Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics help for an Intel Core i7-3960X E Sandy Bridge build

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2012 5:45:38 PM

i was reading through several other threads and trying to wade through the debates and found this to be the most practical way to start this thread.

Based on this criteria please help with card selection (i borrowed this list from another thread and added a couple):

1. Graphics quality options
2. Drivers
3. Unique technologies
4. Power/performance
5. Price/performance (price not necessarily important until we hit diminishing returns)
6. Noise
7. Performance match with the games that one actually intends to play (BF3? Skyrim? Max Payne 3? Aliens vs. Predator? Metro 2033? Etc.)... i'm not sure which one(s)
8. Performs with apps like Steam etc... (unless implied in # 7)
9. Performs with Adobe Master Suites CS5.x and CS6.x (video rendering and photo editing)

Approximate Purchase Date: 05-18-2012

Budget Range: unlimited on graphics configuration

System Usage from Most to Least Important: runs most anything @ high res and extremely fast

Parts Not Required: everything but graphics (unless you want to comment on the 2 boards i am considering in wish list)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: brand not an issue (whoever offers best configuration)

Overclocking: YES

SLI or Crossfire: Yes - (dual for original build expandable to quad) - this is my first mufti-GPU build - (which One is best for criteria?) would like to have the latest chipset of either

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (3 to 4 monitors)

Additional Comments: there are 2 mobos in the wish list build and i have not decided which one to use yet, but i believe either one is capable of driving a dual board configuration of either technology... i am not sure what games i will be playing... i have read through some Adobe threads and they seem to favor GTX for one reason or another...

Complete electrical build Wish list:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Thank you for taking the time to read this and i hope to get several informed responses regarding the best graphics configuration for this build- cr
June 16, 2012 6:56:32 PM

I would get an Nvidia based GPU as it seems to have better drivers than AMD.

I would recommend GTX 670 in SLI or a single GTX 690.
Score
June 16, 2012 7:07:21 PM

SmegGaming said:
I would get an Nvidia based GPU as it seems to have better drivers than AMD.

I would recommend GTX 670 in SLI or a single GTX 690.

What about the 690 in SLI?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

June 17, 2012 1:12:44 PM

Pretty big overkill tbh. The 690 is pretty much GTX 680's in SLI but in a single GPU.
However, if you have the money, I don't see why not.
June 17, 2012 1:44:13 PM

SmegGaming said:
Pretty big overkill tbh. The 690 is pretty much GTX 680's in SLI but in a single GPU.
However, if you have the money, I don't see why not.

Thank you -

cr
Score
June 17, 2012 1:44:32 PM

Best answer selected by crains.
Score
!