Sign in with
Your question

Home Built v HP Pre-Built Performance Issues

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2012 2:28:44 AM

Hello, I built a new computer recently. But after setting up everything, I realized that my build was slower at running certain games than my brother's. The specs for each are below. I'm at a loss to why this is the case. While he's able to run the games on high graphics, I have to set everything to low. Before I purchased the parts, I was so certain that my research was enough. I successfully put everything together but it's not running the way I had envisioned. Hoping someone can shed some light. (Both systems are loaded with defaults.)

My System:
AMD FX-4100 quad-core 3.6GHz
Asus M5A97 Evo
Asus HD6450 1Gb DDR3
Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600 CL9 240

Brother's System:
AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz
Asus EAH4670 512Mb DDR3
Unknown Generic 4GB RAM

My brother's computer is a pre-built HP computer package (HP Pavilion 6610f) so I'm not entirely sure about the other specs.

Is there something I didn't setup right? Would really appreciate some direction on this.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 7, 2012 3:25:58 AM

ask him what resolution he's playing at. that's about the only thing i can think of now that would result in him getting a better performance.

farfetched as it may seem, but you may also have an HDD with bad sectors, so try to perform a disk check just in case.

the GPU though, i'm not all quite sure, but i reckoned a recent lower end GPU should perform close to a 2 generations older lower-mid end GPU.
m
l
August 7, 2012 3:38:41 AM

the problem is the video card. the 6450 is a low end card. what resolutions are u both running at?
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2012 3:39:11 AM

1. Do you have your graphics card drivers set-up properly?

2. While you have a newer graphics card than his, his was a mid range card when new and he has roughly double the number of shader processors.

3. While I don't really love passmark as a benchmark it does give a quantifiable number to directly rate different cpu against each other in raw processing power your brothers athlon is rated at 3,359 your bulldozer is at 3,972 so not a huge ammount of difference there. For most games 4 gigs of ram is plenty unless he has a bunch of stuff open in the back-ground.

I don't think you are doing as well as you could with your system if you are getting as poor of quality as it sounds but you did buy a very low end gpu.
m
l
August 7, 2012 3:40:16 AM

The Radeon HD 4670 is much faster graphics card than the Radeon HD 6450.

4670: 320 shaders, 32 texturing units, 8 ROPs

6450: 160 shaders, 8 texturing units, 4 ROPs
m
l
August 7, 2012 4:48:11 AM

Hello, thanks for all the responses! It's much appreciated. To answer the questions:

1. My brother's monitor supports a resolution of 1600x900 (which is what he has his system set at). Mine is at 1366x768 which is the max I can set mine at.

2. I ran check disk on my hard drive and it came back as good, no bad sectors. Same goes for his. I also checked the types - his is a SATA3 while mine is a SATA1. Does that make a huge difference?

3. In terms of graphics drivers, I downloaded the latest drivers when I setup the system.

4. I am experiencing some shader problems with Mass Effect 1 but from my searching, it sounded like it's a Bulldozer problem(?).

Does that mean it's primarily my GPU that's the culprit? Seems like even Microsoft has a problem with it - it gave me a 4.5 rating on the graphics score in the Windows Experience Index. :??: 
m
l
August 7, 2012 4:08:28 PM

oopsies said:
Hello, thanks for all the responses! It's much appreciated. To answer the questions:

1. My brother's monitor supports a resolution of 1600x900 (which is what he has his system set at). Mine is at 1366x768 which is the max I can set mine at.

2. I ran check disk on my hard drive and it came back as good, no bad sectors. Same goes for his. I also checked the types - his is a SATA3 while mine is a SATA1. Does that make a huge difference?

3. In terms of graphics drivers, I downloaded the latest drivers when I setup the system.

4. I am experiencing some shader problems with Mass Effect 1 but from my searching, it sounded like it's a Bulldozer problem(?).

Does that mean it's primarily my GPU that's the culprit? Seems like even Microsoft has a problem with it - it gave me a 4.5 rating on the graphics score in the Windows Experience Index. :??: 

Your GPU is the culprit as was implied by in my previous post.
m
l
August 7, 2012 8:14:03 PM

Ok, thanks. I'm looking at this one: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35341 . It's XFX Radeon HD6870 1GB. The specs I got from here: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=635&card2... .

I'm trying to calculate the power requirements and was wondering if I'm crunching the numbers correctly:

PSU: XFX ProSeries 550W
Min +3.3V Output Current (A):0.1
Min +5V Output Current (A):0.2
Min -12V Output Current (A):0.6
Max +12V1 Output Current (A):44
Max +3.3V Output Current (A):24
Max +5V Output Current (A):24
Max +5VSB Output Current (A):2.5
Max -12V Output Current (A):0.5
Wattage(W):550

So, for the new video card, would the calculation be as follows:

Video Card: 151W / 12V = 12.58A
CPU: 226W (max) / 12V = 18.83A

All others:
Motherboard: 30W
RAM: 5W
HDD: 15W
Optical: 15W
Fans: 3W
Total: 68W (round up to 70W)

Others: 70W / 12V = 5.83A

Total Current: 37.24A (PSU current is 44A)
Total Power: 447W (PSU power is 550W)

I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to add current like that?
m
l
!