Help me build a PC for my 9 years old nephew

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Before September 12th

Budget Range: Anything, money is not a problem.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Web surfing.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: NO

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anywhere.

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU only.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1980 x 1080

Additional Comments: This PC is going to be built by my 9 years old nephew (i will help him) so it needs to be really easy to build because i want him to do the most part, i dont mind buying a Full tower case so he can have more space for building it.

Hello everyone, my nephew turns 10 on september 12th and since his stupid dad (my brother) wont let him have a xbox 360 because his grades arent very good i will buy him a gaming PC wich i intend to build with him.

Money is not a problem, i would mind spending 5000$ on a PC and buy him a few monitors but because this is going to be his first computer i want to buy him something simple, powerfull and easy to build.

I need EVERYTHING (Except the OS) that means i need Keyboard, mouse (i already bought him a home teather) a voltage regulator....Everything.

I need special help in picking a keyboard a mouse and all the peripherals you can think of (racing wheel, gaming chair, etc)

this is what i was planning to buy:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($539.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Whisper ATX Full Tower Case ($139.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1414.94

*I know the SSD is overkill but he is not going to store a lot of things so i guess that 512GB should be more than enough.

I still need help finding a good monitor, mouse, keyboard, racing wheel, gaming chair, voltage regulator with a UPS, network card(killer 2100, maybe?), headset lighting system (blue),sound card (i know the onboard one is enough but the home teather i bought him has a lot of potential and i want to exploit it)

Any help will be really apreciated

Solution
Now I question why a 10yr old is playing games like COD... Not like MW3 is rated for 17+ or anything.

Quite simply, you cant buy any individual components based on ease of installation because they are all the same. They all plug in the same way and have the same shape. Only real place where this is applicable is the CPU heatsink, which was complicated enough for me to read the manual (the 212 EVO is an easy cooler to use, still complicated though), I suspect you will have to do that bit.

A GTX670 by Gigabyte or ASUS is what I would recommend. Though if multiple monitor gaming is a possibility (which you could probably fit in your budget), a HD7970 from those manufacturers would be a better bet.

You could wait for the 660ti, but if...
Quite simply this is very overkill (hell, its better than my PC and this is my area of interest), I just highly doubt that a 10yr old will be playing games of such caliber. By the time he would, the hardware will be outdated. I don't think he will even know the difference between this and a budget machine.

And your requirements are quite specific (easy to put together), computer components are equally as hard to put together as another. You cant buy custom graphics cards with big handles and guiding rails for easy installation (no offense to your nephew).

I would just get a large flashy case, throw in the AsRock extreme4, 3570k and a 560ti/HD7850 if you want something a bit better than integrated. Connect some good peripherals (Razer Deathadder mouse, some non-Razer keyboard) and a 1080p monitor. That should easily be enough.

I just think that a 10yr old just wouldn't know what to do with this kind of hardware, or even have the ability to exploit it.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

*i dont mind buying an overkill system for him, i love that little guy but i just want him to play games confortably, he will play games like COD (he loves COD) BF3 and games like that, and he is actually very good!

*i will be helping him so he will not break any part by mistake but almost every GPU is big so what would you recomend?

*Oh boy...trust me, that kid isnt normal, he is smarter than me... he will be gaming like a pro in no time so i am sure he could exploit that PC, anyways, i tought the GTX560ti wasnt good now that the 7850 is out, or should i wait for the GTX660ti?

*Do you have any recomendations for a sound card, network card(optional) keyboard, headset, wheel and chair? btw... i saw the mouse you recomended, it looks very cool, i am sure he will love it!

Now I question why a 10yr old is playing games like COD... Not like MW3 is rated for 17+ or anything.

Quite simply, you cant buy any individual components based on ease of installation because they are all the same. They all plug in the same way and have the same shape. Only real place where this is applicable is the CPU heatsink, which was complicated enough for me to read the manual (the 212 EVO is an easy cooler to use, still complicated though), I suspect you will have to do that bit.

A GTX670 by Gigabyte or ASUS is what I would recommend. Though if multiple monitor gaming is a possibility (which you could probably fit in your budget), a HD7970 from those manufacturers would be a better bet.

You could wait for the 660ti, but if rumors are true it will cost around the same as a 670 at release, so I would just get the stronger card.

Sound cards are mostly pointless as on-board sound is fine, unless the surround you got him is massive and top-notch stuff, you wouldn't need one. I dont keep up with them so I don't know what to recommend.
With any internet connection, the bottleneck is your providers speed, very rarely is it the hardware you have. You dont need a NIC.
Razer Carcharias is the headset I'm using, no doubt there's better, but its served me fine over last 3-4yrs.
Wheel and chair I have no idea.

Solution

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

*Naah, you havent played COD in console, right? there a bunch of 12 years old kids in there, besides my nephew is really smart and VERY mature.

*Yep, i guess i will have to install the heatskin

*I could fit triple monitors with no problem but i've to see what my brother and his wife thinks about it (They dont know i am buying a PC for him) and if they are ok with that i will add a second GTX 670 (or 7970, what do you think) and the other 2 monitors

*Yep, the surround system i bought him is the same one i use, a 7.1 top of the line ONKYO HT-S9400THX so i think he should be ok with one of those Xonar sound cards

*No NIC then...

*Keyboard: Logitech G19 maybe? thats the one i have so idk :/

*As for the Headset i think a Corsair 1500 will be enough, i dont want to buy something too big that will weight more than his head

*i am not sure if he likes racing games so i am not going to buy him the chair and wheel, maybe later if he wants it

Thank you very much for your help

TRENDING THREADS