Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it worth getting a workstation card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2012 11:03:53 PM

I'm making a computer for both gaming and 3D modeling and animation. I'm planning on getting either a GTX 690 (or dual 680's if I can't get my hands on the 690) or Quadro 5000. How much of a difference would I see if I got the Quadro 5000 over the 690? And what difference would I see? Would it be faster or would it be able to render more for me? I'm probably not going to be doing huge works like professionals but big enough to look close to what professionals would make.

Here is a list of the components my computer would have:

Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos II
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU:Intel Core i7 3770K
Cooling: $400 of water cooling equipment
Power Supply: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1005W
RAM: Corsair Dominator 16GB Dual
SSD: Corsair Force Series GT 180GB
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Monitors: two 23'' 3D monitors

There is a possibility of me adding SLI for the GTX 690 in the future. Would that be more efficient than the Quadro 5000. Please don't say my other components are overkill unless it effects the performance of the computer.
Thanks.

More about : worth workstation card

June 16, 2012 11:36:03 PM

Well, you should check the requirements of the programs you want to use. Some graphics programs need pro level cards, so if your software requires one of these cards then you'll want to drop the extra money on the Quadro. In terms of sheer speed and power, the 5000 won't hold a candle to a 690. It's two generations older and just doesn't pack the same horsepower as a 690. Quadro cards aren't built with gamers in mind, anyway. There are some hardware differences between gamer and pro level cards but the biggest change is the driver, which is optimized for professional graphics programs and not games.

Here's a good article about what you can expect from a 5000:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/nvidi...

Bottom line: check your software's requirements and buy accordingly!
m
l
June 16, 2012 11:49:57 PM

All of the programs I will be using do not require a workstation card to run.

Looks like I'm probably going to get the GTX 690 unless I find out the Quadro 5000 is a lot more powerful which I'm doubting.
m
l
Related resources
a c 188 U Graphics card
June 17, 2012 12:01:47 AM

No program requires a workstation card, no offense but I don't think he knows what he's talking about. Since you game go with a gaming card. Even a low end gtx can handle modeling to a pretty high poly count and most animation renderers are cpu based. What renderer are you using?
m
l
June 17, 2012 12:07:39 AM

k1114 said:
No program requires a workstation card, no offense but I don't think he knows what he's talking about. Since you game go with a gaming card. Even a low end gtx can handle modeling to a pretty high poly count and most animation renderers are cpu based. What renderer are you using?
Autodesk. Mostly Maya.
m
l

Best solution

a c 188 U Graphics card
June 17, 2012 1:48:27 AM

I'm guessing the default maya renderer or mental ray? These are renderers, maya is not a renderer. If so then just go with a 690 or 680 as these renderers are cpu based. Your gpu will just handle the viewport.
June 17, 2012 5:31:00 AM

Best answer selected by FLUDD.
m
l
!