Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Fan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2012 7:09:02 PM

Hello,
First time builder here and I have a GeForce GTX 560 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and when it is on my motherboard, connected to a monitor and Powersupply, and I try to dry run it all that happens is the fan goes on for a second and then nothing else happens. Nothing is displayed. I have checked that everything is connected and I tried using different cables and nothing works. I was hoping that some of you guys could help me out. Just tell me What I'm doing wrong.
This is the Motherboard and the Power Supply.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : graphics card fan

June 16, 2012 9:56:50 PM

Did you connect both PCI-E power cables?
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 17, 2012 12:24:37 AM

You might have to disable the integrated GPU in order for the card to be seen by your rig. You can do it in the Bios or the device manager under display adapters.

You did say you hook the 6 pin connectors from the PSU to your GPU? And you do have the cable from the monitor to the card and not the on board GPU? Get back to us and good luck.
m
l
Related resources
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 400 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 3:56:55 AM

Do the other fans in the system behave in the same manner, or just the graphic card's fan?
m
l
June 24, 2012 12:35:01 AM

This is a completely new Rig right now so i don't even have the motherboard in the case.
I have everything connected but the new problem is that no matter what Cords i Use on the monitor is always says "VGA No Signal" or sometimes "DVI No Signal"
I have all the cords plugged in. I have tried only using the VGA with a DVI adapter to connect to my Graphics Card. "VGA No Signal." I tried only using the DVI. "VGA No Signal." I tried using both at the same time "VGA No Siganl." The DVI No Signal came up sporadically also.
m
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 400 V Motherboard
June 24, 2012 2:11:49 AM

If you have CPU/Cooler, Memory, graphics card, and the necessary PSU cables connected... I'd say bad motherboard. If you're breadboarding it outside the case, be sure the graphics card is securely in the slot. I assume the monitor works.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 3:41:49 AM

Does it work with the integrated GPU? I mean hook up your monitor to your integrated GPU and take out your 560 and boot up. If that works then you know your monitor is working and for the most part your MOBO is to.

If it does work then in the bios disable your integrated GPU shut down put your card back in and reboot. If nothing works then like said above MOBO might have issues or your card. Let us know what you have tried. Good luck.
m
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 400 V Motherboard
June 24, 2012 3:47:59 AM

@DM186
His board doesn't have integrated video. (See above)
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 4:29:25 AM

clutchc said:
@DM186
His board doesn't have integrated video. (See above)

Yeah your right my bad I think I better call it a day my eyes are playing tricks and thanks for pointing that out.

@OP sorry disreguard what I said abut integrated GPU. And Good Luck.
m
l
June 24, 2012 4:09:45 PM

Could it be a problem with my RAM?
Just trying to think of what it could be.
I don't think the motherboard is bad because lights still come up on it unless its a problem with just the Graphics Card slot.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 12:56:49 AM

Try one stick at a time and run memtest86+ to check your ram. I will link you to it.

http://www.memtest.org/

EDIT: One more thing you have everything out of the case right? is your MOBO bottom side touching anything at all? And me being a electrician you have to have a proper ground meaning that in the case would be grounded to the PSU. Just a thought and it works that way in low voltage.
m
l
June 25, 2012 2:34:07 AM

DM186 said:
Try one stick at a time and run memtest86+ to check your ram. I will link you to it.

http://www.memtest.org/

EDIT: One more thing you have everything out of the case right? is your MOBO bottom side touching anything at all? And me being a electrician you have to have a proper ground meaning that in the case would be grounded to the PSU. Just a thought and it works that way in low voltage.

I just have it touching some cardboard that is resting on a metal surface.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 26, 2012 3:03:33 AM

Cardboard is a good insulator for low voltage. Are you sure your monitor is good? Ok the only other thing to do is find out if your card is good by putting it into another rig to make sure it is not the card.

Same thing with the monitor. If both of those turn out good then it could be the CPU, MOBO, and the PSU. To check your PSU either get a volt meter or put your PSU into another rig and see what happens.

The CPU will be hard because you just can't pop them into another rig. Now the MOBO you could put a card that you know for sure that works and see if you get anything on the monitor.

Is your hard drive good? Do the swap thing with it as well if you can on any of your hardwear do the same. It is a process of a elimination. So let us know what is going on and we will go from there and good luck.
m
l
June 27, 2012 1:47:19 AM

Okay the only other computer i Could possibly use is a laptop and I am really not willing to take that apart.
I could easily test the monitor on that in fact i will in a moment.
I believe the motherboard is working because many of the lights are working on it, unless the part where the graphics card goes is broken. I don't really have another card to put in. (First time builder remember?).
I don't have a hard drive connected right now because i am just trying to test the motherboard and everything on it right now.

EDIT: Okay so the monitor is working on the PC using a VGA cable.
And I just thought of something could it be a problem that the monitor doesn't pick up the graphics card because there isn't Windows 7?
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 3:54:30 AM

I have herd both that you need a OS in order to get set up and I also herd that no you don't the Bios should lite up with out a OS. I haven' given that much thought. Is there a hard drive you could try?

With or with out OS on it? I am going to find out about that question.
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:09:09 PM

When building the PC this was the guide I was following (By Newegg)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls&feature=play...
In it they do not use a hard drive so I believe something should be coming up.
Back to the RAM is there any way I could test it to see if its compatible with the motherboard?
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 1:57:03 AM

The only way to test it is in another rig like a friends. Because if can't get the bios to lite up and for that I don't know even if you need RAM to do that as well. The only way to test ram is.

In another rig, If you have screen then do the one stick at a time or run memtest86+ program. Those are you only choices. You can try with out the ram and one stick at a time to see if you get anything.

But since you don't have integrated on that MOBO there just isn't much choices. You must make sure the card is good or if you know someone you has a card to try on your MOVO.

Or you try your card on someone eles's rig. Your MOBO is a very nice one so I hope it isn't bad. You are only left with just a few options. And you need to rule those out. I will link you to this it migh help. Good luck

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
m
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 400 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 6:39:04 PM

Even with no O/S installed, the monitor should display the boot-up screen. And you should be able to boot into BIOS. As far as the grounding, the power supply will continue the case ground through to the chassis ground for the board. As long as your motherboard is sitting on an electrically non-conductive surface, you will be fine for breadboarding.

It sounds to me like the card is bad or the board. If you have another card to test with, you can find out which one it is. Just because some lights operate on the board, means nothing.
m
l
June 28, 2012 7:32:28 PM

If there was a bad RAM what would happen?
What would come up or not come up?
m
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 400 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 9:53:29 PM

MickalV said:
If there was a bad RAM what would happen?
What would come up or not come up?

You won't get far enough to POST without RAM. But you should get some beeps. Are you getting any beeps now? 1 beep is normal OK indication for most boards.

From your discription, it still appears to be a motherboard issue. Bad boards are not all that unusual. They contain the most components.
m
l
June 29, 2012 12:42:18 AM

clutchc said:
You won't get far enough to POST without RAM. But you should get some beeps. Are you getting any beeps now? 1 beep is normal OK indication for most boards.

From your discription, it still appears to be a motherboard issue. Bad boards are not all that unusual. They contain the most components.

Oh, wait I am not using that computer right now, if that wasn't clear I'm sorry. I'm using a laptop right now. I have the mobo, PSU, and monitor for the computer that I am talking about to the left of me.

And also I am not getting any beeps but I don't have one of those small speaker things connected
m
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 400 V Motherboard
June 29, 2012 12:56:12 AM

MickalV said:
Oh, wait I am not using that computer right now, if that wasn't clear I'm sorry. I'm using a laptop right now. I have the mobo, PSU, and monitor for the computer that I am talking about to the left of me.

And also I am not getting any beeps but I don't have one of those small speaker things connected

LOL... no, I kinda already figured out that you weren't on the computer that wasn't working. If your case didn't come with a motherboard speaker, you should get one. The beep code will give some indication as to where the problem lies. Without the little speaker, you won't know if the board is sending an OK, or if it is sending an error code.

The fact that the motherboard starts the CPU fan and then it stop, is a good indication that the problem is in the board.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 1:02:58 AM

That sounds about right to me which it is the card or your MOBO. To rule out your card you should find a friend or family member and try your card on there rig and if it works then it is the MOBO.

If it is the MOBO then if you just bought it get a RMA on it and get a new MOBO.
m
l
June 29, 2012 1:55:44 AM

Yea I have the speaker in right now ( I just found it) and there are no beeps at all.
None.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 3:38:57 AM

Well that could be a good sign that the MOBO is good. But you still need to check your card. Did you try one stick of RAM at a time? You do have the speaker hook up in the right spot? I had to ask just in case.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 4:04:26 AM

Your motherboard has a series of LED lights and a digit LED display that will tell you a huge amount of information about the state of the motherboard even if you can't use your display. Read pages 2-20 to 2-25 of the manual. The 2 digit Q code should be particularly helpful. Ideally it will run rapidly through a series of codes and then stop on one...try to record the whole list of codes (or as many as possible...many will flash by too fast to read). If you need help interpreting, post the code you get here.
m
l
June 29, 2012 2:32:52 PM

Temile said:
Your motherboard has a series of LED lights and a digit LED display that will tell you a huge amount of information about the state of the motherboard even if you can't use your display. Read pages 2-20 to 2-25 of the manual. The 2 digit Q code should be particularly helpful. Ideally it will run rapidly through a series of codes and then stop on one...try to record the whole list of codes (or as many as possible...many will flash by too fast to read). If you need help interpreting, post the code you get here.

No numbers are coming up at all.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 2:48:33 PM

Pull everything off the motherboard except the cpu (but including the memory and video card) and try again. If you still get nothing, the motherboard is either not getting power or its bad.

If you do get some life out of the motherboard, add the memory back in and try again. Then add other components. At each stage the motherboard will fail to boot but you should get a 2 digit code that makes sense (like "Missing video card").
m
l
June 29, 2012 8:14:11 PM

Temile said:
Pull everything off the motherboard except the cpu (but including the memory and video card) and try again. If you still get nothing, the motherboard is either not getting power or its bad.

If you do get some life out of the motherboard, add the memory back in and try again. Then add other components. At each stage the motherboard will fail to boot but you should get a 2 digit code that makes sense (like "Missing video card").

Yeah even with everything off except the CPU and Fan no numbers are coming up.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2012 9:23:54 PM

This might be a random question, but have you plugged in the auxiliary 8-pin power connector above the highest heatsink on your motherboard?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 9:48:02 PM

Take a picture of the set up? At this stage you should have two cables running from your psu to the motherboard--the main one and the cpu cable. Make sure both connections are tight. Do any of the colored leds on the motherboard light up? You said a fan comes on? Was that on the video card?
m
l
June 30, 2012 1:24:39 AM

Deemo13 said:
This might be a random question, but have you plugged in the auxiliary 8-pin power connector above the highest heatsink on your motherboard?

YOU ARE A SAINT AND DESERVE ONE INTERNET.
So now the VGA No Signal message is gone and saying a few other things these:

AMIBIOS(C)2011 American Megatrends, INC.

ASUS P9X79 PRO ACPI BIOS Revision 0906
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720 CPU @ 3.69Ghz
Speed: 3600MHz

Total Memory: 4096MB (DDR3-1600)

USB Devices total: 0 Drive, 0 keyboard, 0 mouse, 4 Hubs

New CPU installed! Please enter Setup to configure your system.
CPU Fan Error!
NO Keyboard Detected!
Press F1 to Run SETUP

Let me run it again to see the Number Codes that pop up.

EDIT: Also Temile deserves one Internet, he had the same advice
Also the Beep sound from the Speaker goes once and then after a second it goes for a few times like this: beeeeep beep beep beep beeeep beep
these are the Keys that come up:
E0
A0 Stays up after the rest of them and never goes away.
There are more but I can't really see most of them, I'll keep on trying though.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 1:48:04 AM

Well that is all kinda of good but all the beeps and numbers what does that tell you? If you would have read what I posted a few days ago you would have figured it out then. But you didn't and the bottom line is you are up and running and that part is good.

Quote:
The only way to test it is in another rig like a friends. Because if can't get the bios to lite up and for that I don't know even if you need RAM to do that as well. The only way to test ram is.

In another rig, If you have screen then do the one stick at a time or run memtest86+ program. Those are you only choices. You can try with out the ram and one stick at a time to see if you get anything.

But since you don't have integrated on that MOBO there just isn't much choices. You must make sure the card is good or if you know someone you has a card to try on your MOVO.

Or you try your card on someone eles's rig. Your MOBO is a very nice one so I hope it isn't bad. You are only left with just a few options. And you need to rule those out. I will link you to this it migh help. Good luck

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] o-problems
m
l
June 30, 2012 4:15:32 AM

DM186 said:
Well that is all kinda of good but all the beeps and numbers what does that tell you? If you would have read what I posted a few days ago you would have figured it out then. But you didn't and the bottom line is you are up and running and that part is good.

Quote:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] o-problems

The edit was mostly for Temile, he asked me about them.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 4:36:10 AM

Well I don't get what you mean but the fact remains the same no matter how you got here to the end, you were able to get up and running and that is the most important thing and I am glad for you.

Now you need to figure out the beeps and the codes.I hope they don't mean something bad. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Cheers
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 6:37:34 AM

Yea, the most important thing is that it works, and as far as we know nothing major is broken. Glad I could help!

Some motherboards though wont boot without having the CPU fan connector in the right CPU fan designated connector. Only on some though.
m
l
June 30, 2012 6:00:32 PM

So ignoring the codes and beeps does this mean that I can start putting everything in my case? Connecting the final things?
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 7:00:30 PM

Well, some motherboards might not even allow you to boot if the CPU fan is not on the dedicated fan connector. The motherboard likes to be able to know that the CPU fan is actually cooling the CPU. Some motherboards throw a fit about it, others dont really care all that much. Not sure how yours will work out, but before you start building and stuff I would go into the BIOS for a few seconds and configure and check stuff. Make sure there are no errors or what not.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 7:42:16 PM

Read your motherboard manual. I can't overemphasize how important this is. I've built dozens of computers and I still read the manual before installation. The manual will tell you what cables to connect and in which order and how to read the codes on the LEDs, the colored light LEDs that tell you other information and what the beep codes mean. Go look A0 right now: it's on page 2-24 of your manual. It says "IDE Initialization is started" and in geek speak it means its looking for a hard disk so it can boot Windows, but you haven't installed a hard disk yet. Look up the rest of the codes, its interesting and will tell you good things like: 31 means your memory is installed.
m
l
June 30, 2012 7:43:18 PM

Deemo13 said:
Well, some motherboards might not even allow you to boot if the CPU fan is not on the dedicated fan connector. The motherboard likes to be able to know that the CPU fan is actually cooling the CPU. Some motherboards throw a fit about it, others dont really care all that much. Not sure how yours will work out, but before you start building and stuff I would go into the BIOS for a few seconds and configure and check stuff. Make sure there are no errors or what not.

http://cdnsupport.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/4006245R/4006245R_19.jpg

Well I do already have a CPU Fan connected and it is running fine.
So back to the other question can I start putting it in the case and connecting other things?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 7:56:10 PM

Yes. Continue building. Is the fan spinning? If it is, continue building and worry about it (if at all later). ASUS has fan detection in the bios that warns if it thinks your fans are spinning too slowly. The default setting is 1000RPM, and it gives this warning if it thinks the fans are slower than that. Some coolers (like mine) spin much slower than that, and some fans don't report their RPM correctly. You can set this in the BIOS later (see page 3-37 in the manual): for the moment if the fans are spinning, read your motherboard manual and keep building.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 8:18:30 PM

Yea you could just keep going on the building, and worry about the minor problems later.
m
l
July 1, 2012 3:52:30 PM

I am just wondering now but does anybody know what the beeps mean? On the newegg computer building video the guy only got one beep and I am just wondering what multiple beeps mean.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 4:10:37 PM

Did you look in your manual? Did you search for "Beep Codes" on the Internet? I don't mind answering your questions, but you will proceed much more quickly if you don't have to post everything question here and wait for the answer.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2012 10:26:17 PM

Usually the beeps are going to be online or in the manual for the motherboard. If you dont have the manual for the motherboard, more often than not its online.
m
l
July 5, 2012 1:35:24 AM

Hey guys I'm back. I would like to say thank you so much for all the help you guys have given me for my last problem and the computer was up and running for a few days.

But I say "was" because now I have another problem. After I installed some drivers for my computer and I restarted and after it was done with the "Starting Windows" screen it would just go black. Nothing else would happen. I think this may be because I installed the wrong drivers and I was wondering if you guys could tell me how to uninstall those drivers within the BIOS or some other way.
Thanks.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 3:46:03 AM

The only way to do it is with a driver sweeper or wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything. If I was on my rig and not my laptop I would be able to link you to a driver sweeper.

Just type driver sweeper in the serch box and it will bring up all kinds of them. Good luck.
m
l
July 5, 2012 6:06:28 PM

DM186 said:
The only way to do it is with a driver sweeper or wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything. If I was on my rig and not my laptop I would be able to link you to a driver sweeper.

Just type driver sweeper in the serch box and it will bring up all kinds of them. Good luck.

Well right now I can't even get a screen. It's all black.
Right now I will try to take out my current graphics card and use the integrated one to get rid of the drivers, i hope this works.
m
l
July 5, 2012 7:50:21 PM

Well I somehow got it to work and once I removed the "bad" drivers everything screwed up I tried to install the old drivers from a disc and realized they were for Windows Vista, so I uninstalled those but then things got messed up so i reinstalled drivers off the internet and now I am restarting my computer. God I hope this works.
m
l
!