Radeon 6770 Hannspree HF237 display border/poor quality HDMI

Robert_Ragequit

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Okay, first time posting here. Usually I am pretty good with computers, not super knowledgeable, but I know more than an average user. My current PC setup that I recently built myself is as follows:

Asus M5A97 Mobo
AMD FX 4100 Quad-Core CPU
8GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 RAM (2 x 4GB)
XFX ATI Radeon 6770 1GB GDDR 5 Video Card
OCZ ZS Series 750W PSU
500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD (Yeah I know it sucks, upgrading it later)
Hannspree HF237 Monitor connected via HDMI with a res of 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz

Now the issue is I have a very annoying border around the edge of my screen. The image from my PC is not filling in the whole monitor and while video and games look good, text and icons are very "poor quality." It looks slightly blurry with a hint of pixelation. Now I have tried using the scaling option in ATI's CCC but it still doesn't scale properly. Vertical and horizontal scales differently when I use the scaling option and that doesn't seem to fix the text or icon issue. When I change the refresh rate to 75Hz it fixes the "quality" issue but drops my resolution down to 1280 x 1024 which then fills the whole screen. ALL of my drivers are installed and up to date. Hell I even made sure my gaming peripheral drivers were installed and up to date. It is not a driver issue. This is a hardware issue as far as my knowledge leads me to believe.

Also when I boot up the PC with a VGA cable installed instead of an HDMI cable, no problems at all. Nothing. 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz with good looking text and it "fills" the whole screen with no border. This is just a frustratingly curious mission I have gotten involved with. I just want to know why HDMI blows on my setup compared to VGA. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!