LED lights come on, mobo lights come on, my HDD starts up, but that's all. Also note that before installing the new GPU, I reset the CMOS on my board by taking out the battery for a minute, and then replacing it.

Any ideas?

More about : repairing older build

a c 390 à CPUs
December 22, 2012 2:19:19 AM

It sounds like your graphics card's cataclysmic failure fried the motherboard's S.B. chip set.
m
l
December 22, 2012 2:26:55 AM

I should probably also note that the fan does move just a little, more like a twitch when the computer is initially powered. It also moves when the computer is turned off. It seems the longer the power is on, the stronger a twitch when turned off, actually spinning for a second sometimes if the power is left on long enough.
m
l
a c 390 à CPUs
December 22, 2012 2:33:20 AM

Brimm said:
I should probably also note that the fan does move just a little, more like a twitch when the computer is initially powered. It also moves when the computer is turned off. It seems the longer the power is on, the stronger a twitch when turned off, actually spinning for a second sometimes if the power is left on long enough.

That's probably just capacitance build up discharging thru the fan motor.

You could also have damaged the PSU. If there is availability to a 2nd PSU, try it to see if you got lucky and it's "only" the PSU that got ruined.
m
l
!