Sign in with
Your question

Cpu or ram?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 22, 2012 1:53:05 AM

Hello all, a very long time ago i destroyed my mobo and psu and possibly ram or cpu. now it is down to just ram and cpu cuz i got new mobo and psu. how can i test which one it is? worried i will assume the wrong component is broken and buy a new one. so how can i differentiate between a busted cpu and ram? many thnks,
clok555

More about : cpu ram

a c 146 à CPUs
December 22, 2012 2:05:12 AM

clok555 said:
Hello all, a very long time ago i destroyed my mobo and psu and possibly ram or cpu. now it is down to just ram and cpu cuz i got new mobo and psu. how can i test which one it is? worried i will assume the wrong component is broken and buy a new one. so how can i differentiate between a busted cpu and ram? many thnks,
clok555

How many RAM slots do you have and how many are occupied. For this example lets say you have two sticks of RAM and 4 DIMM slots. Take stick one and test it in the first slot. If everything is ok move to slot 2 and continue until you test that first stick in all four slots. Then repeat with the second stick. Also if the computer is booting you can run MemTest 86+ and that will test the RAM further. What exactly is the problem what is the computer doing, or not doing.

http://www.memtest.org/
m
l
a c 337 à CPUs
December 22, 2012 2:05:15 AM

You can't without testing the components in a working system. If you can boot, run memtest to check the memory.
http://www.memtest.org/

Unless you "destroyed" the system in some unusual way, the memory would be the more likely culprit.
m
l
Related resources
December 22, 2012 2:13:21 AM

ok well i have no modern computers to test it in otherwise i would have already done so.. yeah i assume it would be the ram. because it was some power surge or something, and the cpu is better protected from that.as of now i dont know if either is damaged, but i have to wait to go home and test so i am stressing about it as usual.
i guess i will just have to hope that it works and if not i will come back. is there a place youcan send components to be tested?
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
December 22, 2012 2:17:54 AM

clok555 said:
ok well i have no modern computers to test it in otherwise i would have already done so.. yeah i assume it would be the ram. because it was some power surge or something, and the cpu is better protected from that.as of now i dont know if either is damaged, but i have to wait to go home and test so i am stressing about it as usual.
i guess i will just have to hope that it works and if not i will come back. is there a place youcan send components to be tested?

Either a computer repair shop or for stuff like motherboards, videocards and maybe RAM back to the manufacture.
m
l
!