Need help with new gaming PC.

My previous computer just died so I decided to build a new one. It was *** anyway.
My budget is only $700. I've never done anything with this budget so any help would be great.

I want to be able to play BF3 on ultra at 1920x1080p. Crossfire won't be needed because this will be a temporary PC till early 2014 or so.

Here's what I have:

Case: Fractal Design Define R3

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6950, 2 GB GDDR5 Memory

DVD Drive: ASUS DVD-E818A7T

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W PSU

SSD (Nice, but not necessary) : Corsair Force GT 60GB SATA III SSD


So all I need is the CPU, Mobo, and RAM. Current total is approx. $470

I already own a Windows 7 CD and a few hard drives for storage. Those won't be needed.


Thanks in advance!
10 answers Last reply
More about need gaming
  1. Its a bit old, but will serve the purpose of a gaming machine well enough.
    AMD Phenom II x4 964. $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

    Decent enough board.
    AsRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+. $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280&Tpk=970%20extreme%203

    Fairly standard kit of RAM that looks good on the mobo.
    G.SKill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz CL9 1.5v. $46
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

    Total: $246
  2. So you own those parts already, or thats just your shopping list? I really wouldnt recommend an SSD for a $700 budget. also, look for cases in the $60 range, dont spend $100 on the case.

    Recommended CPU, good for gaming:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115089

    Possible Mobo:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303

    Good RAM:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226193
  3. manofchalk said:
    Its a bit old, but will serve the purpose of a gaming machine well enough.
    AMD Phenom II x4 964. $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

    Decent enough board.
    AsRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+. $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280&Tpk=970%20extreme%203

    Fairly standard kit of RAM that looks good on the mobo.
    G.SKill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz CL9 1.5v. $46
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

    Total: $246


    Nice, that leaves a lot of room for upgrades. What if I went for the X6 1100T?

    Edit: Some room. I messed up my maths.
  4. rainvie1 said:
    So you own those parts already, or thats just your shopping list? I really wouldnt recommend an SSD for a $700 budget. also, look for cases in


    Shopping list.

    Hey, if it works with an SSD, why not?
    Also, maybe I could get a better graphics card with the remaining money lol
  5. I don't understand your budget. Have you already obtained $470 worth of parts, leaving you a $230 budget for CPU, mobo, and RAM; or do you have a $700 budget, out of which you have tentatively selected $470 of your parts, and they can be changed?
    For upgraders, AMD has some life left in it (e.g. Athlon II X2 255 ==> Phenom II X4 965BE makes sense). For New builders however, there is no longer any price point at which Intel does not outperform AMD in games.
    I'm also not sure what you mean by saying this will be a "temporary PC," needed only until early 2014. Without wandering too far off onto the tangents of endless inflationary money-printing by the parasites and the worsening global economy, I don't think depending on a[n affordable] rebuild in another year and a half is the wisest course. I'd build for longevity today. Please clarify your budget, then I (and others) can suggest some parts.

    Edit: Ah, it's a shopping list. Ok then. I'm off for work, but will try to post something later this morning.
  6. rainvie1 said:
    look for cases in the $60 range, dont spend $100 on the case.


    I might go with the Antec Gaming Series One
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129181
  7. Onus said:
    I'm also not sure what you mean by saying this will be a "temporary PC," needed only until early 2014. Without wandering too far off onto the tangents of endless inflationary money-printing by the parasites and the worsening global economy, I don't think depending on a[n affordable] rebuild in another year and a half is the wisest course. I'd build for longevity today. Please clarify your budget, then I (and others) can suggest some parts.


    Temporary? I only need this for my PC games. Doesn't seem like the best time to build an extreme gaming PC right now. I'm on my PS3 more often too. I might go for an extreme gaming build in 2014.
  8. Ok, here is a build, and the rationale for it. I have gone for a certain amount of future-resistance, so this machine will be able to last a lot longer than a year and a half.


    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Model #:Z77 Extreme4
    Item #:N82E16813157293
    $134.99 $134.99
    This board offers the latest interfaces, including PCIe 3.0. I don't think you need to worry about it becoming obsolete; consider how many people are able to play the latest games with "good" settings on their old S775 boards. I have always had good results from ASRock.

    Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120
    Model #:BX80623I32120
    Item #:N82E16819115077
    $124.99 $124.99
    A capable gamer today, and likely for some time to come. In early 2014, replace it with an Ivy Bridge quad core CPU if you even need it, possibly from the used market. See above about obsolescence of the socket; I wouldn't worry about it.

    XFX FX-785A-CNFC Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    Model #:FX-785A-CNFC
    Item #:N82E16814150608
    Mail in Rebate Card
    $254.99 -$25.00 Instant $229.99
    More powerful than a HD6950 or GTX560Ti, should handle current and new games on "decent" settings for some time.

    Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top ...
    Model #:CHALLENGER-U3
    Item #:N82E16811147060
    $69.99 -$10.00 Instant $59.99
    I've used about 8 different Rosewill cases, and been happy with all of them. They tend not to require blood offerings, have plenty of space inside, and they come with decent fans.

    SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    Model #:M12II 520 Bronze
    Item #:N82E16817151093
    $99.99 -$40.00 Instant $59.99
    People tend to overestimate the wattage they need, and underestimate the quality. This PSU addresses both of those concerns. Plenty of power for the system as spec'ed; consider a higher wattage only if you think you'll want Crossfire later, but few people actually do that rather than using a single stronger card.

    G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT
    Model #:F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT
    Item #:N82E16820231424
    $39.99 $39.99
    I've had "perfect" results from G.Skill RAM, i.e. no DOA, no RMA, and it works at advertised timings. I cannot say that even about Mushkin or Corsair.

    LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support - OEM
    Model #:iHAS224-06
    Item #:N82E16827106333
    $22.99 $22.99
    One optical drive is much like another. This one has Lightscribe support.

    XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included LGA 2011 i7 i5 775 1155 AMD and dual fan push pull ...
    Model #:GAIA SD1283
    Item #:N82E16835233082
    $29.99 $29.99
    Although not required right away, I included it anyway because it will be quieter than the stock cooler.

    Subtotal: $702.92
    There's a rebate in there.
    No SSD; that's a near-term upgrade, but not essential now, at least not at the cost of what else would need to be sacrificed; please remember the Objectivist definition of "sacrifice," the exchange of a value for a lesser value (or a disvalue). When you do get one, choose nothing smaller than 128GB.
    This PC is very similar to what I would build for myself if building a new gamer now. I think it will last a good long time, and has an upgrade path with PCIe 3.0.
  9. Do know that there will not be real pci-e 3.0 support unless you use an IVB processor. sB doesnt support it. It matters, you know.
    Sorry about spelling, mobile.
  10. gxavier38 said:
    Do know that there will not be real pci-e 3.0 support unless you use an IVB processor. sB doesnt support it. It matters, you know.
    Sorry about spelling, mobile.

    That's true. If I had the choice, I'd get an IB CPU now, but if it isn't in today's budget, I still want that capability so it gets "auto-added" later with a CPU upgrade.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product