Budget gaming pc ?

Hello,
I am looking to build a gaming pc, my budget is £400-£450 ($620-700) , what would be the best parts I could get ? I'm going to need :
CASE
MOTHERBOARD
CPU
RAM
VIDEO CARD
HARD DRIVE
CD/DVD DRIVE
POWER SUPPLY

Thanks to anyone that helps
Arthur
9 answers Last reply
More about budget gaming
  1. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice

Fill this out, then we can help. Also what games are you wanting to play?
  2. Hi, I would like to play ArmA 2 , gta 4 or maybe bf3 at a push but I'm not to worried about that. Ok I will have a look at that

Cheers,
    Arthur
  3. Approximate purchase date : After Christmas, I have to source the money :P

Budget Range: £400-£450 , excluding shipping and an OS

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming , school work , Internet browsing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: everything, it's a new pc

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
    Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: British websites, ones with good deals or free shipping

Parts Preferences: AMD Quad core processor , AS ROCK mobo , ASUS at a push :P not fussed about graphics card prices, as long as they are decent.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe at a later date, when I get a second graphics card

Your Monitor Resolution: I dont have a monitor, I would like above 1200 x 1000

Additional Comments: wouldn't mind led , I'm going to buy ArmA 2 , GTA 4 and or BF3

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Because my dell laptop sucks ass
  4. If your purchase date won't be til after Christmas and you don't want to overclock, an Intel i5 system is probably going to be the better way to go. Phenom IIs probably won't be around by then and AMD's quads with the exception of the Phenom IIs need to be overclocked to be viable sadly.
  5. nekulturny said:
    If your purchase date won't be til after Christmas and you don't want to overclock, an Intel i5 system is probably going to be the better way to go. Phenom IIs probably won't be around by then and AMD's quads with the exception of the Phenom IIs need to be overclocked to be viable sadly.

Ok, I know this is an ask but could you create a system for me, I tried the website you linked but it didn't show all prices of the parts
  6. Azaro said:
    Ok, I know this is an ask but could you create a system for me, I tried the website you linked but it didn't show all prices of the parts

Odd...

This is what it was, but if you're not doing this for a few months, what parts you'll be using will probably be completely different. Video card options will change, motherboard, CPU. Everything else will probably be the same or similar enough:

These are all US based links btw, but if you're in the UK, you should find similar selections from Dabs or Scan

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($104.98 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.98 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $647.37
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-07 11:18 EDT-0400)
  7. nekulturny said:
    Odd...

This is what it was, but if you're not doing this for a few months, what parts you'll be using will probably be completely different. Video card options will change, motherboard, CPU. Everything else will probably be the same or similar enough:

These are all US based links btw, but if you're in the UK, you should find similar selections from Dabs or Scan

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($104.98 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.98 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $647.37
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-07 11:18 EDT-0400)

That looks good , what I'm curios about is what do you mean when you say "the parts will be different" , do you mean that they will work differently and have different specs ? Or they will be priced differently ? Sorry for being a dumbass , I'm new to this :L
  8. Its no problem, all of the above basically.

In 4 months like I said Phenom IIs will probably be completely gone from major retail stores. In that time AMD should be bringing PileDriver online, but it remains to be seen if they will be suitable replacements for the Phenom IIs. Bulldozer (FX CPUs) definitely were not.

As far as video cards, 6950s despite being comparable to 560 TIs and slightly less performing than newer AMD 7850s are an older generation card as well (which is why they're so cheap) they may no longer be available, and Nvidia is bringing a new generation of video cards online. So there might be better options in the price ranges there too. In 4 months you might find your budget options changed, or you have new games you want to play that might benefit from stronger components. Its just too soon to really speculate too far.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems Product