Sign in with
Your question

Is my 600w PSU powerful enough?

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2012 6:23:52 AM

I have many speculations. I feel like it might be the monitor, the PSU, the GPU, the mobo. I really don't want to rob my system of potential and i don't want to ruin the components.

I rock
Mobo: ASRock Z77E-ITX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
CPU: i5 2400
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 (currently in RMA because i felt it was broke)
Ram: G SKILL 8GB
Monitor: 1 x Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers
Case: Nzxt phantom with 5 fans (top, 3 side, one back)

I am very paranoid atm wondering if i made wrong choices and if my performance in GW2 will suffer because of it. I had high frame rates and all, cool temperatures maxed out the card was fantastic. Till it became loud and then stopped working with the monitor. Could i be missing something? :( 

More about : 600w psu powerful

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2012 7:16:19 AM

why are you usin a miini-ITX motherboard in a full tower case?

use a proper ATX motherboard

what RAM are you using? Models are important . Lets have a link so we can help
m
l
August 7, 2012 7:28:01 AM

Outlander_04 said:
why are you usin a miini-ITX motherboard in a full tower case?

use a proper ATX motherboard

what RAM are you using? Models are important . Lets have a link so we can help

idk ;-;.. and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 B Homebuilt system
a c 91 C Monitor
August 7, 2012 7:30:26 AM

The PSU would have been a better thing to list than the monitor that doesn't even run off it.

600W should be enough to run it, though without the actual PSU specifications, we dont know if that wattage is an outright lie (I have a generic that claims 550W, only 260W in the 12v rail. They included the other rails to inflate the overall wattage).

Here's a quick guide on how to decide whether to upgrade the PSU or not.

1. If its a generic, throw it out on general principle. Buy something proper.

2. Is the PSU sufficient? Research the max draw from the CPU and GPU/s and check it to the 12v rail (Voltage x Amps = Wattage). If you have +100W of headroom, should be fine.

3. If its from a good brand, but is 4-6+yrs old, throw it out and get a new PSU. Repeat step 2 on the new PSU.

4. If its new and from a good brand, should be fine.
m
l
August 7, 2012 7:37:27 AM

manofchalk said:
The PSU would have been a better thing to list than the monitor that doesn't even run off it.

600W should be enough to run it, though without the actual PSU specifications, we dont know if that wattage is an outright lie (I have a generic that claims 550W, only 260W in the 12v rail. They included the other rails to inflate the overall wattage).

Here's a quick guide on how to decide whether to upgrade the PSU or not.

1. If its a generic, throw it out on general principle. Buy something proper.

2. Is the PSU sufficient? Research the max draw from the CPU and GPU/s and check it to the 12v rail (Voltage x Amps = Wattage). If you have +100W of headroom, should be fine.

3. If its from a good brand, but is 4-6+yrs old, throw it out and get a new PSU. Repeat step 2 on the new PSU.

4. If its new and from a good brand, should be fine.

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply is my PSU idk if my motherboard being a mini has anything to do with it or the PSU is too weak or both
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2012 7:38:35 AM

Can you please take a picture of the inside of your case? that mini ITX board must sure look funny in a full tower case.

But on topic do what manofchalk suggests.

Edit: yeah that corsair unit will run it no problem (unless its defective but we don't really know until you get the card back from the manufacturers)
m
l
a c 91 C Monitor
August 7, 2012 7:46:01 AM

Corsair is a decent brand, and the PSU can provide 480W through the 12V (shouldn't be called a 600W). But its sufficient for the hardware you have unless its defective or very old.
m
l
August 7, 2012 7:48:29 AM

mouse24 said:
Can you please take a picture of the inside of your case? that mini ITX board must sure look funny in a full tower case.

But on topic do what manofchalk suggests.

Edit: yeah that corsair unit will run it no problem (unless its defective but we don't really know until you get the card back from the manufacturers)

well of course it looks a little off but its my first build i didn't exactly know 100% lol ;(. I guess the size is the only problem and nothing major? Sending the mobo back would make me / cry but i would if i had too. Well i played games on the card for a couple weeks. Sempt like my frames and performance in maxed settings were... well what i paid for but how do i know for sure.
m
l
August 7, 2012 7:51:30 AM

manofchalk said:
Corsair is a decent brand, and the PSU can provide 480W through the 12V (shouldn't be called a 600W). But its sufficient for the hardware you have unless its defective or very old.

hehe i really appreciate the help i'm a total newb when it comes to this. I will try it when i get the replacement card. The PSU is brand new been usin it for 2 weeks so idk about old and defective? I mean it runs the computer XD. What do you think is the best brand of PSU out there?
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2012 7:54:22 AM

What sort of issues were you having with the card that required you to send it back?

Something like the pc turning off sporadically could be a PSU issue for instance.
m
l
a c 91 C Monitor
August 7, 2012 7:56:06 AM

Well by decent I mean very good. Only better brand you could get is Seasonic. If its new it should be fine. And defective PSU's have a tendency to not turn on, so I guess it works.
m
l
August 7, 2012 8:00:14 AM

manofchalk said:
Well by decent I mean very good. Only better brand you could get is Seasonic. If its new it should be fine. And defective PSU's have a tendency to not turn on, so I guess it works.

rofl i know right i was like well how do i find if its defective if it... works LOL and decent i thought you meant like OK so i was like ;(. I see sea sonic are nice but expensive. I guess the higher wattage the higher the price. Was considering 700w but dont feel like RMA the power supply
m
l
August 7, 2012 8:01:35 AM

mouse24 said:
What sort of issues were you having with the card that required you to send it back?

Something like the pc turning off sporadically could be a PSU issue for instance.

It was the recent issue that made me send it back, the whole not recognizing my monitor. My laptop was able to yesterday so it couldn't be the monitor. The monitor wouldn't just STOP working i would think. It had a loud ass coil wine idk for sure what that was about. I just felt like it was broke. I mean it heated fine and the FPS from what i could tell were great. Not being able to use the monitor though? That's a pretty big issue to me
m
l
!