Solution
Well, that's sure only half of the truth. About 90% of all mobos are used for pre-build systems form DELL, IBM, HP and all the others and will never be changed anyway. In fact there are a lot of facts, that force the change of sockets, like adding build-in graphics, build-in memory controllers with various number of channels. Even raising the front channel speed and power consumption needs a new socket. Did you know, that only half of the pins is used for data. The other half is power and ground. And that you need a ground lane/pin between two high frequency data lanes to keep them from interfering, because they are to close? You can find some white papers on the net about this problems.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

So, I have to spend a lot more money of something I don't need just because they want more money?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Well that and there are technical aspects to it often relating to the chipsets, compatibility and the desire to continue supporting the motherboards.

Supporting your motherboard requires money. The minority of people upgrade their processors.

IN the company's mind why would they continue supporting the older version when they can sell you a new one?

Supporting old version = loss
Selling new version = gain

Capitalism at its finest.

Well, that's sure only half of the truth. About 90% of all mobos are used for pre-build systems form DELL, IBM, HP and all the others and will never be changed anyway. In fact there are a lot of facts, that force the change of sockets, like adding build-in graphics, build-in memory controllers with various number of channels. Even raising the front channel speed and power consumption needs a new socket. Did you know, that only half of the pins is used for data. The other half is power and ground. And that you need a ground lane/pin between two high frequency data lanes to keep them from interfering, because they are to close? You can find some white papers on the net about this problems.

Solution

dhruv_47

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
well intel has a majority of its cpu's compatible with 1155 and this includes most
of the new comers and the amd cpu's like am3+ with 8120
am3 with 8150
a10 and a8 with fm1 and fm2

If you don't want to change sockets very often, then stick with AMD.

Most people do not upgrade their CPUs very often. And most people do not simply swap out an old CPU for a new CPU. They tend to simply buy new PCs which would likely have a new socket anyway.

My current rig is over 4 years old right now. By the time I decide to upgrade to Haswell or Broadwell, I don't mind buying a new motherboard 'cause mine has just started to become slightly flaky, but also because of tech advancements on the motherboard.