Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] My first build: need advice

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2012 9:00:35 AM

So my friend told me to ask you guys about my build.

I wish to have a $1000 budget, but if necessary I can go as high as $1200.

I already have monitors and keyboard/mouse, so I only need the tower.

Motherboard: Link
Processor: Link (I have a coupon to make the price 259.99)
Video: Link
Memory: Link
HDD: Link
SSD: Link (Already Possess)
Power: Link
Internet: Link
Case: Link

Thanks in advance.

More about : solved build advice

August 7, 2012 9:57:08 AM

Go for the i5 3570k processor, and the P8Z77-V series motherboards. The higher-end ones also include a wi-fi antenna, so you son't need to get another one.

If you're using such a great motherboard and CPU, why go for the 570? Go for the 670 or 680 if possible. Should fit your budget tightly.
August 7, 2012 10:10:14 AM

First Of all Welcome to Tomshardware.

Theres a Proper Way to post your Questions About a New Build. Thats probably why u dont get many answers, But I really dont Care About those Rules haha.

I see you Choosed a Gtx 570 , My guess is that This Build is a Gaming Pc so let me give you some tips and Links.

At the Present Time, Sandy Bridge is the Better Cpu You Can Get, If you Are going to Overclock Ofcourse, Its Really Simple and theres Plenty Of Guides Out There, you Just need to Do some Research. If you dont want to Overclock The Ivy Bridge is your Best Choice, lower power drawn but a little more heat.

Between an I5 (Ivy or Sandy) and a I7, Theres not Gain At all In performance When it Comes To Gaming. I recommend To Go For the I5 2500k. Here i Leave you a Link with Some Benchmarks on Gaming between these Cpus.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...

With The New Series of Low Power Use of the Ivy Bridge, There come New Gen Ivy Bridge Motherboards That Are compatible with Sandy Bridge, They Have New Controllers for Sata 3 and Usb 3.0 also They have Pci-Express 3.0. Choose a Z77 Motherboard instead of the Z68.

Now The Video Card, You Can get More Performance For Less Money, And less Power Ussage Too, The 7870 is At the Same Price At 299, and Gives you The GTX 580 Performance and you Can still Overclock this card. If you Insist In Going Nvidia, Then Wait 1 Month For the Gtx 660 ti Comes out. Here i give you the Link Of Benchmarks on Battlefield 3 Between The Range Price you are Looking. Remember Higuer Is better.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

Now With the Power Supplys you cant Go Cheap, Even Less if you Are gonna use a Top of the Line Cpu+Video Card. I recommend This power Supply I have a Great Experiencie with the Support Center With Them, Top of the Line Brand, no problems at all and have a Fair Price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Case Link Dont Work. If you have any Doubt Just Answer in the threat Again some one will answer Fast Now that You had Your First Answer, Good Luck and Happy Building.
Related resources
August 7, 2012 10:14:16 AM

Uh, dude? What's the use of a Z77 board with a sandy bridge CPU? Seriously bro.
August 7, 2012 10:17:49 AM

Are you telling me I would be better off getting rid of the $100 off coupon for the i7 3770K processor and get the i5 3570k processor instead?

Also which specific motherboard would you suggest? I have no idea what details to look for.

I had a more expensive video card selected, but when I asked my friend about it he said a higher end video card was not unnecessary and I'd be better off getting a cheaper one and saving money and/or using the money on other components. Is this a true statement?

Would a modular power supply and a case that allows you to hide your cables behind the back side panel be a good idea for a first time builder?
August 7, 2012 10:19:59 AM

gxavier38 said:
Uh, dude? What's the use of a Z77 board with a sandy bridge CPU? Seriously bro.

Hi gxavier38 Ivy Bridge Z77-H77-B75-Z75 Series are Compatible with Sandy Bridge and it allows you to overclock the Sandy Bridge Cpus too, I just Suggested to get the New Motherboard Because of the New Controllers. Take Care.
August 7, 2012 10:25:59 AM

DireReverend said:
Are you telling me I would be better off getting rid of the $100 off coupon for the i7 3770K processor and get the i5 3570k processor instead?

Also which specific motherboard would you suggest? I have no idea what details to look for.

I had a more expensive video card selected, but when I asked my friend about it he said a higher end video card was not unnecessary and I'd be better off getting a cheaper one and saving money and/or using the money on other components. Is this a true statement?

Would a modular power supply and a case that allows you to hide your cables behind the back side panel be a good idea for a first time builder?

If your Coupon Only Works with the I7, Then Get it. If you Can use it with an I5 then that would be the Best choice.

I recommend this Motherboard, of the Asus Brand
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yeah, I mean, If this is the First time you are getting a Dedicated Video card you will be very Impressed with the Gtx 570, Gtx 660 ti, 7870 Video Cards, I still Dont know what Games do you want to play, We always try to get The Best with Less money Invested, So Knowing what games you are gonna play and At What Resolution Could Help us to Give you a proper Choice on The Video Card.

hahaha, Cable Management, thats something we all Like-Hate, Yeah It Would Be Best with a Modular psu and with a Good Case, It would be Tricky But you would Learn alot.
August 7, 2012 10:30:33 AM

DireReverend said:

Well beyond the looks being able to hide the cables behind the back it gives you better air flow. As for the Video card games today require the graphics card way more than the CPU. So if you can get a 6x Nvidia or 79x AMD you would be better off with a gaming rig. Can't comment on the CPU or mainboard as I have not used intel in my gaming rigs for many years.
August 7, 2012 10:30:45 AM

DireReverend said:

1. Go for the 3770k. Especially at that price.
2. If I were you I'd go for the P8Z77-V Pro
3. Depends, in this case, not very true. With the new Ivy Bridge processors you get PCI Express 3.0, so a 570 would be a gigantic waste of money. Go for the 670 or 680.
4. Modular PSU? Heck yes. And for the case, even for an experienced builder that's awesome. Helps you keep airflow and makes building easy.

chulex67 said:
Hi gxavier38 Ivy Bridge Z77-H77-B75-Z75 Series are Compatible with Sandy Bridge and it allows you to overclock the Sandy Bridge Cpus too, I just Suggested to get the New Motherboard Because of the New Controllers. Take Care.

If all you need is OCing, go get a sandy bridge processor. The controller doesn't make much difference. $100 dollars for no real benefits is pretty.... well...
August 7, 2012 10:33:12 AM

chulex67 said:
It would be Tricky But you would Learn alot.

I lol'd. It won't be tricky. It'll be super easy with modular PSUs and a good case with loads of room for cable management.

chulex67 said:
Cable Management, thats something we all Like-Hate

That's the first person say they don't like cable management.

Don't get the 570 whatever he says. Seriously, go for the 6xx or 79xx series cards. Use those extra bandwidth lanes in PCI-e 3.0.
August 7, 2012 10:39:13 AM

gxavier38 said:
I lol'd. It won't be tricky. It'll be super easy with modular PSUs and a good case with loads of room for cable management.

That's the first person say they don't like cable management.

Don't get the 570 whatever he says. Seriously, go for the 6xx or 79xx series cards. Use those extra bandwidth lanes in PCI-e 3.0.

I really Dont know What i Did to get you angry, Im just Stating my Feelings about Cable Management in a Mini Micro Atx case that i have, it was a Pain in the Ass , lots of Patience, and I Said Like-Hate. I hate to Do it but i like the finish. Anyways As i Said in my answers Im with you On the 7800 series, 7870 Would Be Perfect at that Budget .

Also I think The Z77 is a must now.
August 7, 2012 11:28:35 AM

chulex67 said:
I really Dont know What i Did to get you angry, Im just Stating my Feelings about Cable Management in a Mini Micro Atx case that i have, it was a Pain in the Ass , lots of Patience, and I Said Like-Hate. I hate to Do it but i like the finish. Anyways As i Said in my answers Im with you On the 7800 series, 7870 Would Be Perfect at that Budget .

Also I think The Z77 is a must now.

Lol sorry if I made you think I was angry. I wasn't.
I love management. Even in the smallest form factors. As long as it has a lot of holes to route the cables it should be really easy.
August 7, 2012 12:10:35 PM

Are these good choices? GPU and Motherboard

I'll change what wattage I have for the power source once I finalize the rest of the parts.
August 7, 2012 12:28:34 PM

Yes, those are good choices.
August 7, 2012 2:22:00 PM

The case you posted has been Deactivated

The SSD is Sold Out.
August 7, 2012 3:08:50 PM

I already have the SSD.

Try this url: Case
August 7, 2012 3:36:51 PM

Mmm, Its a Really Nice case Good Job, I think we are done Here Arent We?
August 7, 2012 6:15:46 PM

The Pro isn't worth the $ over cheaper boards. I recommend the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H/UD5H, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, ASUS P8Z77-V LK or the ASRock Z77 Pro3.
!