Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New gaming computer - first time searching for parts

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2012 9:23:36 AM

Hey guys, can anyone look over these parts and tell me if they are very good for gaming? I plan on using these parts for my new computer. I find bad FPS extememly annoying and I want to run games on high - highest with very decent, smooth FPS and have fast (ish) loading times. I will also be using this computer for other things like school, movies etc. you know the deal :) 

i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz CPU

Antec High Current Gamer (HCG) 750W PSU

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.28GB GDDR5 video card - (sidenote : is there a 2GB version of this card and how much more expensive is it?)

Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM DDR3

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

OCZ VERTEX 3 SATA III 2.5" SSD, 128GB, for OS and a small amount games I want to load faster

2x Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB HDD SATA 3 600Mbps, 7200rpm, 64MB cache

LG BH12LS38 internal Blu Ray & dvd player/burner

Thermaltake Chaser MK- l Full tower

Cooling system - not sure yet but would really like you guys to tell me what a decent one to get is that would handle everything :) 

My local tech guy is putting together these parts this time but next time I go for a computer I will be making it myself.

I am sceptical about the power supply I chose. Will it be able to run all these parts with spare power for if I ever wanted to upgrade the parts? Is it a good quality PSU? If it isn't very good please recommend a better one :)  This goes for all the other parts too, if one part seems dodgy gaming wise please tell me a good alternative.

Also, if I used all of these parts, could you rate the build gaming and performance wise like

low range - low/mid range - mid range - mid/high range - high range?

A handful of games I want to run aswell with smooth FPS and fast (ish) loading times -

The Sims 3 and all expansion packs (loading time is very painful on my current pc)

Skyrim (can barely run smoothly on low on current PC)

Battlefield 3

GTA IV

Just Cause 2

ARMA 2

etc. :) 

EDIT : The total cost for the computer is roughly $1900 - 2000 now I think

Best solution

August 7, 2012 9:43:46 AM

I would go with a 7870 over the 570, and unless you're gaming on three screens, you really don't need more than 1GB of graphics memory.

also, unless youre doing a ****load of downloading, you probably dont need 2x 1TB storage. unless youre going to do a RAID setup?

I would jump to one of these power supplies, Corsair knows what theyre doing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Standard aftermarket cooler should serve you well:

Otherwise, should work out pretty nicely.
August 7, 2012 9:50:07 AM

Thanks, I think I will go for that Corsair HX series 750W PSU. I was always considering Corsair as an option. Do you think it would be worth going up to the 850W version of that model?
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2012 10:37:20 AM

Does anyone know of a good 24" gaming monitor, or perhaps 27"?
m
l
August 7, 2012 11:21:59 AM

Wait, if you aren't doing video editing you don't need an i7, you can go for an i5 3570k. Also, get a 670, not a 570. Cut down to 8 GB and from Professional to Home Premium. And get a better SSD, a Crucial or a Samsung one. Instead of getting 128 GB, you'd better go with 256, you can store more games. As for CPU cooling, get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.
m
l
August 7, 2012 12:06:24 PM

Thanks man, i'll take your advice for the SSD. Can you give me a quality, exact Samsung or Crucial 128GB model? I know you told me to go for 256GB, but thats stretching my budget just a bit. I only plan on adding my OS and a select handful of games that have painful loading times, namely Skyrim and The Sims 3.

The i7 will do fine for me as I enjoy making videos anyway, but if I didn't I certainly would have cut down to i5.

And after an investigation of the Cooler Master Hyper 2012 EVO, I have added it to my list. Thanks :) 

Quick thought - is it worth me upgrading the graphics card to a GTX 670 2GB? Is the price/performance ratio compared to a 570 good?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2012 12:30:29 PM

Kompewtyr said:
Quick thought - is it worth me upgrading the graphics card to a GTX 670 2GB? Is the price/performance ratio compared to a 570 good?

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes - don't even hesitate.
m
l
August 7, 2012 12:56:29 PM

Kompewtyr said:
Thanks man, i'll take your advice for the SSD. Can you give me a quality, exact Samsung or Crucial 128GB model? I know you told me to go for 256GB, but thats stretching my budget just a bit. I only plan on adding my OS and a select handful of games that have painful loading times, namely Skyrim and The Sims 3.

The i7 will do fine for me as I enjoy making videos anyway, but if I didn't I certainly would have cut down to i5.

And after an investigation of the Cooler Master Hyper 2012 EVO, I have added it to my list. Thanks :) 

OCZ has a 120GB for $85 bucks. Agility 3/4 Vertex 3/4 are all good. Unless you make a butt load of videos, the i5 would still be just fine. 670 hands down.
m
l
August 8, 2012 6:34:19 AM

Best answer selected by Kompewtyr.
m
l
August 8, 2012 6:35:18 AM

DarkOutlaw said:
OCZ has a 120GB for $85 bucks. Agility 3/4 Vertex 3/4 are all good. Unless you make a butt load of videos, the i5 would still be just fine. 670 hands down.

Thanks. I'll go for the 670, just might have to wait a couple more weeks so I can afford to add it in ;) 
m
l
!