Photo editing build under $900

jt8935

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
this computer is being build for a friend but seeing that they have know knowledge of old computer spec I do not know what is actually required for power on the cpu compared to gpu for photo editing. I am hoping someone can tell me if i need to be going for a balance of the two or if it is more gpu heavy. i have speced out a build below but do not have my heart set on anything other than trying to keep the budget as low as possible.

Approximate Purchase Date: some time in the next 7 days

Budget Range: ($800-$900) After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: photo editing and light gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: everything

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

Additional Comments: will be using cs6 for photo editing and for gaming older titles not gpu intensive. the monitor will be upgraded down the road. a multi card reader will also be installed.

Why Are You Upgrading: old computer was given away

hard drive
Samsung-Spinpoint-3-5-Inch-Internal

power supply
Corsair Builder Series CX600

memory
Corsair Vengeance

cpu
i5-3570k

motherboard
asus P8Z77-v LX

graphics card

asus gtx550 ti

drive
sony DVD drive

case
cooler master haf 912

thanks for any input that may help

malbluff

Honorable
Photo editing is all about number crunching, so CPU tends to be more important than GPU. The choice of GPU becomes more important with video editing, especially in HD. Unless he changes monitor, he wouldn't be able to work in HD, so the choices of CPU and GPU would be ok. Adobe can make use of hyperthreading, so if the budget will stretch to i7, it will be faster. He could probably do with more storage @ 6Gb/s, but again that's down to budget. You could agrue about exact choice of PSU, but size is more than adequate and probably sensible, to allow a bit for any upgrades.

For editing on a tight budget, I suggest the FX-8150 (Duck and cover! Flame-war inbound!). Despite its weaker performance compared to an i7, its cheaper than an i5 and is close to an i7 for multithreaded performance. With any luck Piledriver will be what Bulldozer should have been and you will have an easy upgrade, Intel is changing sockets next architecture.
AMD FX-8150. $190
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960

With any 970 mobo.
AsRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+. $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

jt8935

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
thanks for the help as for the overclocking i am looking to overclock after a year or so. I am giving a longer life to the components since the computer will run 24 hours a day. I have also now been told that they will spend the extra for an entry level i7 but nothing nothing more. My only other concern is if I am overclocking is the mother board chosen suitable for it most builds I do are gaming related so I have no experience with this board. A side note I am using a hyper 212 for cooling when the overclock dose occur.