Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need CPU upgrading advice

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 22, 2012 6:28:33 AM

I recently bought a Galaxy GTX 650 Ti and realized my cpu is now limiting my performance in most games :/ 
So I would like to know which cpu will fit best my system and give me the most performance for the lowest price(I don't need to game at 1080p with ultra & 16xAA etc) i just want a cpu that matches somehow my card.

my specs:

CPU(current): Pentium E5700 dual core @3.0GHZ
GPU: Galaxy gtx 650 Ti
Mobo: Intel g41 express chipset P49G by PChips (LGA775 socket)
RAM: 4Gb DDR3
PSU: ATX-500w-PIV
HDD: 500gb Barracuda 7200RPM
DISPLAY: 32inches Sony bravia 720p HD TV (using a VGA to DVI adapter)
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 32bits

Thanks in advance :) 

For more info read my previous thread(already closed) here on Tom's hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/383593-33-performance...

More about : cpu upgrading advice

December 22, 2012 7:14:37 AM

Get a Core i3 3rd Gen CPU or AMD FX 4170. They both costs around $130
m
0
l
December 22, 2012 7:21:07 AM

Socket 775 (your socket) isn't worth upgrading anymore due the prices of obselete technology imho.
If you still insist on going 775, you could opt for a Q6600 which would get you fairly decent gaming performance (heaps of benchmarks around). These sell for around $50 on ebay, don't think they retail it brand new anymore

m
0
l
Related resources
December 22, 2012 7:49:39 AM

Dartz said:
Get a Core i3 3rd Gen CPU or AMD FX 4170. They both costs around $130


Will those work on my 775 socket/current mobo?
m
0
l
December 22, 2012 7:54:01 AM

professorturtle said:
Socket 775 (your socket) isn't worth upgrading anymore due the prices of obselete technology imho.
If you still insist on going 775, you could opt for a Q6600 which would get you fairly decent gaming performance (heaps of benchmarks around). These sell for around $50 on ebay, don't think they retail it brand new anymore


$200 bucks seems alot for that cpu(new) :/  Is it worth it to get a used one for 60-80 bucks on amazon? mainly because I already have a good fan/heatsink.
Also what about a used Q9400?

Which mobo/cpu combination would you recommend? It would be awesome if the motherboard features the same size/outputs etc as my old one because I won't have enough cash to get a new case.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2012 9:58:35 AM

You could try for a cheaper core 2 duo E8400 and better cpu cooler and overclock the crap out of it if your board can handle it
m
0
l
December 22, 2012 10:17:59 AM

kitsunestarwind said:
You could try for a cheaper core 2 duo E8400 and better cpu cooler and overclock the crap out of it if your board can handle it


Isn't that a dual core @3.0Ghz just like the one i already have?
I prefer not to OC atm (had some bad results in the past) plus I don't want to upgrade my psu just yet.

Now I'm curious about which LGA 775 cpu will fit my system the best (I don't mind getting a used one)
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 11:09:20 AM

sprix said:
Isn't that a dual core @3.0Ghz just like the one i already have?
I prefer not to OC atm (had some bad results in the past) plus I don't want to upgrade my psu just yet.

Now I'm curious about which LGA 775 cpu will fit my system the best (I don't mind getting a used one)


Like I said earlier, get a Q6600 if you don't mind getting one used :kaola:  . Ebay sells these from around $35-60 (used).
It's a damn good LGA775 cpu for gaming and things of that sort. Plus with the quad power - it does a great job.
m
0
l
!