Sign in with
Your question

Live! sucks...Philips sucks...

Last response: in Components
August 21, 2001 3:41:19 PM

Ok, I've had the same problem with my Soundblaster Live! 5.1 OEM and my Philips Seismic edge.
I have an Abit KT7a-RAID with the KT133a chipset (and yes, the Via 686b Southbridge).
I've been having the usual problems people have. Crackling, crashes, etc.

However, I have W2k SP2, Via 4-in-1 4.32, some other fix from ViaHardware.com, etc. And both the cards have the problem. What's the deal?

My setup:
Abit KT7a-RAID (HighPoint 370 RAID chip)
Tbird 1.2/266 (not overclocked in an effort to help this)
512meg of PC133 (generic)
Hercules GeForce 2 MX 64meg
2x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60's 30gig in RAID 0
Asus 50x CD-ROM (Primary Master)
Teac 12/10/32 CD-RW (Secondary Master
WD 5400RPM 10gig (Secondary Slave), unplugged ATM
Mitsumi floppy drive
Netgear FA310tx NIC (PCI slot 4)
Currently the Philips Seismic Edge (PCI slot 5)

I just reinstalled Windows last night, and I started copying stuff back onto my hard drives from CD, started playing an MP3 (in Winamp and Morhpeus), and it crackled. Didn't matter which CD drive I used.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
August 23, 2001 1:55:51 AM

a) Have you tried the new drivers?
b) Have you tried it with the nic card uninstalled?
c) Is it sharing an IRQ with any other device?
d) Have you tried getting a quality sound cord

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!
August 23, 2001 4:29:35 AM

I know that I might sound like a broken record, but does you problem go away when you have the sound card in PCI # 3? This slot has the least problems (when sharing IRQ's and other resources) I only install sound cards on this slot and to my knowledge, none of the machines I have built have ever had this problem.

If it works for you then don't fix it.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 23, 2001 11:56:12 AM

...and still in broken record mode, watch for the DOS audio legacy settings which uses IRQ 5, which classes with highpoint controller.
(It actually blue-sreened on me but I guess the symptoms could differ)

BR
JN
August 23, 2001 3:43:26 PM

Hey, finally some replies. Thanks everyone.

a) Philips site sucks, if you can find me new drivers, I'd be very happy. The Live had the newest drivers
b) Have not, I will try that
c) I'm not sure, my suspicion is that it is
d) Sound cord? I used my headphones, if the cord isn't quality, there's no hope for life

I'll also try PCI slot #3, and look out for DOS settings (although I wouldn't think W2k would have those?)

Thanks, people.

August 23, 2001 11:42:28 PM

Well, the card works, but not very well. I have random noises and bad volume for different voices :( 

August 31, 2001 1:53:35 AM

Fat try two things go in in safe mode go to device mgr. go to the sound video and game controllers and click the + next to it, do you see a shitload of old drivers? if so remove all but the ones referring to the card thats installed. 2. the philips website www.philipsusa.com does not have drivers for the 704(seismic edge) but they have another site www.pcsound.philips.com , here they have your drivers. good luck

Thank you very little!
August 31, 2001 7:02:17 AM

heh, I feel fo ya, in the mean time using Ensoniq (Sound Blaster PCI – 64-128) and MS.SS-80 through USB, never have anything crackling, crashed, etc. It replaced MX300 which I moved into gaming machine (CUSL2-C), which worked fine in KT7A (work horse machine).
I have used Live! for some time on KT7A with K7@933 and it worked alright, I just did not like the sound quality of it. If you have just 2.1 or similar speakers, I would think you dont really need SB Live! for that matter, Creative's lower end card gives me better sound than Live! line for music playing (just my experience, might differ with others), and nothing beats MX300 in games yet (my own point of view as well).

In the mean time, when you put Live! in, do not install drivers right from the setup.exe on the CD, it loads whole bunch of stuff you do not need (especially Win2k do not need them at all ;)  Update driver from the Device Manager and point it to the Driver folder on the CD. Try that, might help. PCI slot does not really matter, I had it all over the place and it worked fine everywhere.
!