Will a GTX 570 leave enogh clearnance for sata plugs?

mace200200

Honorable
I think I want to buy a GTX 570, the only problem is that since it's 10 inches long I think its going to cover many if not all of my SATA ports. Will the card be high enough off of them that it'll leave enough room for everything to be plugged in underneath it (the card), or do i need to upgrade my board first (it is an old board but it still runs strong! so I thought I would probably upgrade that last)

This is what my board looks like: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2859#ov
and this is the exact gpu i was looking at: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7040151&Sku=E145-0570

Thanks for helping me out once again :)

Solution
Yes and no.Whenever the GPU doesn't have enough VRAM to display a frame it looks towards the system RAM.Since RAM is nearly 3 times slower(more like 5 times with the new cards)than VRAM it can actually have a negative affect.They are basically the same thing only that VRAM is much much faster.Which is why it's bad to have a GPU run off of RAM.

For playing SC you'll only need about 1GB of VRAM.Having more VRAM won't really grant you a increase in performance.But it is futreproofing to get a card like that because as time goes on more and more games are starting to require more than 1GB of VRAM.

It's a math equation.To find out the watts on the +12/v rail you take how ever many amps are provided and multiply by 12.You then get how many...
Being as it's a micro-atx board i'm pretty sure it would cover up all of those ports.I have my doubts that a angled connector will work but you could give it a try.Just be sure to put the connector in before the card.

Physical Spec
Form Factor
Micro ATX
Dimensions
9.6" x 9.6"

Your mobo is 9.6 inches long so the card will be longer than the mobo.Now you need to worry about the size your case.

What is the make/model of your PSU?

What CPU are you using?

What is the make/model of your 750 watt PSU?

Alright it should fit.You'll just have to worry about those SATA connections.Their should be a .25" gap from the card to those connections so it could work but you'll have to try it to know for sure.

That CPU will bottleneck a GTX570.You'll have to O.C. it to lessen the bottleneck.

mace200200

Honorable

Some people say it bottle necks, many say it doesn't at all. I think it might actually come down to RAM speed. I'm gonna find out. I'd oc to 3.2 or so but my gpu sucks so bad right now it wouldn't do anything at all for me.
I also i did find a similiar question on here and the guy had pictures with the sata cables plugged in underneath, his gpu was a 260 i think but I take that as a good sign.

This is my PSU btw: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276573

It actually comes down to what type of game your playing.A more CPU intensive game will make the bottleneck more apparent.Still it will be a huge improvement.May I suggest though that you go for the 7850.It's just as fast as the GTX570 and can be faster when O.C.'d but the most important thing is that it consumes nearly 100 watts less.It's just a more efficient card.

Be careful with that PSU.It's only capable of delivering 450 watts on the +12/v rail.So don't ever SLI with it.It will work with a single GTX570 though.

The GTX260 was also 10 inches long so if he got it to work you most likely will too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434

mace200200

Honorable
I originally was looking at the 6870 for $30 more than the 6850, but the 570 is suppose to be able to max out starcraft 2, when the 6870 won't quite do it. Not sure what one i want yet, it's mostly going to come down to however much money I have when i decide to order a gpu.

mace200200

Honorable

Yea they really are quite a bit cheaper, it'll probably be at least a month before I buy any GPU (I need to get around to ordering that PSU first) I'll watch some more benchmarks and stuff between the two, because honestly when I look at GPU's I look at them in only one place that's never steered me wrong before. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html you can see that the GTX 570 ranks quite a bit higher then the 6850 or 6870, but like I said, I'll see what other sources say about the two.

mace200200

Honorable

I think I like the Ultra brand one, it's guareented for life and has been $75 forever and I first noticed it because of it exceptional ratings, now that it's down to $55 I'd love to buy it, Ultra is supposedly replacing it with a new line which would explain the price drop. It also has the two 6 pin pcie plugs that I would need. Don't get me wrong Antec is also great stuff I currently run a 375w Antec Earth Watts, but do you think 520w is going to cut it, they recommend 550w for both the 6870 and the 570. Of course I've run gpu's on a supply with a lower rating, but that ones only a 5450.

Great link btw but I noticed that the 6850 and 6870 tested were both 2Gb models, I'm running 32 bit OS because I got it for free, would I still see the same performance on 3.2 Gbs of RAM?

Kind of got me confused with that last couple sentences of the first paragraph.

I'm talking about the 7850 not the 68xx series.And VRAM has nothing to do with system RAM.They are completely separate.Yes you can use the full amount.

The problem with that Ultra PSU is that it says it's rated for 650 watts but it's really only capable of 450watts.Another thing that bothers me is that it says it's SLI/Crossfire ready but it only comes with x2 PCI-E connectors.

mace200200

Honorable

Well system RAM and VRAM are shared right, but I still need some system memory to be used, so would I be able to use the full 2 GBs from that card? I thought you were talking about the 68s this whole time I will have to check out the 7k series. I can of do like the 7850 as well, same price, less power, and it seems it out performs the 570 in about half of the tests shown. But for SC2 thats what I play the most and the 570 crushes it and makes me lean toward the 570 yet. It's something to think about though and I will have to keep it in mind.

How do you come up with 450 for that psu, I didn't think there was a way to find the 12v rail wattage unless it told you on the psu itself and I didn't think it said anything about it.

Yes and no.Whenever the GPU doesn't have enough VRAM to display a frame it looks towards the system RAM.Since RAM is nearly 3 times slower(more like 5 times with the new cards)than VRAM it can actually have a negative affect.They are basically the same thing only that VRAM is much much faster.Which is why it's bad to have a GPU run off of RAM.

For playing SC you'll only need about 1GB of VRAM.Having more VRAM won't really grant you a increase in performance.But it is futreproofing to get a card like that because as time goes on more and more games are starting to require more than 1GB of VRAM.

It's a math equation.To find out the watts on the +12/v rail you take how ever many amps are provided and multiply by 12.You then get how many watts it can provide.The only problem with that equation though is that it only works on single rail's.A PSU with multiple +12/v rails can be way more tricky.

Solution

mace200200

Honorable

Alright I see what your saying about VRAM and PSU watts, I'm starting to think I might go with a 7850 I found an MSI twin Frozr II for $10 more than the GTX 570 I wanted. I never had one but people seem to like the Twin Frozr's and I like MSI afterburner, so I always wanted to try one. Espically if the 7580's are newer and more future proof I think that's the way to go, even if it doesn't do SC2 as well, but for other games. They both out perform my friends 6950 which he paid way to much for because he's stupid with his money and I like to think that I am not. Thanks discussing things with me, I don't do gpu's as well as other things.

I was looking at PSU's and what do you think of this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=606321&CatId=1483 The rails on this add up to 516w and Vision Teks PSU's seem to have very good success rates and few DOA cases. Just wondering because it's higher than the Antec one you linked but pretty much the same price.